pigeon

bullet1747

I have had this before and found, but I found a number stamped under the wing, when I phoned it to give the chap the bad news, he said "if he was sat out in your field, he aint no good to me anyway, but thanks for letting me know" lol

"just forget it" that's your own decision and it may be too late due to the fact you've posted it publicly.

What you have done is illegal but we all make mistakes.

If you want to forget it, it may be worth PMing the mods and ask for removal.

why is it illegal?

"The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 has had a big effect on increasing and maintaining the wood pigeon population in the UK. According to the terms of the act, registered shooters are legally allowed to shoot wood pigeons all-year round as a result of an open license issued by the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), as decoying and roost shooting are both considered to protect the crops that the wood pigeons like to feed on. Note that if a racing pigeon is mistaken for a wood pigeon and shot, you can be fined. "

They are not pests. It's somebodies property.

"The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 has had a big effect on increasing and maintaining the wood pigeon population in the UK. According to the terms of the act, registered shooters are legally allowed to shoot wood pigeons all-year round as a result of an open license issued by the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), as decoying and roost shooting are both considered to protect the crops that the wood pigeons like to feed on. Note that if a racing pigeon is mistaken for a wood pigeon and shot, you can be fined. "

They are not pests. It's somebodies property.

WOW, that is another vague law, if one of my pheasants wanders through the hedge into your field, it is your pheasant to do as you please with!

Dubious laws need dubious attention.

Many racing pigeons decide to go feral and join the 'clan' and they become a pest as much as as any other pigeon. And how you'd know when one with a ring on comes out of a barn at 50mph is unknown to me.

To the OP, don't worry about it, these things happen, racers should be making their way home, or resting on roost, not eating crops.

WOW, that is another vague law, if one of my pheasants wanders through the hedge into your field, it is your pheasant to do as you please with!

Yes. As long as no other laws are broken, i.e. respecting seasons, not taking game on Sundays, etc. Pheasants only belong to you if they are on your land.

Yes. As long as no other laws are broken, i.e. respecting seasons, not taking game on Sundays, etc. Pheasants only belong to you if they are on your land.

Shame the same doesnt applt to his cows! I would have to buy a bigger freezer ???

i read about this somewhere and a racing pigeon owner tried to sue the bloke who shot it,i believe that it was thrown out of court based on the fact that it was feeding on crops and therefore was a pest,I thought that i'd read somewhere that the same applies to doves .i'd find it really differcult to identify a bird on a flight line at maximum range given the amount of time you don't have,generally though i won't shoot at anything unles A:I can be sure I can hit it,which is why my kill rate is so low at the moment and B:i can be sure it's a woody,I've nearly shot a bird of prey as it came over the back of a hedge where my hide was to have a look at my deeks,bottom line is to try and be sure and if your're not then don't shoot.

If I did shoot a racing pigeon at 30 yards how the hell can you see it's leg ring or a mark under it's wing when it's doing 45 mp/h i'd keep my mouth shut,plus it's well recorded that pigeon racers shoot birds of prey so keep their birds in the air and they don't give a poo

you can often tell the difference between a flock of ferals to a pack of racers.if you arrive at a field and you see ferals they normally get up and fly as a flock wheeling round then settle back on the field.racers just fly over you in a straight line and fast but some racers do go awol and join in with the feral population so it is impossible to pick out which one might be a feral or a racer but if that occurs you are within your rights to shoot them because they have become a pest on the land you are shooting over the only way of not making a mistake is dont shoot at ferals at all and that is a nonsense.

I find it very easy to see if a bird is not a woodie. I find it very hard to deciede though if the bird is feral of a racer, my permission is near to a town and there are a lot of feral and racing birds in the air so I tend to act with a cautious eye and not shoot anything apart from woodies unless they are roosting in the barns as then they are a pest to the farmer and I will remove them.

I find it very easy to see if a bird is not a woodie. I find it very hard to deciede though if the bird is feral of a racer, my permission is near to a town and there are a lot of feral and racing birds in the air so I tend to act with a cautious eye and not shoot anything apart from woodies unless they are roosting in the barns as then they are a pest to the farmer and I will remove them.

cheers for the remarks in my defence it was feeding on the land and spooked it just in front no time to identify just drop it

The bloke two doors down from me keeps pigeons,and when i was having a chat i asked about how you inform owners if you shoot a feral with a ring on his leg.

He told me that you would need to contact a couple of pigeon associations to find the owner,but he said not to bother,as if the bird was in a field or barn it was not worth having back,he said that a few of his mates have had birds returned by kind members of the public who have found them in their back yard,these birds had their necks wrung as soon as possible as they were not wanted.