Come on PW'ers let's get to the bottom of this for once and fo

Colster

Long puzzled me this one, some scopes do and some don't shift POI when you change mag. Personally I feel that a scope that shifts pretty much renders that feature pointless as you end up zeroing at one mag (6x for me) and then leaving it on there.

However, I'm not convinced that it's down to the scope. I'm not entirely sure how the zoom actually works but as you rotate a ring around the eyepiece to change it, it occured to me that if the scope isn't perfectly aligned then it could shift the POI, so could it be more down to mounts?

Anyone have an expensive scope that doesn't hold POI or a cheap one that does, if so how is it mounted?

The reason for asking is that I'm awaiting a variation back which includes an HMR, I have a Hawke Endurance 30IR 3-9x42 to go on it but at the moment that is on my LR and I know the POI shifts if I go from 6x to 9x on it. I'd imagine 6x is a bit tricky for 130yard rabbits and you'd want to crank it up a bit but then my aim would be off.

I don't really want to leave the scope on 9x all the time as this impacts on other things like exacerbating parallax focus issues, less light gathering at dusk and more critical eye relief, so is my only option to just go with an FFP scope (Falcon Menace?) or is their a magic solution for making any SFP scope hold it's POI at different mag levels (apart from zeroing at full mag and just having it backed off to acquire the target then remembering to turn it back up before shooting)?

Reading this seems to say they should not shift ...?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...;Number=1236944

Interesting read, thanks. :good:

There's certainly a very vocal member on there who is adamant that they shouldn't, not sure I'm convinced though but his idea of clamping the scope and zeroing onto a mark then adjusting the zoom to see if it shifts would kind of answer the question. In that if it didn't do it when clamped but then did when mounted on a gun, it would suggest the mounts were to blame.

I've not tried a Menace yet but heard good things about them, the main benefit to a FFP scope though is that the crosshairs are on the front (objective) lens, so they zoom as well, therefore if there is any change, the x-hairs will have moved at exactly the same amount so you'll still hit where they are aiming.

Edited by Colster

tried a FFP scope with the gun clamped to a fixed rest so the only thing that moved was the zoom ring.

Set the crosshairs on a distant aiming point and then checked their position at different mags: they stayed right on the point.

Not totally scientific but satisfied my curiosity and the next time on a bench shot low -med-high mag to the same point (within standard operator error margin).

Without wishing to take over colster's thread. Would this be a reasonable reason to send the scope back to manufacturer and would they just repair it or give you a new one :good:

And do faulty leupolds go back to the states or get fixed here?

Hope you don't mind Colster. Glad you brought it up as I've had the same 'problem' and have been shooting on just one fixed power instead of varying the scope.

ATB