Shotgun dilema!?!

adam f

Help please! Ive a couple of questions..... here's the first:

I'm just going through the process of buying my first shotgun after borrowing guns for the past 6 months.

After doing my research, I have nearly done a deal on a gun in the £900-£1k mark.

BUT! I'm not going to use it that much. Most of my permisson is rifle only which I really enjoy, so it will be half a dozen clay shoots a year and a handful of rough shooting days.

The money isnt a huge issue - but a grand is still alot of money for soemthing that isnt going to get used that much.

Will I find a decent gun in the £4-500 mark, or am I in the right price bracket for something half decent?

Adam

Your original budget is good. you will find a lot more choice in £900+ range in regards to fit and quality. Also by buying in that price range you can get good second hand Beretta's, Browning's and miroku's which in the long run will be better for selling or trading in, in future as they will keep their price better.

Regards

Mark

Your original budget is good. you will find a lot more choice in £900+ range in regards to fit and quality. Also by buying in that price range you can get good second hand Beretta's, Browning's and miroku's which in the long run will be better for selling or trading in, in future as they will keep their price better.

Regards

Mark

I saw a mint 32" 2nd hand miroku 3800 TR-1 in a local shop earlier this week for £700. IMO deffo go for the upper end of your budget, you won't lose money on them, and they'll always be in demand.

for your 1st gun- is it really worth spending £900- get a decent second hand Beretta 303 or AL 391 for my money- or if its a o/u you fancy then a Beretta silver Pigeon

Just a thought

Les :hmm:

I agree. You can get a fantastic gun for £500->£600.

My first gun actually cost me £100. It was a 12bore o/u baikal. I gave it some serious use on the clays for many years before forking out for a Beretta al391. I never shot any better with the beretta than the cheapie baikel, but i thought id "treat myself".

Ive quite a few guns now, but the one I keep coming back to use is a cheap spanish 12bore sbs which cost less than £100. If I have to use an o/u then i pick my lanber o/u 12bore multichoke sporter. They are about £400 odd second hand atm and are cracking guns.

I agree. You can get a fantastic gun for £500->£600.

My first gun actually cost me £100. It was a 12bore o/u baikal. I gave it some serious use on the clays for many years before forking out for a Beretta al391. I never shot any better with the beretta than the cheapie baikel, but i thought id "treat myself".

.and that Baikal is probably still worth about the same. I don't understand the logic of suggesting that you'll lose less money buying a more expensive second hand gun. If you're not going to use it that much, then get yourself a cheap O/U for £200ish then spend the rest on beer. If you then decide that you absolutely have to have something more expensive I'm betting the £200 one will still be worth £200 as long as you look after it. With a £1000 budget you can be choosy and get what you want and that fits well but you don't need to spend all that unless you want to.

Edited by Colster

Buy once buy right... doesn't matter what it costs along as it fits and you hit the target having been through similar my self over the last 6months and far more £££ than i care to recollect... If you can buy a gun for £50 that fits and works do it if it happens to be £1k fair enough if possible try before you buy

Apparently you have been using guns for 6 months...just what have you learnt and how much experience have you got?

Bottom line is, few people buy the right shotgun for them first time, there are plenty about around the £500 area, spend what you like but spending more doesn't necessarily buy you a gun that works for you!

ATB!! :lol:

My first gun was a Beretta 682 sporting I paid £800 ish in 1990 for a 1987 gun. It had it's 1st repair this week the butt pad had split!!!

The gunsmith offered me £700 for it.

I think £100 deprication is not bad over 20 years and have used that gun alot!

Buy what fitts YOU and what YOU like, I really does not matter what others think as long as you shoot well with the gun.

i've just picked up a parker hale sbs for £125,i took it out on some clays this week and it felt nice.i could have spent £900 on a AYA XXV,but between the two guns theres not alot of difference.the AYA looks better,but i'd still be holding a very simular gun.so what i'm saying is,you dont always need to spend as much as you think you need to.