Making a high seat

Right, i have decided i am finally going to do it and put in for a variation and i was told in the initial meeting as the land is so flat for a centre fire putting a couple of high seats up would be recommended.

Now the cheapest i can find is over £100 so this got me thinking :w00t: 'why don't i make my own?' So has anyone made their own highseats? if so how did you do it? and do you have any plans of how to go about it?

George

I've made dozens over the years wooden ones, metal ones, free standing ones, lean to ones, light weight ones, permanent box type ones, low ones, nose bleed causing, ear popping causing high ones.

Take a look on here there are plans, cutting list, loads of advice and guys willing to help. Just type in high seats in the search facility.

Theres even a guy running a one day build yourself a high seat training course. But he,s a bit a ways from you down in Someset/Devon.

Blimey Jack if you're a member on there you must be far less confrontational in another persona to have lasted more than a day or two.

Groach the sportsman gun centre do have single seats at sub £100 which may be worth a look if you decide against building your own

Blimey Jack if you're a member on there you must be far less confrontational in another persona to have lasted more than a day or two.

Groach the sportsman gun centre do have single seats at sub £100 which may be worth a look if you decide against building your own

I have had one for 2 years plus, they need a bit of a mod with both the rail height and the tree support and you will need to be able to weld to make a proper job of it

There you go jumping to conclusions again. I'll have to put it down to your age and experience.:w00t:

You can build better and cheaper than the Sportsman offering. As Pavman said "they need a bit of a mod with both the rail height and the tree support and you will need to be able to weld to make a proper job of it".

Edited by JackReady

I've made dozens over the years wooden ones, metal ones, free standing ones, lean to ones, light weight ones, permanent box type ones, low ones, nose bleed causing, ear popping causing high ones.

Take a look on here there are plans, cutting list, loads of advice and guys willing to help. Just type in high seats in the search facility.

Theres even a guy running a one day build yourself a high seat training course. But he,s a bit a ways from you down in Someset/Devon.

Thanks will give it a look i joined the stalking directory but yesterday.

Will look into this. Have done in the past and the cost of postage has put me off but my brother is at uni in exeter and so might be able to drive it back up in a week or two for me as he has a VW camper but may not be able to fit it in as he will be bringing everything home as its the end of the year.

I have had one for 2 years plus, they need a bit of a mod with both the rail height and the tree support and you will need to be able to weld to make a proper job of it

Thanks for the heads up :w00t:

George

I need a couple anybody on here reasonably local put them together for a reasonable price, keep thinking about making them but never seem to find the time. Guess I should bite the bullet and go and buy the wood. i am sure it would be a very satisfying project

doc

If you are handy welding or know someone, this may be adaptable for you.

The big problem with that design is the seat is at 90degrees to the ladder. There by making the thing prone to instability and front of the seat ends up higher than the back making the front seat bar a pressure point for the back of your thighs. You need to increase the angle between the seat and the ladder by how much vry much depends on location but I've found 100-105 works quite well.