Injured Rook

pigeon master

Hi all,

I discovered a very very cold, wet miserable looking Rook last week. Poor thing looked like it had been kicked from the nest as its legs were very deformed.

It had broken its left leg at some point in the nest but this had healed before it went for a tumble, shame is the leg has set at a strange angle so it cant reall walk.

I did think about ending its misery but after a vet confirmed it wasn't in pain I thought I'd try an give it some sort of life.

Its turned into a real character, first of all it was living in a bucket but I've now built it a pen, its getting towards the age of when it would be leaving the nest is much more mobile than it was.

Here's a few pictures of it.post-1109-1276162515.jpg

I'm hoping that he can fly with his own kind one day, we live opposite a small building of Rooks and he shows so much interest when they fly past, I'm fairly sure which ones his mother too and the young left in her nest are about to leave. It was her that went crazy when I collected it from the ground.

What I have found amazing is when I feed it in the garden every Rook and Jackdaw circle around over head as if they're trying to put off a predator eating one of its own.

Very communal and protective even between cross species

nice one mate i rescued a baby blackbird from a cat a few months back and now its fully grown as doesnt want to leave ive tried a few times to let it go but it just waits by the back door its too tame to release now it sits on the doigs and lives in the front room it was named leeroy but its grown to be female but its kinda stook now.lol

Nick,

I listened to a radio 4 programme on that lady and she talked about a Magpie that would place spoons on the tops of doors and then go crazy with excitement when someone would walk through and knock it off. Amazing to think they have the brains to have fun too rather than just a survival element.

Very bright birds, although the dogs have shown no threat he wont accept them, the picture of us in a circle is as close as he'll allow before he gores crazy!!

He's top notch, and he will be used to get a Jay I've been after for a while stealing eggs, we are part of a team now he just doesn't know it yet..haha

Oh I forgot to mention, he lives on meal worms, earth worms, cat and dog food. I did give him a few drops of water with each meal but now he drinks himself so i dont have to worry if he dehydrated.

post-1109-1276167126.jpg

Edited by pigeon master

did the said same thing but i found skegg with a broken leg so i got it straight n splinted it with a cut mcdonalds straw. it healed fine bar the slightest nerve damage in the tip of 1 toe. had him 1st in a parrot cage through winter n then an avery ..then he came n went as he liked ,,,was 3-4 years before he went (the girl i was with had a ragdoll Persian cat that skegg would lure over by dropping food on the floor under his dish then when the cat would get it he dumped on her much to my amusement but not to the girlfriends.!

go to the pet shop n ask for large meal worms they go nuts for them <skegg could ask for worms before long>

anyway good on you and be sure to keep the fabreez handy

rgds, steve

post-20426-1276167692.jpg

Edited by hookbones

Hook

I hope theres a similar story with mine mate, the family had one as a kid, it would wait for my brother at the school gates, then it would hop from post to post until he got home then it would fly down for food. He was called Duke...lived a fair few years too.

I've wanted one for years, I would never take a healthy one from the nest so when I saw him looking ready to be cat bait I couldn't wait to rescue him.

I know what you mean about the meal worms, goes mad for them even to a point where he thrusts forward that much he ends up falling off his perch the numpty..

The PM

I've just read all the posts on this thread and had a good chuckle to myself - Even though we all go out killing one thing or another deep down we're really a load of old softies at heart!

Well done Guys!

Edited by Frenchieboy

corvids are fun to have around ive had 5 magpies over the years the first one ended up getting shot by a neighbour as it got a bit of a reputation around the village for being a thieve it would get through any open window and steal what ever it fancied mainly food its intresting to watch how they oppporate and the things they get up to like winding up the dogs by landing on there backs and pecking them very clever birds but still along with carrions my arch ememy

I've just read all the posts on this thread and had a good chuckle to myself - Even though we all go out killing one thing or another deep down we're really a load of old softies at heart!

Well done Guys!

You are right there.

I rescued a drowning crow out of a humus sewage tank at work. Left it on the side for 1/2 hour. When I returned it looked like it was asleep getting its energy back.

I walked to it put out my hand it gave a large 'CAWWW' jumped on my shoulder, crapped on me then few off. Still, I had that nice warm feeling inside! And on the outside. Ungrateful ****** :)