Children in Restaurants

Doc Holliday

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to say that if anyone elbowed or tripped my kids up in a resturant I would beat the **** out of them. I am their father and if someone had a problem with them then they could speak to me about it but if they touched my kids then they would regret it.

I would not tollerate bad behaviour from my boys so it would be unlikley to get that far.

Harry

Lighten up, we've had um spit roasted since then. Actually it's quite refreshing to here about all :good: the wellbehaved kiddies on here. from Auntie. :welcomeani:

for the past 3 weeks, ive had to bit my tongue when it comes to eating out. Being a bit a Disney type dad (you know the ones :good: ) im all for taking kids into a resturant. What im not a fan of, is people letting their offspring run riot around the buffet table whilst im debating of what sauce to have on my pork chops. My two give me that look now and again. You know the one, it has a double meaning. One side of them is thinking, "Will my dad let me act like that?" and the other is thinking "Does my dad think i act like that?" Even at five years old, my daughter has enough manners and sense not to act like Tarzan whilst people are comsuming the mother of all cheesecakes. Its the same on trains and planes with me. I understand people have to travel, but please keep them under a reasonable amount of control. Bad behaviour reflects the attitudes of the parents. There is no such thing as a bad student, only a bad teacher. :welcomeani:

Aha! Now I know what MM stands for - Mr Miyagi :welcomeani:

As a child I my parents taught me respect for others and the social graces of how to behave whilst at a restaurant. I ate out with my parents and brother at restaurants all over the world from a very young age.

I have taught this respect & good behaviour to our 10 and 7 year old. We are often complimented on our childrens good behaviour and would confidently take them to any restaurant. They arent Rod & Tod Flanders like Zapps kids but they know how to behave in different circumstances. There are times to run riot and be noisey and there are times to behave - and they have been taught the difference.

It all comes down to parenting - including reward and consequence. You hear too many namby-pamby parents making their kids empty threats of a consequence and not backing it up.

That's what I'm talking about ME. You've taught your children to behave well and they're old enough to understand the consequences of intolerable behaviour. It's the younger kiddies, the toddlers and the like, who aren't old enough to understand this. I know it's horses for courses and I certainly don't have any problem with youngsters of any age who know how to behave. As most have said on here, it's down to the parents to teach their children what is acceptable and what is not in different situations. And if I should have a problem with the way someone's child was behaving and I felt the parent(s) wasn't in control of the situation then that's when I would say something to them in an adult way I trust they would be able to understand. If they took umbridge well then I guess that's too bad and I would play it by ear from that moment on.

There was no apology from the parents or grand parents that evening which spoke volumes to me.

Edited by Doc Holliday