Decoy recommendation

Bestgun

Awesome forum. I'm a newbie from New Zealand, and have been shooting pigeons for many years. I need to replace some very aged decoys, and will be importing some from the UK into NZ. Without wanting to start a fierce debate :rolleyes: I was hoping for some help. I need to buy some full body and some shell decoys. There is an unwieldly number of these on the market that vary in quality and price, and it's hard to assess quality when cruising the internet. Freight from the UK to NZ hurts a lot, so I need to get it right! I want good quality decoys that have a matt finish, good feather detail, and that will last. I'll mount them on wobblers that I also need. I'm undecided about the added value that flocking is supposed to add, and whether it will last. Please could you guys (and ladies :yes: ) throw some light if you have had some experience with different decoys? Your help very much appreciated in advance. Thanks!

Welcome to PW. There are many different type decoys on the market, and everyone will have an opinion as to which is the best. Flock decoys would be my recommendation. They don't need to be full bodied, shells are excellent.

Have a look at our sponsor (uk shootwarehouse) and see what they offer.

As much as anyone is against Ebay, I use it all the time for shooting gear.

I think the reason people get so annoyed about it is becuase they buy from people with a low rating.

You might find something local to you on Ebay, which will save on the shipping/time costs.

:rolleyes: by the way

I found the flocking on my decoys rubbed off far too easily in places. Might have been poorer quality, so you'd need to try a decent set.

The FUD decoys work quite well - Pigeons seem to decoy to them OK, but not necessarily more successfully than any others I've tried (But they're easier to carry!)

Welcome to PW. There are many different type decoys on the market, and everyone will have an opinion as top which is the best. Flock decoys would be my recommendation. They don't need to be full bodied, shells are excellent.

Have a look at our sponsor (uk shootwarehouse) and see what they offer.

:rolleyes:

i got some from shootware house they are very good :yes:

Like everything else, you get what you pay for and if you intend to use the decoys regularly, then its worth paying a bit extra for something thats going to last.

I would buy flocked decoys, or as you already have old decoys that need "refreshing", I suggest you consider the Sillosocks UV jackets, these slip over your decoys and I have found them to be excellent.

UKShootwarehouse have a banner Ad at the top of the Forum, they sell the UV jackets and flocked decoys.

You also get a Pigeon Watch discount which helps with the shipping. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated! Any additional comments would be great, so keep them coming! I should have added that the decoys that I am replacing are extremely old -maybe from as early as 1920s or 1930s. They are cast alloy, and weigh an absolute ton! I am well and truly over having to lug them around, so its time to replace them with some lighter modern equivalents :yes:

• 1 month later...
As much as anyone is against Ebay, I use it all the time for shooting gear.

I think the reason people get so annoyed about it is becuase they buy from people with a low rating.

You might find something local to you on Ebay, which will save on the shipping/time costs.

:good: by the way

take a look at PRODECOY on e,bay at the moment ,be happy to know what you think,happier still to supply you with them..keith.