22lr now retired

tweedledee

guys i have been getting out at the rabbits with the hmr lately and i have to say i am totally gobsmacked with the clinical accuracy of this little round. so much so that i reckon other than plinking i don`t see the sense of having the 22lr now.i reckon my fac rapid covers me out to 70 odd ms and the hmr can take over from there. only problem is i don`t know what to chop the lr in for.i have 2 fac air and hmr so i`m well covered for small type vermin and the odd close by fox.

I made the mistake of believing that my .22rf was obsolete when I first acquired a .17Hmr and almost sold it. My advice is don’t, because I later found that the farmer wanted a rabbit problem sorted out by some local houses. The .22rf with a moderator was the only viable tool for the job and I was able to shoot without the house owners being aware of my presence.

You will certainly regret not having a .22rf in your cabinet.

G.M.

Edited by Graham M

I made the mistake of believing that my .22rf was obsolete when I first acquired a .17Hmr and almost sold it. My advice is don’t, because I later found that the farmer wanted a rabbit problem sorted out by some local houses. The .22rf with a moderator was the only viable tool for the job and I was able to shoot without the house owners being aware of my presence.

G.M.

surely FAC air would be as/if not more suitable for this type of task? :rolleyes:

Shots out to 70-80yds….. terminal energy is far superior to FAC air rifle.

If the rabbits are coming out of the gardens on the top end of the farm, and are around the 25-30yd sort of distance, then I just take the Weihrauch 77.

All academic really because one man’s meat etc.

Just feel that a .22rf is always a useful rifle to have. :rolleyes:

G.M.

plus 1 on keeping the 22, i did the same as your about to do, got shut of my 22 kept my hmr, big mistake ! 3 months later went and bought another 22lr :rolleyes: theres times when the 22 with subs carnt be beat. much better to sell the hmr and buy a mans rifle i.e 223 or 243 :angry: just my expierence atb chris

I've been shooting for years, but only recently got an HMR---a re-application for a FAC. Yes, it's a great rifle and very useful, but I'm glad I applied for a slot for .22 at the same time as a few days after buying the .17 I was asked to clear rabbits in a two acre garden next to a place which does evening events. I had to go out and buy a moderated .22 to do it.

what ever you do , dont do it, i have both and like you i was amazed at the ease of using it over the lr, but and its a big but you will be clearing out lots and lots of rabbits over the next few months , then all of a sudden start getting fewer and fewer as they wise up to the sonic crack and forget the body thump noise of the lr, thats when the lr comes out again , did just that 2 days ago and managed 4 out of a 7 rabbit group , and popped another 1 with the hmr half a field over in the long grass !!!!! it was weird , like shooting a shoot for the first time again when there dumb to the noises and you can just pick them off one by one..... plus there so nice and quiet :)

With 17hmr getting ever more expensive, the £30+ a hundred mark will some be with us, more and more guys are reverting back to their .22LR and using HV ammo for the longer stuff. You can run a .22lr for a quarter of the cost of an HMR and you rabbits are just as dead.