.22HV v 17hmr

With a decent rest and no friday night hangover I can slot rabbits out to 110m with my Anschutz using .22hv quite happily.

With .22hv's at a 1/4 of the price of 17hmr ammo that's a lot of 150m bunnies you've got to be shooting to make the 17hmr worth the extra cost.

I have also read that regardless of what box you buy your 17 ammo in the chances are its made by CCI and labelled up for the purpose.

My local gunshops have all said they have seen a fair number of 17hmr owners chopping them in and going back to the good old .22lr. My guess is that trend will continue to rise when ammo prices reach £30+ per 100 mark.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

will it though you can slot them far happier with an HMR to 150 yards, even at £30 to 100 its not bad value bearing in mind you can have a very high kill ratio. They are cheaper than a centrefire it just depends how many rounds you use, I like the point and shoot though did nearly miss two last night but they were at about 10 yards. What you have is a very flexible gun for small varmints in the last week mine has had rabbits fox magpie and were it not for the close one last night it would have been on the trot without a miss. There are definite differences between the ammo so it may be loaded in the same place but whether with the same ingredients is wide open to debate. The big advantage is you aren't throwing 40 grains of relatively slow moving lead to bounce off into the distance.

Obviously i realise this is yet another fishing thread so had actually debated whether it was worthy of a response :)

i wish i could get hv lr ammo to even shoot straight in my cz ! what ammo are you using , it may be worth a box to try out ? ive never found them any use after 50 meters !

I get quite good results from Wincherster Rabbit MOA. I bulk purchase my .22 ammo after testing so have quite a few thousand in the ammo safe. I get the odd flyer but I can live with that especially when its only costing me pennies per shot.

Obviously i realise this is yet another fishing thread so had actually debated whether it was worthy of a response :)

Yet you did rise to the fly little fishy :)

I get a high kill to shot ratio with my .22, so where's the advantage? Another 30m at the cost of 4 times as much for the stuff under 110m. Like I said you have to be slotting a lot of 150m bunnies to make it cost effective. You also seem to be confusing standard subsonic .22 ammo with .22HV.

I get quite good results from Wincherster Rabbit MOA. I bulk purchase my .22 ammo after testing so have quite a few thousand in the ammo safe. I get the odd flyer but I can live with that especially when its only costing me pennies per shot.

cheers pal, will try a box or two out plinking in the fields at targets, been toying about with the lr as of late more than the hmr , been plinking coke cans at 300 yards with the hummer , and suprisingly with subs been getting clean kills on coke cans at 200 yards with subs ! not even lucky shots , quite suprising , useless for hunting though as it takes an age to set the shot up !

My local gunshops have all said they have seen a fair number of 17hmr owners chopping them in and going back to the good old .22lr. My guess is that trend will continue to rise when ammo prices reach £30+ per 100 mark.

Thats the first time I have heared that infact its the opposite with anybody I shoot with or the gun shops I use, more people are buying the .17 rather than the .22, I know if I had to choose it would be the .17, hardley use my .22 now

Doc

Edited by docholiday

Yet you did rise to the fly little fishy :)

I get a high kill to shot ratio with my .22, so where's the advantage? Another 30m at the cost of 4 times as much for the stuff under 110m. Like I said you have to be slotting a lot of 150m bunnies to make it cost effective. You also seem to be confusing standard subsonic .22 ammo with .22HV.

stone dead rabbits, none that crawl off which happens far too regularly with the .22 for my liking before you start on ricochets. Cost isn't an issue for me I probably do 1000 rounds a year and can afford it, i don't plink with it just use it on small vermin and foxes. Foxes are the big plus point with it that you have a round you can use in fairly small areas where a centrefire isn't possible, we seem to be using it more and more in this kind of situation with great success. High velocity rounds have never been overly famous for their accuracy and when taking things like magpies it is really nice not to miss them.

stone dead rabbits, none that crawl off which happens far too regularly with the .22 for my liking before you start on ricochets. Cost isn't an issue for me I probably do 1000 rounds a year and can afford it, i don't plink with it just use it on small vermin and foxes. Foxes are the big plus point with it that you have a round you can use in fairly small areas where a centrefire isn't possible, we seem to be using it more and more in this kind of situation with great success. High velocity rounds have never been overly famous for their accuracy and when taking things like magpies it is really nice not to miss them.

I suggest you improve your shooting technique if your getting to many walking wounded with a .22 before resorting to something a little faster in order to solve the problem.

:)

With the amount of rabbit control I do 1000 rounds wouldn't last very long. Have you very shot a fox with a .22HV ? What distance are you having such resounding success on foxes at with your 17hmr?

As to HV famous inaccuracy I would suggest you go test a few brands and batches for yourself. You shouldn't glibly accept everything you read on the internet.

The worst .22 ammo I've ever had was RWS subs yet some people swear by it.

I ditched a .22 purely because I don't like ricochets and lamping from a vehicle under the lamp the HMR beats it hands down. You talk the talk Jack with no evidence whatsoever, 1000 rounds on rabbits isn't much but when mostly I lamp with mates its only part of the story. We have a bit of fieldcraft with foxes so really don't need to go looking for guns to take them over 300 yards, with the HMR they are sub 100 yards and can be down to 15 yards. last nights i would think was 40 yards at most easily possible if you do a bit of prior work and exhibit patience. Where we were shooting I wouldn't want to use a LR so it sort of puts it out of the equation even though it would have been easily shot. If you get sub inch accuracy at 110 yards with your HV rounds then good on you keep using them but to me they are not the point of the LR which is a quiet gun.

I ditched a .22 purely because I don't like ricochets and lamping from a vehicle under the lamp the HMR beats it hands down. You talk the talk Jack with no evidence whatsoever, 1000 rounds on rabbits isn't much but when mostly I lamp with mates its only part of the story. We have a bit of fieldcraft with foxes so really don't need to go looking for guns to take them over 300 yards, with the HMR they are sub 100 yards and can be down to 15 yards. last nights i would think was 40 yards at most easily possible if you do a bit of prior work and exhibit patience. Where we were shooting I wouldn't want to use a LR so it sort of puts it out of the equation even though it would have been easily shot. If you get sub inch accuracy at 110 yards with your HV rounds then good on you keep using them but to me they are not the point of the LR which is a quiet gun

Couldnt agree more, and I dont know anybody apart from the Jack who claims not to get more wounded with a .22 than a.17, I have shot rabbits for many many years and I know that if I use a .22 a significant number will be hit and manage to get down their holes, the same shot with a .17 would have been a straight kill. Thankfully i also know its not my shooting but is the same with a few others i shoot with. ( all experienced shots and a lot better than me !!!)

doc

there all dead if you hit them in the head, never had a rabbit that didnt prefer the taste of hmr over lr though :) just the meat damage thats an issue for me , i love using the hummer as its so so easy.... but the bl0ody wind ! nightmare ! back the age old argument of lr vs hmr, though..

hi chaps, every body sings the praises of the hmr, (ive had 2 22lrs and a hmr and still got a 22) but nobody mentions barrel wear :) hmr barrels are ok for around 3500 rounds , and then there s****** . rebarrel if you can get one or a new rifle ? suddenly makes it alot more expensive than a versatile 22lr, atb chris

I also believe that they both have a place in the cabinet. The .22 is quiet and effective and when driving round fields and you can get fairly close then there is no better tool.

I use my .17 more on one farm which is a livery stables and we cannot drive round, the rabbits seem far more wary when you are walking so we can shoot them at greater distances.

I do not see a need for high velocity .22 ammo as subs are more than effective out to 100 yards or further if the conditions allow.

hi chaps, every body sings the praises of the hmr, (ive had 2 22lrs and a hmr and still got a 22) but nobody mentions barrel wear :yahoo: hmr barrels are ok for around 3500 rounds , and then there s****** . rebarrel if you can get one or a new rifle ? suddenly makes it alot more expensive than a versatile 22lr, atb chris

3500?! Your a lucky so and so! Mine died after 20 and now I just throw the gun at the rabbits-this gives me the same trajectory as the .22 anyway

3500?! Your a lucky so and so! Mine died after 20 and now I just throw the gun at the rabbits-this gives me the same trajectory as the .22 anyway

You need a long barrel and to stand with your feet further appart. It allows you to get a greater butt speed on the down swing. And as we all know speed + correct elevation = distance:P