Monday Night's Bag

ollie

Went out on Monday evening with the CZ .22lr for a bit of bunnie control. The plan was to go to the first permission for a few hours and then onto the golf course close by when it got dark. Ended up shooting 12 at the first location; however, 8 of these had mixy so they got left in the ditch. This area has loads of bunnies but half of them seem to have mixy and the rest don't, which gets me thinking that some of the rabbits are building up a certain immunity to the disease. B)

We then went got a chippy and waited till it got dark; as soon as it got dark the heavens opened so that was another half hour stuck in the car. Finally the rain stopped and we got out on the course with the lamp and shot 2 rabbits nearly straight away. Then....I was walking down the side of a tee-box when my feet left me (due to the downpour and hard ground), the rifle was slinged over my shoulder and I landed on top of the scope. I thought this was the night ruined, so I said to my mate we'll try the next rabbit and if we miss the scope must have moved...next rabbit down :yp: , so we continued on for another half hour and bagged another few.

Below is a pic of the bag, we ended up shooting 21 in total (8 mixy's not included in the pic) and I was impressed how much my accuracy is improving. My highlight was shooting a bunny at 90 yards, my furthest shot so far. Was also relieved I had my scope mounted so well and that the fall wasn't any more serious.

post-21-1279229963.jpg

thats what its about,few bunnies less to do any damage.nice shooting ollie also what scope is on your cz mate,

It is a Hawke Nite-Eye 3-9x50, with illuminated reticle. Cost me £50 brand new; to be honest it is good enough for a .22lr.

It's quite surprising how much punishment some scopes will take yet others fall apart as soon as you look at them! You were lucky and no doubt thankfull.

I have heard that rabbits can develop a degree of imunity to mixy just as some can recover from it. Thankfully I do not have any signs of it on any of my permissions but I am not going to say too much as i do not believe in tempting providence. Even if I were to get a few with mixy I would use them for my "Bait Station" as i am sure that once i had chopped them all up Charlie would not know the difference of complain!

Anyway, good shooting and a very good write up mate.

Good luck for the future! :yp:

It's quite surprising how much punishment some scopes will take yet others fall apart as soon as you look at them! You were lucky and no doubt thankfull.

I have heard that rabbits can develop a degree of imunity to mixy just as some can recover from it. Thankfully I do not have any signs of it on any of my permissions but I am not going to say too much as i do not believe in tempting providence. Even if I were to get a few with mixy I would use them for my "Bait Station" as i am sure that once i had chopped them all up Charlie would not know the difference of complain!

Anyway, good shooting and a very good write up mate.

Good luck for the future! :yp:

Thanks Frenchie. Was suprised that this cheap scope was able to take such a whack and still be spot on. Never even thought of using them on a bait station, but some of them were so bad with the awful disease that I hardly wanted to touch them.

well done mate,i was down the glens direction the other night. seemed to be a few rabbits down your way. very few up my direction.

Yeh we are lucky to have a lot of bunnies at the moment, but it hasn't always been this way.

ollie where you at the place i got grief from the peelers last year , i was at it a few weeks ago to shoot a bunny to get the skin to put on a dummy for the dog and there was dead rabbits everywhere mixy had hit it

Yes mate was at the very place. There are some of the rabbits which have it but also a lot of healthy bunnies. Don't think the peelers are as bad in the area anymore because we haven't had any more trouble with the dog men.

they will do come the winter time

I don't know if they will; I think they got put off a bit when my uncle posted an article in the News Letter.

well done ollie, nice read. A feel a competion coming on LOL.

Ah come on you've got a few months head start on me :rolleyes: , although bring it on cos those Eley Subs are deadly accurate.

I don't know if they will; I think they got put off a bit when my uncle posted an article in the News Letter.

Ah come on you've got a few months head start on me :rolleyes: , although bring it on cos those Eley Subs are deadly accurate.

just give me the nod and i'll be on ure door step lol.

Glensman: Didn't know you had seen them a few weeks back. Need to get out lamping when you get home mate.

Have to agree Tweedledee, the lurcher men who were causing us grief were at deer on a farm belonging to my mate. They were nasty pieces of work, threatened farmers, members of the public and shooters.

i know plenty of shooters who think they dont need permission, to be honest when i was lamping with my lurchers i lamped where i liked with or without permission but i never gave grief or damaged property and the few times when i got caught lamping by the farmers where i hadnt permission when they realised i was after foxes i usualy ended up getting permission to come back anytime i wanted, there is a crowd from portadown/lurgan they are the 1s giving the grief my way

i know plenty of shooters who think they dont need permission, to be honest when i was lamping with my lurchers i lamped where i liked with or without permission but i never gave grief or damaged property and the few times when i got caught lamping by the farmers where i hadnt permission when they realised i was after foxes i usualy ended up getting permission to come back anytime i wanted, there is a crowd from portadown/lurgan they are the 1s giving the grief my way

Had that lot round here as well, bloody dogs got in with the horses! :good:

Good do on the rabbits ollie :hmm:

Glensman: Didn't know you had seen them a few weeks back. Need to get out lamping when you get home mate.

Have to agree Tweedledee, the lurcher men who were causing us grief were at deer on a farm belonging to my mate. They were nasty pieces of work, threatened farmers, members of the public and shooters.

Didnt see them myself, 2 farmers came up to me in a jeep and said there were fellas with rifles and they had dogs, were comin up to make sure we didnt have lurchers with us- which of course we didnt... Once the farmers realised who I was and who I was shooting for (I know almost every farmer in that area) everthing was sweet. Told them I'd keep my eyes open for those **** with the dogs.

And yes Ollie mate, I'll be back 2nd of August and I'm gonna be doin Very little drinkin when i get home! So we'll lamp away!

Edited by Glensman

Didnt see them myself, 2 farmers came up to me in a jeep and said there were fellas with rifles and they had dogs, were comin up to make sure we didnt have lurchers with us- which of course we didnt... Once the farmers realised who I was and who I was shooting for (I know almost every farmer in that area) everthing was sweet. Told them I'd keep my eyes open for those **** with the dogs.

And yes Ollie mate, I'll be back 2nd of August and I'm gonna be doin Very little drinkin when i get home! So we'll lamp away!

I'm the same mate, know every farmer around that area and they are sound. I'm on a stag in Galway this weekend so after that I'll not be at much drinking either.