pigeon shooting

bigball

Hi to all,

just another question, ive recently just got my licence through and was woundering whats the best gun for pigeon shooting.

ive been going with my mate and borrowing his o&u and hes been useing his auto. which would you say is best for the job i like the thought of havin a third shoot.

can anybody help me out :blink:

Don't take this the wrong way but if your new to the sport i would say O/U as you will be tempted to take a silly long range shot with the third shell in a auto :good:

Plus you won't have to get on your hands and knees picking up the empty's , you will always lose a few in the grass , nettles and so on :blink:

It's not just a case of the tempting third shot though. :good:

Semis are easier to load in a hide but more awkward to safely carry on walking up shooting. They spit shells all over the place and this makes it harder to clean up after your shooting. The empties from a conventional ejector can be directed and the ejecting shells can be stopped with your thumb and pocketed when the need arises. Semis have less recoil. If you are shooting purely from a hide then a semi could be a decent buy, but if you are intending doing a bit of walk up vermin shooting or a days game shooting then the semi might not suit those needs.

Personally if I was sticking to just one gun I'd buy.......................................

A nice SXS ejector :blink:

i use semi auto for pigeons cause its easy to load and there is always one fly over when your loading the sxs now i can have him as well,sxs n/e for walk up shooting cause its nice and light and i can keep spent cartridges and a pump action full choke for lamping (FOR SALE) although this now getting replaced with a cz .22lr,If i had to choose one gun it would be the semi auto :yp:

Don't take this the wrong way but if your new to the sport i would say O/U as you will be tempted to take a silly long range shot with the third shell in a auto :oops:

Plus you won't have to get on your hands and knees picking up the empty's , you will always lose a few in the grass , nettles and so on :look:

:lol:

I had a semi auto for my first gun, had a few guns at one time too.........

I sold the lot and brought an O/U, had it fitted and my shooting almost improved over night :lol:

i first started out with a o/u and after awhile switched to a semi my shooting improved and as stated it was so much easier to load quick recoil was a lot less i enjoyed it very much but then i got a strong erge to go back to a o/u and i did and my god my shooting has improved 100% :lol:

If you are only getting one gun, I would go for the o/u. It is not out of place in any circumstances.

I use an o/u for clays and game and a semi for hide work. As has been said before it is easier to load in a hide.

Not so good on a DTL line though as some people can take the hump at empty cases flying past them.

If you can afford it - get both.

I bought a semi after having a couple of single shot shotguns, then because my mates had o/u, bought one of those too, and have now sold it, keeping the semi,

also, its black synthetic, it gets covered in mud, blood, rain etc, a simple wipe with a damp cloth, sorted, mates with nice wooden stock o/u, however cheap, are worried about mud,blood and rain

I had a semi auto and could not wait to get rid for an o/u :hmm:

Rough shooting, I felt like john wayne and sharing a hide with someone else decoying was a nightmare B)

You also have to strip It down for a good clean and occasionally replace o`rings.

Go for the o/u mate :)

jase.

I started with an o/u for my first gun and keep it using it to shoot clays. Bought a semi when i started pigeon shooting and prefer it to the o/u. The extra shot is handy and i just generally prefer using it for pigeon. I've started to think lately that i might sell the o/u and just stick with the sxs and semi. Still i keep changing my mind every bloody day and every time i see a nice beretta o/u for sale on here.

If you cant afford both i would say go for the o/u first and then try and have a go with others semis until you see what you think.

Worked for me anyway.

ATB

Dan