.22HV v 17hmr

I get quite good results from Wincherster Rabbit MOA. I bulk purchase my .22 ammo after testing so have quite a few thousand in the ammo safe. I get the odd flyer but I can live with that especially when its only costing me pennies per shot.

I have never had good results with a HV .22lr however other people seem to have good results. You are very lucky to be able to have a "few thousand" .22lr rounds of expanding ammunition on your ticket. Which force is it may i ask? I may have to move!

The majority of my rabbits are shot over very stony ground so i tend to use the .17 as its lack of richochet s a boon.

Beretta

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi chaps, every body sings the praises of the hmr, (ive had 2 22lrs and a hmr and still got a 22) but nobody mentions barrel wear :shoot: hmr barrels are ok for around 3500 rounds , and then there s****** . rebarrel if you can get one or a new rifle ? suddenly makes it alot more expensive than a versatile 22lr, atb chris

what utter rubbish- Ive had my HMR for several years probably done well ove the amount that YOU CLAIM it will need a new barrel :good: Ive also owned a 22 LR and there is NO comparison the HMR will & does out shoot a 22 lr all day long

what planet are you from?:lol: Barrel wear indeed!

Les :yahoo:

i have 3000 keep (2500 buy) both for .22lr expanding and also .17hmr, it's not that uncommmon.

Well thanks, i am allowed 750 (500 buy) .22lr and 500 (400 buy) 17HMR and was told that it was very rare to get higher ammo counts unless i was doing a lot of target shooting. Just keep sending fr a newticket when his ones full.

Thanks Nick

Beretta

i have 3000 keep (2500 buy) both for .22lr expanding and also .17hmr, it's not that uncommmon.

But its a lot more expensive. :)

It always makes me **** when I hear blokes extolling the "long range" benefits of the hmr over the l/r. Then when questioned they admit that only about 15% of the stuff they shoot at is over 100m, and 10 % of that they could have gotten closer to if they had tried. I then ahve another good laugh when they complain about the ever increasing cost of the ammo they're shoving down the barrel.

Like they say a fool and his money....................... :w00t:

i've never complained about the cost of ammo, it's more than .22lr sure, but it's comparable to a 12g shell, which most of us will happily get through a couple of hundred in a good days decoying!

i prefer the flat shooting and highly frangible round of the .17hmr over the .22lr, but i still like my .22lr and it has a role to fill.

i've never complained about the cost of ammo, it's more than .22lr sure, but it's comparable to a 12g shell, which most of us will happily get through a couple of hundred in a good days decoying!

i prefer the flat shooting and highly frangible round of the .17hmr over the .22lr, but i still like my .22lr and it has a role to fill.

How do you come to that conclusion? Even my most expensive 20 bore shells don't work out at more than 22p each and my preferred pigeon shooting cartridge works out at about 14.6p each. If I would use steel it would be cheaper still.

A bit hard to drop something that's on the wing with a scoped rifle. Although I have seen it done.

I recently bought 1000 rounds of Remington .17hmr @ £205.00 = 20.5p per round

I also bought 1000 Lyalvale Express Special Pigeon #6 30g @ £201.50 = 20.15p per round

You're arguing over .35 of a penny.

I'm not even going to comment on the stupidity of firing a rifle into the air.

I kinda find it interesting how people get attached to a rifle or ammunition and will defend it beond reason sometimes, human nature i supose, guess with the number of debates the .22 v .17 has had on here you just have to say both have there followers, but I agree with Nick both have a place in my gun safe,

doc

I'd say I use mine for the increased power and ballistic tip over the LR personally. Our ground the LR bounces all over the place and I don't like it the HMR doesn't. Cost is one of those things and without knowing whether you're a Yorkshire man or Scottish Jack its hard to know whether that is a factor in the penny pinching debate but I'd not class it as expensive for what you get accuracy wise. I know you'll argue for the sake of arguing but for some of us its a very handy varmint round

I'd say I use mine for the increased power and ballistic tip over the LR personally. Our ground the LR bounces all over the place and I don't like it the HMR doesn't. Cost is one of those things and without knowing whether you're a Yorkshire man or Scottish Jack its hard to know whether that is a factor in the penny pinching debate but I'd not class it as expensive for what you get accuracy wise. I know you'll argue for the sake of arguing but for some of us its a very handy varmint round

Paying 4 times, and rising, the amount for a single shot when for 90% of the time a .22 would do the job equally as well just seems like shear madness to me.

Anyone that thinks a 17gn BT 17 r/f bullet is an acceptable diet for foxes needs to sit back and take a long hard look at themselves.

Paying 4 times, and rising, the amount for a single shot when for 90% of the time a .22 would do the job equally as well just seems like shear madness to me.

Anyone that thinks a 17gn BT 17 r/f bullet is an acceptable diet for foxes needs to sit back and take a long hard look at themselves.

Give it up Jack or are you just trying to annoy every one

doc

Edited by docholiday

you just trying to annoy every one

No Doc. IMO Just because you can drop an elephant with a 6.5X57 Mannlicher Schoenauer doesn't mean to say that its the right tool for the job in the hands of the other 99.999% of shooters.

Edited by JackReady

Its only a post to make us bite Doc, Mine is clocking up more than my .223 at the moment simply because I seem to be shooting in areas where it is the suitable gun. Shoot them close enough and it is fine but that is an entirely different argument and to me the extra clout is well worth the money not to have the round bouncing round the countryside but dear old Jack who I'm getting the impression doesn't shoot much just likes to argue the toss

well I guess the 30 - 40 foxes that have met my .17 over the last few years would prob. disagree with you.

doc

Like I said Doc . Just cos you can doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

I can only reiterate my earlier comment. Anyone that thinks a 17gn BT 17 r/f bullet is an acceptable diet for foxes needs to sit back and take a long hard look at themselves.

But opinions are like buses if you wait longer enough another one is sure to come alone. :w00t: