Lead & Pigeons

ochre

RRUK,

For once I think I agree with you, despite the fact that I find your style of posting, (all joined up sentences, no paras), a bit difficult to read.

Rob i like your style mate :) Catamong go play with your rattle and stop criticising peoples typing and literacy skills.

Hesky

Edited by hesky

LB,

My Clay Shooting scores definitely suffer when I've been shooting too many Woodies, and I'm a AAA Class shot in Sporting...!!

A guy I shoot clays with regularly who has a very promising 14 year old son has actually stopped him from shooting Woodies because his scores were suffering so badly.

Having said that, if you're a mediocre shot, I suppose any practice is good practice.

Catamong.

And thats why I do so many clays Catamong, ask Dunganick :*)

It doesnt explain the legend that is known as G. Digweed, clays or whatever, if it flies it dies :rolleyes: :thumbs: ;)

LB

Having just aquired my first shotgun I have been asking my mentor yet more questions particularly on this subject. Unfortunately I havent had the chance yet to put his words of wisdom into practice so I don't know if it will work but the theory sounds good.

I'll explain it as best I can. Pulling the rifle from behind the bird and along its direction of travel, say bum, belly, beak, bang (to yourself :*) ) whilst keeping your aim up with the part of the bird you are saying and pulling the trigger on the bang. In theory, this should provide the correct amount of lead. But given the variables, speed, distance, quarry size, wind, etc I think it is meant more of a guide to me as a complete novice with a shotgun.

Any (sensible) thoughts gents?

Having just aquired my first shotgun I have been asking my mentor yet more questions particularly on this subject. Unfortunately I havent had the chance yet to put his words of wisdom into practice so I don't know if it will work but the theory sounds good.

I'll explain it as best I can. Pulling the rifle from behind the bird and along its direction of travel, say bum, belly, beak, bang (to yourself :*) ) whilst keeping your aim up with the part of the bird you are saying and pulling the trigger on the bang. In theory, this should provide the correct amount of lead. But given the variables, speed, distance, quarry size, wind, etc I think it is meant more of a guide to me as a complete novice with a shotgun.

Any (sensible) thoughts gents?

Get on some clays mate, start with a known 'easier' ground to get your confidence going. I don't know any down your way, but I would say give the likes of Caterham Clays or Horne a miss for a while, someone on here will know where to go.

Pretty soon after that, get your money out and go and have a lesson or 2 with a decent instructor.

Then just practice, practice and more practice.

After about 15 years or so it should all start to come together :rolleyes: :thumbs:

I wouldn't call it a rifle either, you may start confusing people ;)

have a lesson from a well known instructor

this way you will be taught how to shoot properly from the start, and as such wont have to go and have lessons in 6months time once you have developed bad habbits.

and shoot a regular number of clays, practice helps, but its not always the answer

i know a man who shot several hundred thousand carts over two years, he is shooting most days, has more money than sense (probably not true actually), and told me and my dad that he used to shoot several hundred clays a day, and after the first 100 you dont learn anything, your just shooting for the sake of it. he now only shoots a few hundred a week (only :rolleyes: ) and recons his shooting has got better for it.

i dont make this up, the guys a professional rich guy. owns a bently which he has just paid 70,000 to have rebuilt by the lads at bently, becuase he didnt like any of the new bentlys.

he has a krieghoff which he has sent back to the factory a good number of times, and recieved a personal letter from the owner of krieghoff, telling him that he disrespects his guns and should take more care of them.

his spare gun is a very fancy berreta (dont know what model, as i cant tell them apart) but its got an adjustable cheek piece, one of the hydrolic recoil pads, and an amazing piece of wood.

the man just amazes me. and he shoots 46's on a 50 sporting layout when playing around. i dont know if he is in a team or not, but i would imagine he is good enough to be.

but the motto of this story is (if there is one) , do a reasonable amount of practice, but dont wear yourself out, you wont learn anything once your knackered.

clays are a waste of time as practice for shooting pigeons, both totally different.

Although i personally have never had one a lesson will help with MOUNT, FIT, TECHNIQUE etc.

If you are doing a fair bit of pigeon shooting it becomes instinct and a decoying pigeon should rarely escape the both barrels if your competent. BUT if you haven't shot pigeons for a while or as i do shoot a different species e.g. duck i find it takes a while to get up to speed and get your eye in.

Your a born with ability not skill, skill is learned through practice!

IRWF,

At last, a sensible post. I agree with every word mate, skill with a gun is learned, and the more you shoot, the more you learn. :thumbs:

Other posters seem to think that you only have this skill if you are either in the trade, a gunsmith, shooting coach, or a top clay shot. The secret is to be out there shooting, several times a week if possible and, as far as pigeon shooting is concerned, with enough land, and pigeons, to choose the times when it is right to set up your decoys, and when not to bother. I sometimes go out, walk the birds off, wait until I can see they won`t come back, then go to another farm. Where they don`t come back I set up before dawn, so that they are not spooked by a man walking onto the field, and stay in the hide and kill `em!! It works for me!! :rolleyes:

Thats all very well guys and I hear what your saying but your not helping! Advice is what is needed here not a history lesson. Sorry but how am I or other novices going to learn by hearing your testemonials?!

Practice, Practice, Practice, yes, yes, yes, but practice what?

OR get to a good sporting layout, have a crossing target that is dropping about 30-35 yards away from you, OR a target that is coming directly at you and is dropping at the same time OR a target that is hovering OR a target that is crossing at high speed OR one dropping out of the sky at high speed only to suddenly jink at the last min. The list i endless!!

There never has, is or will be a layout where you can replicate shooting a real pigeon, thats the beauty of decoying these wonderful birds! No clay will ever be as good as the real thing my friend! :rolleyes:

Axe,

Until you find a shooting school that throws up live woodpigeons for you will have to learn with a few clays. If you can't hit them consistantly I wouldn't advise going out into the field, others may disagree, I am sure they will.

I am not saying shoot 1,000's of clays just enough to get the hang of perceived lead, and then get out and shoot some live stuff. A coach will tell you where you are missing (if you do miss) you will never know that in the field on your own with a sky full of pigeons.

As for 'practice what' until you know what you can and can't hit it is impossible to say, who knows you may be the next Digweed or you may be completely useless, until you try you will never know :rolleyes:

Axe,

The advice from others to get out and shoot Pigeons is pretty sound.

I've coached a number of newcomers to the sport at Clays, and also introduced a number of newbies to the joy of shooting woodies over deeks.

I don't claim to have any special techniques, as i'm not a coach with any formally recognised qualifications, however I have observed a number of points over the years, which are:

1. I've never met a "Natural" shot, and I believe that everybody starts in this game with broadly the same level of ability, (assuming normal eyesight & reasonable intelligence).

2. Those that turn more readily from "average" into "good" shots are those that seem to have the ability to learn quicker than others. Time and time again i've stood behind somebody shooting a particular clay, saying to them "you're behind it..give it more lead..!!", there are some that simply cannot seem to give the bird more lead, others will listen, hit the clay and learn from it.

3. I cannot over emphasise the importance of "thinking like a Pigeon" when planning a days shooting. It's vitally important to properly recce the whole area before setting up, how often do you read posts that say "Had 5 shots, hit 2 birds, then nothing for the next 4 hours".... I've got better things to do with my time than sitting in a freezing hedgerow in the middle of Winter waiting for the next straggler to fly past, so do your homework, find out the day before where they're feeding, get your mates to cover the other local rape fields, take plenty of shells, and enjoy the sport.

4. Most newbies struggle to find the "right" time to shoot a bird when decoying, and consequently shoot at a lot of birds too late, i.e. after they've seen the pattern, and have most probably been spooked by it, and are therefore jinkxing away under power. It's difficult to kill a going away bird, and you should always aim to take the bird on the way in. Don't wait for it to land, as most won't..!!

5. As the legendary Pigeon shooter Richard Arnold once said, "Don't stint Labour", in other words, take as many deeks as you can possibly carry, put out 2 rotary's on rape if possible, and work hard at your shooting. Don't sit down on a seat all day with your eyes focused only over the pattern, keep standing up, try and maintain 360 degree vision, as no matter how good your deeks are, you will always find the odd bird that will fly past the pattern well within range but with no intention of coming to join the party, and if your **** is glued to a seat, by the time you see him, he'll be gone.

Hope my advice is of some assistance, (no doubt i'll be shot down in flames by RRUK, but who cares, it's Christmas..!!)

Catamong.

Nothing wrong with the previous Advice Axe.

However I would be inclined to practice on the Skeet layout ............Open chokes ,using 9s for shot and you'll be shooting no further than 25 yds ............This will give you an incite into the relationship between the Gun and a moving target . :)

For Shot travelling 1400fps at a clay 20 yds away you'll be surprised at how much lead you have to give a crosser to hit it :)

Ive

Well I took my new Berretta Urika out with Sussex Lad for a 'so hows this all done?' session for an hour yesterday afternoon. After having made our way to the to an area with many crows we settled down.

After a few shots to get used to it, I settled in to 'having a go'. Call it beggingers luck, but the first shot brought down a big black crow.

The only problem now, is that i'm hooked! What a great time out. :P

Cheers Sussex Lad. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys ;) I know too well tnhe path i'm about to tread. I've even framed the first cartridge which i'm sur eis gold plated around the edges. :thumbs:

If I keep us this up though, will you ant some lessons. PW discount of course (hark at me) :thumbs:

Is that Axe still carping on about PW 'discount' again..... ;) :thumbs:

Glad to hear my trusty old 'B' is doing the biz.

Keep going Axe and as the man said "it's downhill aaaalll the way" from now on. :thumbs:

Happy New Year all

Enzo