NHS

JonD

Well firstly I have to say i am incredibly impressed with the service i have received.

Made an emergency appointment with the nurse at my local surgery this morning to get a spot that had been getting worse over a few days and incredibly painful looked at.

I arrived at 9:30 and was seen straight away even though i was 20 mins early, nurse examined it and straight away called one of the doctors who also examined it and then said you need to see a surgeon straight away, she went away and called the hospital then came back with a letter and told me to come home and get an overnight bag then head straight to A&E for admission.

I got to A&E about 11 and checked in, was seen by a triage nurse in about 10 mins then straight to a ward and the Medical Decisions Unit, i was seen straight away by a registrar and he said yes, we need to operate. I was then seen by the consultant and told i would be on the list for surgery today, waited in bed whilst they did obs, bloods etc then about 14:30 seen by another surgeon who explained there had been a major incident and the theatred would be tied up for the next 7-8 hours and i could wait or come back in the morning to have it done in the Day Surgery Unit.

Turns out the "spot" was a large suprapubic abcess (15cmx15cm) which is badly infected....

Was home with antibiotics by 15:30 and have to go back for the op at 8am tomorrow.

I know they get slated but they do an excellent job and all the doctors and nurses that treated me were really good.

Diabetes ruled out etc so back on the table tomorrow morning to have it removed and drained, hopefully home tomorrow :blink:

Not the day I expected by a long way, the worst part was the heat and needing a drink but couldn't due to being nil by mouth :hmm: have been drinking like a camel on stock up since lol.

Jon.

Edited by JonD

then about 14:30 seen by another surgeon who explained there had been a major incident and the theatred would be tied up for the next 7-8 hours and i could wait or come back in the morning to have it done in the Day Surgery Unit.

Jon.

14:30 hrs......major incident? :hmm:

That'll be the football then. :blink:

Tied up for 7-8 hours? :/

Looks like they're watching the Germany v Ghana match too!! :yes:

Good luck tomorrow.............let's hope they don't drink too much tonight!!

14:30 hrs......major incident? :hmm:

That'll be the football then. :blink:

Tied up for 7-8 hours? :/

Looks like they're watching the Germany v Ghana match too!! :yes:

Good luck tomorrow.............let's hope they don't drink too much tonight!!

LOL,

For the peeps that wanted pics here is, doesn't look much but my got the pain is terrible :good:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4242...mp;id=574639361

There are a few more subcutaneous abcesses that need dealing with.

Cheers Bob :lol: good excuse i suppose but i didn't feel well. Think i found the reason this am lol.

Jon.

Jesus Jon,

Any excuse to have a day off of work! Mind you, working where you do I don't blame you ;-)

Get well soon mate!

Danny

Cheers mate :blink:

Best bit is i hate football and never watch it, certainly didn't think a spot would make a hospital trip and operation :hmm:

I feel like a dartboard and hate needles with a passion :/

Jon.

The hospitals take a lot of flack but they do a very good job - Mate of mine had a pain in his chest 10 days ago so he said to his wife - you go to work I will just nip down to A&E - five minutes after walking in he was in bed - all tests said he had a mild heart attack - three days later they took him to Newcasle under lyme and stuck three stints in his arteries and now he is back home - lot's of rest and he will be OK - he cannot say enough for the treatment he got.

Dave

The hospitals take a lot of flack but they do a very good job - Mate of mine had a pain in his chest 10 days ago so he said to his wife - you go to work I will just nip down to A&E - five minutes after walking in he was in bed - all tests said he had a mild heart attack - three days later they took him to Newcasle under lyme and stuck three stints in his arteries and now he is back home - lot's of rest and he will be OK - he cannot say enough for the treatment he got.

Dave

Hope your mate is back to health soon.

It does seem like if you genuinely need to be seen you will be and quickly.

I don't know if a ranking system would work or be fair, but someone who calls on a weekly\fortnightly\monthly basis with a cold could be graded lower in terms of getting an appointment than someone who hasn't called for years.

The last time i called for an emergency appointment (13 years ago) also ended in a near hospital trip :hmm:

What does annoy me is the number of missed appointments, 485 last month at my surgery which is small :hmm: just how sick were they or had they died before being seen?

Anyway, the final meal is imminent before i'm nil by mouth again at 10pm, just hoping tomorrow goes smoothly, the op that is. First time i have felt like eating in 4 or 5 days.

Hopefully report back tomorrow.

Jon.

What does annoy me is the number of missed appointments, 485 last month at my surgery which is small :hmm: just how sick were they or had they died before being seen?

I've always been of the opinion that these should be charged to the patient at cost. If they can't pay then find another doctor! It's a bit harsh but so many people just don't care or forget. It's not hard to make a phone call if you can't make it and I'm sure even at short notice they could use the slot for someone because doctors surgeries are never quiet!

Jon

Don't worry mate they will do a good job - yes my mate is OK - was a wake up call for me as I am much older and had slipped back into bad eating habits - not half as bad as my mate but enough to up cholesterol to around 5 so off biscuits.

Dave

I am only intested if when you squeezed it, some kind or insect (s) and or bugs oozed out :hmm: :hmm:

well nothing like that, mind you the smell would be similar to a dead animal :rolleyes:

planned an early night, can I sleep..... :lol: mind you will get an induced morning nap lol

Quick update:

Well, had the op today after being tranferred to the Trauma plastic surgeons, op took about an hour as was more complex than they thought. Feeling in much less pain and a free tummy tuck on the NHS :unsure: now just have to go back to hospital every day for the next week to have it checked and re-dressed.

Managed to get them to discharge me to the care of a friend rater than an overnight stay :unsure:

Jon.