computer help needed.

gibby

I had a virus the other day, and after much hair pulling managed to get rid of it. However there is still some sort of gremlin on the computer. Whenever I search something on google, and go to click on the link it will re-direct me to another page. I've scanned with malaware but its not picking anything up. What do I need to do to sort it out?

Gibby

I have a similar problem with google-and Bing, most times I get re-directed to another search engine site

Ran my MacAfee security and still get the problem some times- so curious to know of a cure myself

Les :good:

Edited by Lez325

Try this - go to - Start - programs - Accessories - Sytem tools - system restore. This allows you to restore your cmputer to an earlier date. If it works update your anti virus software - I use microsoft essentials from the microsoft website - it's free - and brilliant - Bigrob.

Not sure what the virus was called but it installed a program called antivirus soft plus onto the computer and would give me all these pop ups saying such and such action was blocked due to it being infected. When trying to go on the net it had installed a proxy so at first would not let me use it saying page is blocked as it could do harm, and was prompting me to buy some shoddy program. I am using malware bytes to scan it but the same problem with re directing me keeps coming up.

Gibby

Similar thing happened to my PC a few weeks ago. Had a pop up saying that AVG had found and blocked a virus, however one got through undetected. This was from the HMRC website!!

To cut a long story short, web redirects were happening like yours, ran Malwarebytes in safe mode, still the same. Downloaded a file called TDSSKiller from Kaspersky. Ran it. Job done.

sounds like you have a trojan of some kind,

If you can get it removed by using malware tools then all well and good but i doubt it, If you still have problems seriously check out bleeping computers,

like Pigeon watch it is a Forum , only with a different interest. It is set up by PC Geeks who love to help out PC problems, they sorted mine out some time ago. :good:

Edited by Dougy

Try this - go to - Start - programs - Accessories - Sytem tools - system restore. This allows you to restore your cmputer to an earlier date. If it works update your anti virus software - I use microsoft essentials from the microsoft website - it's free - and brilliant - Bigrob.

this will not remove any files, just restore yoiur setting to an earlier mode.

The easiest thing that I've found that works well is to install Avast Antivirus free version.

Disable any other AV you've got of course so they don't conflict.

On the Avast interface select Menu then select schedule boot time scan . when you click OK then Avast will restart your PC and then scan it in DOS. When it finds the infected file just select delete all and it will scan and remove infected files automatically.

Once done it will continue to boot up into Windows

:good:

had the exact same problem............

couldn't get rid of it with malaware etc so took it to local computer repair place.

They couldn't get rid of it either so they reinstalled it from scratch.

(back up everything important and start again)

I am now using microsoft security essentials as antivirus

Edited by peek-at