best .223 for £200 to £400

flash

my dads looking will be looking for a .223 for when he gets the variation and he is not sure what make to buy.it will be primarily for foxing and a bit of target shooting

flash

it would need to be screwcut for a silencer as he wouldnt want to risk getting one threaded if it didnt pass the proofing

Edited by flash

it would need to be screwcut for a silencer as he wouldnt want to risk getting one threaded if it didnt pass the proofing

Flash, I would honestly say that you would have more chance of being struck by lightening and winning the lottery on the same day, than a rifle not passing proof after screw-cutting. ;)

G.M

You may be looking at a bit of a ropey Tikka unless you upped the budget a bit.

man at the gun shop said all tikka,s are made this way. :lol:

all tikka's are made by sako, and they arnt ropey :)

never come across a bad tikka, lovely guns, little pricey these days.

i will give you my verdict on the Howa 1500 in a few months, action will cost £350 and you could have a laminate stock made for as little as $99 plus a few $ for shipping, some bases and your away. the action is based loosely on rem 700, sako and is the same gun as a weatherby vanguard (spelling?)

• 2 weeks later...
i will give you my verdict on the Howa 1500

Nick

Anything the Japs do these days is 100% spot on ................This should turn out to be a first class gun .............It'll be interesting as no one else on here as owned one so you'll be the first.

Has i said in PWA leave it be and see how it performs before floating the barrel. ;)

Them slant eyed fellows are clever ******* when it comes to making things and by altering the factory spec you might end up regretting it :thumbs:

Ive

Nick,

I've mostly heard good things about Howas. I've seen two and the owners were very pleased with them. Don't buy the synthetic stocked one though, they are very flimsy and would be hopeless to use with a bipod! As you say there are other options when it comes to stocks, though the wood and laminate ones are pretty good value and look very good.

Chris

i will give you my verdict on the Howa 1500

Nick

Anything the Japs do these days is 100% spot on ................This should turn out to be a first class gun .............It'll be interesting as no one else on here as owned one so you'll be the first.

Has i said in PWA leave it be and see how it performs before floating the barrel. ;)

Them slant eyed fellows are clever ******* when it comes to making things and by altering the factory spec you might end up regretting it :thumbs:

Ive

Trouble is mate that the stock it will sit in will be a custom stock (not factory, or even made by howa) , and as such i will float it straight away, if it does proove it shoots better unfloated, i will simply bed the barrel (more consistant than a wood/metal fit)

The reason i have chosen the custom stock, is becuase of the awful synthetic stock, and becuase i can build up a gun with a high grade custom stock, for pretty much the same money a factory gun with the factory (actually a boyds) laminated thumbhole stock, which i dislike the colours of.

at the moment there are two things slowing the project down.

first is my .223 variation, which i dont actually have yet. (been with plod about 2 weeks now)

second is the custom stock, which is going to be here in about 6 weeks.

pretty much everything else is sitting next to me, itching to get used.

hopefully i will get the rifle trade price, and as such, the rifle and stock will cost about £450 plus a few hundred £ worth of bipods, scopes, dies, brass etc... and im away.

i will be working up a kind of diary as i go along, and will make a post once its been put together.

Edited by dunganick

Err…bought one of the first in the country @ 8 years ago. Bloody good gun. Wish I’d never sold it. ;)

Howa1.jpg

Oh,....... the comb conversion was my own work.

G.M.

Edited by Gemini

I found the cheek-piece to be a little bit too big on that rifle, and that’s why I planed it off and cut the adjustable bit in.

The gun was in .222Rem and was very heavy with a very long bolt action due to Howa making one action for several different calibres. The action was bloody massive for such a small calibre, and added to the overall weight, but it did mean that the strike was able to be observed.

The bolt did tend to lift whilst carrying and although not too discerning, it did become a habit to make sure it was fully down before taking a shot.

It had an integral magazine with an opening floor-plate that enabled it to be unloaded from the bottom and the only reason I sold it was because I wanted a .243.

It was made for RWS and was sold as the RWS 89. ;)

G.M.

Nick, have you ever thought of trying one of these below, its the Kevlar varmint stock?

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=13

and:

http://www.snipercentral.com/cz527.htm

It might save you a lot in the long run.

Altough you have said you already got the stock ect.

Just a thought anyhow. ;)

Edited by Frank

the tactical CZ is £979, my whole gun assembled wont cost 2/3rds of that.

its mainly a money thing. i like the CZ's i have one, and use a old one in 22 hornet for most of the sporting competitions i do. but i think i can get a gun which i personally will like alot more, with a nicer bit of wood on it, for almost the same price as a new CZ with standard barrel etc...

i did consider several others, including CZ, and i did get offered a model 70 for not alot of £, but ive set my heart on the howa, so we shall see how it goes.

Err…bought one of the first in the country @ 8 years ago. Bloody good gun. Wish I’d never sold it. :P

I knew as soon as i posted this that this would happen Gemini :*) .......Theres always one ;)

Sussex

As I am a member of a Rifle and pistol club my gear comes automatically under their cover .........Which i'll add was a pleasant surprise :lol: ........I have Checked :thumbs:

I did look into it though some time back and Churchill will cover your guns under their contents so long as they each don't exceed a certain price range and that the cover is the one where your contents are covered outside the home .

CIS who I was with at the time would'nt even entertain such a cover :thumbs:

Hope this is of some use

Ive

CIS who I was with at the time would'nt even entertain such a cover

Another reason not to shop at the CO-OP.

The first being that they wont allow hunting on their farms!

Frank, hadn't you realised that Nick likes something 'different'.

I am very surprised that he has lowered his standards and gone for .223!

I was looking forward to hear about a .22PPC from somebody.