Air Rifle for Rabbiting??

niknak

Evening all, I've been plinking around for a couple of years with a .177 (had for the last 20 years). I've now moved to the country and would like to start taking the sport a bit more serious. Like rabbiting, pigeon etc. I've heard alot about the Crosman Rabbit Stopper. Would it ideally be suitable for rabbits and pigeon?? I'm on a very tight budget. Any other recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Hi Kipper,

Thanks for replying. I've heard good and bad on pcp's. And not alot of bad on springers. So either would be good. As long as it does the required effect on both rabbits and pigeon.

Budget wise i'm looking at around £200. Not alot these days but trying to feed three kids. :D

Cheers NikNak

are you looking for second hand or new?

pcp (pre charged pneumatic) or self containd (spring) or the Co2 (underpowered)

PCP rifle:

falcon

Air arms S200

AA S400 (if your lucky)

(the above rifles your should be able to pick up second hand from forums like this and airgunbbs)

spring

anything HW (though 57 is the lesser)

anything Air Arms (TX200 £160ish)

gamo quick shot S (£134 new including redot from JS Ramsbottoms very accurate rifle i know im goingnto get one!)

(again easy to buy these rifles within your budget buying second hand eg sold a HW97 in excellent cndition today with bag and scope for £170)

Co2

crossman rabbit stoppa

QB78

modified rat catcher

any of these are well within your budget new

if your goign to go PCP you will have to budget for a pump which are about £60-70 second hand

Co2 you will still incure costs as you need to buy the Co2.

my choice would be a second hand TX200 MK1,2,3 or HC you should be able to pci up one of these with scope and mounts well within your budget.

as for .177 or .22 stick with what your used to, a bunny not goign to be able to tell what size the bit of lead was.

hope this helps you out a little

ROB :D

Get a .177, a flatter trajectory and will kill just as well as .22 at airgun hunting ranges (35 yards max). I reccomend that you join www.airgunbbs.com/forums and have a look in the sales section, but put a few posts up on the site before you want to buy summat and fill in your profile otherwise no-one will want to sell to you.

You could afford a secondhand PCP on that budget, ut there wouldn't be owt left over for a divers bottle/pump and mounts + scope etc so we'll be looking for a quality second hand springer for you. At the moment on the BBS there's a fair few guns that you could buy and plenty of cheap scopes too.

Edited by whippet.22

Here is the write up from Stimes.

Sad day for Webley & Scott

Webley & Scott has announced that it has regrettably had to appoint administrators to manage the company and to find a buyer for the business. Impending changes in legislation, adverse publicity in the national press and the economic recession have all led to a position which the shareholders cannot support any longer.

Hopefully the strength of the brand name, both nationally and internationally, will help the company find a buyer to keep its historic name alive. Webley International is still operating as a supplier of airgun accessories, imported airguns, blank firers and other gun accessories, and will continue to do so.

hi niknak

by the sounds of things it looks like you'll probly be best off with a nice second hand springer. you should take a look at airgunshooting.org they are a part of airgunner and airgun world magazines. the e@rly bird section is where i got my AA s410 kit (all in pump, scope an gun) for jus under £500 :D it was months ago but it still makes me smile :D

also if you go to reviewcenter.com (that link will take you right to the shooting section) then you can take a look at genuine customer reviews of loads of air guns and shooting products.

hope this is helpfull

spider

reviewcenter.com (that link will take you right to the shooting section) then you can take a look at genuine customer reviews of loads of air guns and shooting products.

hope this is helpfull

spider

sorry have to say comics are a waste of time if you want the truth about a rifle!!! hey are good to be able to get a image of the rifle and what it looks like but that where the fibs stop, for one thing the comics get the best of the best rifles (and some even after they have been tuned i think!) the only good thing about the comics is as sniper has said the bullsye section, but even then the priceses can be on the high side.

best bet is stickignt o forums such as this one and airgunbbs and do a deal with a known and trusted member

ROB :D

i stand by what i said about revievcenter!

it'a not the mags that run that site. it's all real people that have bought the products. i should know coz there's a few of my reviews on there. they take all the reviews an total the ratings people give them then give the product a mark out of ten.

you can also order the reviews by respect rating. that means other members of the site ether say they agree or dysagree with the rating.

realy it's worth a look!

an the link i put up was to the swap shop an bullseye sections of next months mags.

spider

Niknak, Whatever you decide to buy good luck :thumbs: , but here are some points for consideration .177 flatter trajectory=easier targetting, .22 heavier pellet more energy transfer=cleaner kills, PCP great consistancy good power=need very careful handling and looking after (expensive!!!), Springers (2 types break barrel and side/under lever)-break barrel Point Of Impact(POI) changes slightly every time rifle is cocked ok if you use iron sights bad if you use scope, under/side lever on the whole very useable rifles however even the best spring in the world weakens with time and use so again POI changes but regular zero checks can compensate. CO2 least said the better. I'm sure some of the guys will disagree with me but I talk from the experience of owning at least one of each type. best of luck mate :lol::lol:

P03

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously mate,dont get a Crossman or any other C02 gun,they are not upto the job.

In your budget id get a qaulity springer,Webley,HW,BSA etc,but if you get a precharge you still gotta fork ut for charging equipment so a springer is the only serious contender for you on £200.

.177 flatter trajectory=easier targetting, .22 heavier pellet more energy transfer=cleaner kills

P03

Hi,

It is true that .177 in sub 12 ft/lbs guns will have flatter trajectory than for example the .22 but this may not be true if we step up to high power FAC air rifles. In fact, FAC rifles in .22 and .25 will many times give better accuracy and flatter trajectory with medium to heavy weight pellets than a sub 12 ft/lbs rifle with light .177 pellets.

Now, about the statement about .22 with heavier weight pellets giving more energy transfer = cleaner kills. This is completely out of line. It has nothing to do with the truth at all.

It is true that a heavy weight .22 pellet has more energy downrange than a light .177 pellet but this has nothing what so ever to do with killing power resulting in cleaner kills. I would suggest any one to look at this energy a pellet or what ever sort of projectile has as it target to be only for penetrating, reaching the vital internal organs and for expanding the pellet (if expandable) - and nothing else. More energy itself CAN NOT kill any cleaner than less energy if you have enough energy for penetrating and reaching the vital organs.

So what actually kills ? Well, this is rather simple. The destruction level inside the quarry decide how fast/clean a kill will be. The higher destruction level up to a certain, perhaps unknown border, will make a cleaner kill. Higher destruction levels can easily be reached with a moderate powered gun and not only with a high power FAC gun. If someone finds that destruction border for a certain quarry, this person will soon finds out of that more energy will not kill a quarry any cleaner because you CAN NOT kill anything deader than dead !

So energy levels can not and should not be used for anything regarding killing power what so ever, EXCEPT from one thing. And this thing is that a hunter/pest controller must have enough energy to penetrate the "outerskin" plus have enough energy to reach the vital organs and destroy these to get a clean kill.

A hunter/pest controller should be much more concerned about shot placement and making maximum destruction inside their quarry (a wider and more deeper wound channel, best is always to shoot completely through the quarry to get the longest and safest wound channel).

Cheers,

Bolta