What Does self opening actually mean ?

Sako85243

Hi All,

doing some trawling round the web and was looking at some nice guns at astronomical prices

by boss, H+H, Purdey etc....the term self opening keeps coming up,googled this term but

could find nothing so what does it actually mean?

I 'aint thick (I think) :good: but I cant make sense of it !!

so whats the answer

thanks

Sako85243

Hi,

Because it's not an accurate description, Churchill, for example, changed their term for this to "easy opening". When you move the top lever, the barrels open assisted by springs.

Cheers.

If you find a book called "Shotguns and Cartridges" by Gough Thomas Garwood, you will find drawings and explanations. There appears to be a difference between "easy opening and "self opening". I quote, "The definition rests on whether, when both barrels have been discharged, the force of the mainspring (as in Purdy) or of some auxilliary spring (Holland & Holland) is freely available for throwing open the gun, and whether it is adequate for that purpose. Some guns such as the Westley Richards "Connaught" or the Churchill "Hercules" which like several others use the Smith action which are best descrided as easy openers"

The springs in "easy openers" like the Churchill do not act when the gun is fired, unlike the Holland and Holland which has a continuous auxilliery spring action because of a spring fitted in the fore-end which acts on the knuckle of the action. While the Purdy, Boss and other best guns use the "Beesley" principle, both limbs of the mainspring act to throw the action open at all times, but only can when the top lever is used.

ft

Edited by flytie

This reminds me of an unfortunate incident with a purdey, chap comes in the shop, says his purdey wont select the second barrel, can we fix it? Yes says i, he handed over the gun for me to book it in, i accidentally push the top lever and "bosh", barrels drop down "all of a sudden" like on the counter. :good:

thank god they weren't damascus barrels!

Oh well, we live and learn eh...

I also believe that cogswell and harrison do a spring loaded for end that may fool you into thinking it has an assisted opening action but in fact it doesn't

Once you have used an assisted opening action you would know what its like but is hard to explain but it does just spring open when you push over the top leaver

George

Edited by groach1234

If you find a book called "Shotguns and Cartridges" by Gough Thomas Garwood, you will find drawings and explanations. There appears to be a difference between "easy opening and "self opening". I quote, "The definition rests on whether, when both barrels have been discharged, the force of the mainspring (as in Purdy) or of some auxilliary spring (Holland & Holland) is freely available for throwing open the gun, and whether it is adequate for that purpose. Some guns such as the Westley Richards "Connaught" or the Churchill "Hercules" which like several others use the Smith action which are best descrided as easy openers"

The springs in "easy openers" like the Churchill do not act when the gun is fired, unlike the Holland and Holland which has a continuous auxilliery spring action because of a spring fitted in the fore-end which acts on the knuckle of the action. While the Purdy, Boss and other best guns use the "Beesley" principle, both limbs of the mainspring act to throw the action open at all times, but only can when the top lever is used.

ft

Hi,

My Churchill remains an easy opener when fired but having said that it was made for a one armed man ( and had various special features some of which have been removed) which may explain the apparent contradiction.

Cheers

Hi,

My Churchill remains an easy opener when fired but having said that it was made for a one armed man ( and had various special features some of which have been removed) which may explain the apparent contradiction.

Cheers

Did you pick that up from holts in the past year or two? i am sure they had one for sale from a soldier who lost an arm in WWII and it had been adapted for them.

Also a fine choice of gun i shot a regal model for '67 i think of the top of my head.

George

Did you pick that up from holts in the past year or two? i am sure they had one for sale from a soldier who lost an arm in WWII and it had been adapted for them.

Also a fine choice of gun i shot a regal model for '67 i think of the top of my head.

George

Morning, George. No, mate, had it a little longer, but it (Regal) was made in 1947 for as you say a wounded soldier. He is still alive and I have spoken to his son who has an unusual surname (which made it easy to find him) which I got from a copy of the original works order that I aquired from Churchills. The full pistol grip is now straight hand, the "twin-trigger" mechanism has been removed and the Full, 3/4 chokes arte now 1/4, 3/4. The only clue, if you ignore the easy opening which you could order as an option anyway, is the position of the safety catch which is tight up behind the top lever. All these points were designed to avoid the shooter having to change his grip.

Nearly weakened yesterday, there's a cracking Hercules (I think, they're not quite sure) c1910 with replacement (by maker) barrels with 23/4 chambers in Sportarm of Dorchester. I've decided against it but the first thing that crossed my mind was steel shot. Not that I would use it anyway, I can't as mine, as most if not all others of a similar age, is 2 1/2 but if it ever (not in my lifetime, please, thankyou) becomes necessary, this could be an investment. I was going to check the required proof pressure as these barrels are proofed for a 3 1/4 ton/sq" service pressure but, as said, I've decided against it.

Cheers,

Phil

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the explanations guys :good: thats a lot clearer now

dont think I'll be spending 50+K :blink: to experience self or easy opening

shotgun anytime soon.

cheers

Sako85243

Yes that was a very clear explanation. No need to spend £50k my Army and Navy hammer gun cost £15 circa 1959 and opens on its own as soon as the top lever is pressed. :good: Alas you do have to pull the fired shells out by hand and manually cock it before the next shot.

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder