what shells do we prefer

Hi all

i've joined a small walked up syndicate for this year and am looking forward to the start of season. i've only been on a few driven days before and am not that experianced when it comes to pheasant shooting i was using ely high bird 30g6s fiber last year but have been shooting the pigeons this year with game bore clear pigeon recently and i'm finding them nice and punchy and hard hitting, does anyone use these for the pheasants?

a couple of people have told me they use black and gold 28grm 7's but these are a bit pricey and am wondering if there worth the extra..

I use Eley (Super Game or Grand Prix) or Express in no.7's 32g. A lot depends on your shoot though, our syndicate is mostly walked up so we don't have extremely high birds and also we get a lot of woodcock so anything any stronger than 7's would be overkill on the woodcock.

I have tried the clear pigeon before and they are a very good shell. Most game shells will do the business if pointed in the right direction.

Well I went on a diy walked up shoot jobby and was using 32g 5 and 6, as I thought I use 6 on pigeon, and pheasant is bigger and tougher so i'll use 5 and 6.

The veterans seemed to think this was far too much lead and too large shot, but I beg to differ. They were using 28g 6 and even 7 some of them.

....game bore clear pigeon recently and i'm finding them nice and punchy and hard hitting, does anyone use these for the pheasants?

Yes, pheasant, duck, partridge and woodcock (Scotland)

a couple of people have told me they use black and gold 28grm 7's but these are a bit pricey and am wondering if there worth the extra..Stick with what works IMHO

:good:

• 2 weeks later...