First shotgun

Hi guys, i am wanting to apply for my shotgun licence in the next few weeks, in the hope of doing some shooting over the summer. Im not very experienced in shotguns atal, and have only shot a few times.

Ive read around on diferent guns, and had shots on a gun, but i know it was a very expensive one, and im a student on a budget!

The land around me is not used for crops, like other parts of the country so there are not huge amounts of birds about, like the flocks you see in hampshire for example. I am not looking for a top of the range gun, as it will only be used a few times a year and the numbers of birds are not very high.

I am asuming a 12 bore gun would be my best bet for shooting pigeons, and ocasional clays, but please correct me if im wrong...Are 4.10 shotguns much cheeper to buy? and what would be the disadvantages if i got one?

As for the gun itself, a single shot would be ok, but a double barrel would be a bonus. I am looking to spend up to 300 quid max. I cant find prices on the net, but i am aware that a new shotgun would cost considerably more, so am after a second hand one i guess. Could anyone recoment a good first shotgun, or names to look out for when searching? As i said, im not looking for a top of the range gun, just a basic one that will cover everything i need for shooting a few birds. If i can get a gun for cheeper, then i would, as a mate of mine picked on up for 100 quid last month, and hes had a few birds with it.

thanks alot for any help :good:

Edited by westcountrylance

Forget a .410 - cartridges are a fortune. For £300 you could get a very decent Side by Side or the budget end of a decent secondhand Over and Under.

It would be better if you could try other people's guns to find out which suited you best. The real point is to accept that these are dangerous weapons in the wrong hands. Safety and a proper attitude are far more important than engraving and good wood.

Ask other shooters for help. Despite the maniac in Cumbria, shooters are thoroughly decent, helpful people.

Good luck and safe shooting.

to answer your question a 12 or 20 bore are ideal for pigeons and any other quarry at that also last time i looked the price of shells were similar for both as said in last post 410 shells are expensive but it depends on how much shooting you would do with it an occasional pop at rabbits wouldn;t break the bank but a good at pigeons over decoys would.

Edited by yickdaz

hi, i just started shooting (in earnest) last august, and picked up a lanber 12g o/u for £250 s/h. this gun served me well until recently i bought a bettinsoli diamond which i can honestly say has improved my shooting no end. look about there is loads of good s/h guns out there.

happy shooting

Cheers mates, a 12 bore it is then, unless i look in to 4.10 cartrige prices and think otherwise! Ive had an introductory clay shooting morning with a local chap who has all the licences to give tuition ect, and had a real good briefing on safety. Once i have my own gun, i shal have a few days out with him as i think it would be a real help to give me the foundation i need.

My cousin in a police officer in cumbria and was involved in the policing of the crime. Her son also knew a victim, i can asure you that i am aware of the dangers, and the power of these guns.

thanks for your help.

just looked at 4.10 cartridge prices and on mole valley website they seem only to be 30-50p more expensive per 25.

I think once if have my cabinet and licence, il keep my ears peeled and check in local papers.

Edited by westcountrylance

hi, i just started shooting (in earnest) last august, and picked up a lanber 12g o/u for £250 s/h. this gun served me well until recently i bought a bettinsoli diamond which i can honestly say has improved my shooting no end. look about there is loads of good s/h guns out there.

happy shooting

you are right and i have shot all kinds meself.started with a 410 then a 20 bore single barrel. baikal s/b 12g. 2 berretas 12g. and currently settled on a miroku mk38 the only gun i have at moment and shot it at every thing in last 3 years and will never ever part with it.

Hi mate welcome to the forum.There are dozens of good used guns well within your budget range,have a look on the site i've linked for you below ,using the "GUN SEARCH "feature on the left hand side of the home page,select "SHOTGUN"then tick both "OVER AND UNDER"and "SIDE BY SIDE"next tick"12 GAUGE then" VIEW GUNS". At the top of the first page of guns you'll find several other filter boxes such as barrel length,used or second hand etc.

Heres the link and Good Luck.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/

I would say get your app off ASAP and dont worry about buying one or anything until you have had your interview.

12B are cheaper to buy, more useful and cartridges generally cheaper, I suggest some research and some lessons at a clay ground while you wait for your paperwork

.410 are good for some situations but 12B more versatile I would also suggest buying from a dealer for a first gun it will need to fit reasonably well and get some warranty

Edited by HDAV