Pigeon carts for a semi auto

Hi all, I've just purchased a Browning Maxus with 3.5in chamber. I've yet to fire anything through it, but on another post another owner has said that It struggles to cycle 67mm carts.

Has anyone got any suggestions for 70mm+ reasonably priced carts for decoying woodies?

Ta

JB

these guns are manufactured to take 2 3/4 shells. and are set up to work by cycling 2 3/4 loads. its a timing issue. if you put 3 2 1/2 shells up the spout you are interfering with the timing of the next shelll to go into the chamber. and could possibly cause a jam.

i have 250 2 1/2 express shells and so far they have been fine through my gun.

I`m not quite sure what Markyboy means but your Maxus will digest any cartridge you put through it, provided that it generates enough gas pressure to operate the mechanism.

I can`t suggest any cartridge in particular but I would suggest that if the owners manual says run it in with a few boxes of heavy loads first, that you do.

And strip it down and give it a good clean and degrease before using it.

Im sure it states in the manual you should use minimum, 70mm cases :) I did ask when I looked at one in Chichester armoury as this was also the case for the SX3.

Although, some have found their guns will cycle the shorter cases. Yours might, after some time and wear and tear :yes:

Hi all, I've just purchased a Browning Maxus with 3.5in chamber. I've yet to fire anything through it, but on another post another owner has said that It struggles to cycle 67mm carts.

Has anyone got any suggestions for 70mm+ reasonably priced carts for decoying woodies?

Ta

JB

I would you try a box of 25 or get a handful off a mate to try in the 2 1/2" carts & they come in 65mm & 67mm for 2 1/2". There are loads of 2 3/4" (70mm) carts on the market ie clear pigeon from gamebore for a pigeon cart as for price well all carts are expensive now. I have a beretta urika mk2 & it cycles 65mm 28g loads & up with ease iv never had a jam yet. I also have a Fabarm 368 lion hunter 6-shot that with only cycle the 67mm carts up to 76mm very well but 65mm carts it will work fine odd times but mainly jams with them.

I`m not quite sure what Markyboy means but your Maxus will digest any cartridge you put through it, provided that it generates enough gas pressure to operate the mechanism.

I can`t suggest any cartridge in particular but I would suggest that if the owners manual says run it in with a few boxes of heavy loads first, that you do.

these guns are made outside of britain,and are made and tested to shoot 2 3/4 shells. they are not designed to shoot 2 1/2 shells. as an auto when you buy it is classed as a 3 shot auto?? not a 4 shot. therefore it must go on a firearm does it not. yes these guns will shoot 2 1/2 shells but they are not built to do so. you get an extra shot buy using 2 1/2 shells. they dont make the gun to allow you to do that do they??

the bulk of 2 1/2 shells are made in britain to go into all the old game guns that are only chambered to 2 1/2.

these guns are made outside of britain,and are made and tested to shoot 2 3/4 shells. they are not designed to shoot 2 1/2 shells. as an auto when you buy it is classed as a 3 shot auto?? not a 4 shot. therefore it must go on a firearm does it not. yes these guns will shoot 2 1/2 shells but they are not built to do so. you get an extra shot buy using 2 1/2 shells. they dont make the gun to allow you to do that do they??

the bulk of 2 1/2 shells are made in britain to go into all the old game guns that are only chambered to 2 1/2.

What guns are made to fire 2 1/2" shells??? none any more!

The gun is designed to shoot the most powerful 3 1/2" shells, hence the chamber size BUT it has an self regulating gas valve which allows it to shoot anything from 28s (possibly 24 grams) up to 63 Grams and above

Regardless of shell size.

Any 3 1/2"er will take and extra cartridge if you use 2 1/2" they are all still sect 2

Its got nothing to do with timing

Copied from the Maxus owners manual........

G e n e r a l d e s c r i p t i o n a n d Ope r at i o n

The Browning Maxus is a gas-operated, autoloading shotgun capable

of quickly firing up to five shells (with the three-shot adaptor

removed, using 2¾" loads), one shell at a time, with each successive

pull of the trigger.

The gun is designed to fire light target loads right up to heavy fowling loads. . . . . . BUT IT HAS TO BE 70MM + :good:

Edited by chrispti

What guns are made to fire 2 1/2" shells??? none any more!

The gun is designed to shoot the most powerful 3 1/2" shells, hence the chamber size BUT it has an self regulating gas valve which allows it to shoot anything from 28s (possibly 24 grams) up to 63 Grams and above

Regardless of shell size.

Any 3 1/2"er will take and extra cartridge if you use 2 1/2" they are all still sect 2

Its got nothing to do with timing

what guns are made to fire 2 1/2 shells? none at all.

but 2 1/2 shells are made to go into old game guns as ive said,fortunatly if you get these shells you can load 4 into a 3.5" auto.

my point is the guns are NOT designed and made to fire 2 1/2 shells?

is that still as clear as mud pal?

what guns are made to fire 2 1/2 shells? none at all.

but 2 1/2 shells are made to go into old game guns as ive said,fortunatly if you get these shells you can load 4 into a 3.5" auto.

my point is the guns are NOT designed and made to fire 2 1/2 shells?

is that still as clear as mud pal?

Oh yeah thats right because it affects the timing of the gun............

WHO told you that **** Mr boy?

chrispti,

I don't understand what shotsize has to do with anything mate.

Anything 30 gram + regardless of shotsize should reliably cycle that gun.

I accept that the gun was not made with the intention of shooting 2 1/2" carts but maintain that they will.

I have shot my shooting buddies SX3 (same as maxus) with loads of different shells including 65 mm and its cycled them all.

Iv actually done it regardless of what the manual says.

:good:

Edited by Daveo26

at last sombody with sense

Somebody already posted "with sense" see above :good:

Edited by Daveo26

My browning hunter gold will shoot anything from 2 3/4 up to the 3 1/2

I did get away with 67mm fiocchi but i had to keep the gun clean or i would end up with a cart half in and half out.

i use prima 7.5 28gm 70mm in the baratta with no problems at all but then the urika 2 will handle 65mm carts anyway.

a friend uses the primas in his datsun with no problems apart from dirty gun syndrome.

£130 per 1000 fibre wads and i get no more runners with these than i do with the 6 30gm clear pigeons, if anything i get less.

My extrema will cycle anything, 21gr to 66gr it has had it all through it.

I frequently use Express game cartridges for shooting pigeons and they are all 65mm. Yes you can get 4 in the gun but you are only breaking the law if you do it, My gun has a proof house certificate with it to say it has been restricted.

On the subject of timing can you explain how a 2 1/2" cartridge upsets the timing on a gun that is set up for a 2 3/4" cartridge but is capable of firing a 3 1/2" cartridge?

Sure the difference between a 3 1/2" case is greater than the difference between a 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 one?

That is a bit like the myth that if you use a 2 1/2" cartridge in a 3 1/2" chambered gun then the extra inch of chamber allows the hot gases to escape around the wad and melt the shot. What a load of cobblers that is, in the time taken for the wad to travel an inch there ain't much that happens. I doubt that anyone could even measure time that short.

On the subject of timing can you explain how a 2 1/2" cartridge upsets the timing on a gun that is set up for a 2 3/4" cartridge but is capable of firing a 3 1/2" cartridge?

Sure the difference between a 3 1/2" case is greater than the difference between a 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 one?

That is a bit like the myth that if you use a 2 1/2" cartridge in a 3 1/2" chambered gun then the extra inch of chamber allows the hot gases to escape around the wad and melt the shot. What a load of cobblers that is, in the time taken for the wad to travel an inch there ain't much that happens. I doubt that anyone could even measure time that short.

The only time i could see "timing" causing a problem would be if you fired a 3 1/2" shell through a 2 3/4" gun

as the extracter would try and eject the case before it had been fully pulled out of the barrel

But if you had done that you would probably have bigger problems on your hands (or stumps?) :blink:

as ive said i have fired 2 1/2 shells with no problem,i was just trying to give the guy a bit of information about the guns. theres nothing wrong with it. but iif you start getting shells jamming and your using 2 1/2 shells then im 90% sure thats its the size of the shell thats causing the problem.