28gm 7.5's for woodies?

I've recently started using Eley First 28gm 7.5's on pigeon! I immediately noticed that they're very clean killers plus they're very fast with being a clay cartridge, around 1400fps i think! I bought them because they're cheap and intended on using them for clays. The next day i accidentally loaded them into the car instead of my usual 6's the night prior to a days pigeon shooting! When i arrived at the field and unloaded i was devastated to discover that I'd loaded the wrong cartridges into my car and considered returning home for my others. I thought long and hard about it and decided to put them into practice on the field. I told myself i was just going to shoot at the birds that decoyed well but i instinctively started shooting at the high birds too and to devastating affect! I wouldn't look back at 6's now and was wondering if anybody else has discovered this devastating 28gm load for pigeons? :yes:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use them all the time for woodie's, no complaints here :yes:

No doubt it wont take long for a post saying you should be using 32g 5's or bigger :sneaky2::shifty:

I'm sure they will, talking about shot size usually does start off a big debate! :shifty:

I prefer 9s 21 grams myself :yes:

28grams Yes 7.5 on average No .

I am willing to head to head with any shooter with them using 7.5s and me 6s .

And I bet I would win kill to cartridge ratio.

Regards OTH

I'm sure it's mainly down to how accurate the shooter is and as a shooter who once used 6's for pigeons i can say that 28gm 7.5's are no better or worse when it comes to dispatching birds in the air! :sneaky2:

I'm sure they will, talking about shot size usually does start off a big debate! :sneaky2:

Use what you like mate, don't take any notice of anyone on here.

I've got some 21g steel 9's for the game season. I'm sure if the birds are close enough they'll do the job well enough :yes:

I'm using my semi this season so if the first two don't work the third should bring 'em down :shifty:

Use what you like mate, don't take any notice of anyone on here.

I've got some 21g steel 9's for the game season. I'm sure if the birds are close enough they'll do the job well enough :yes:

I'm using my semi this season so if the first two don't work the third should bring 'em down :sneaky2:

I don't use a semi but point taken! :shifty:

I am not arguing whether they work well for you or not, but just be aware that according to Eley website the Eley First is 1350 fps whereas a typical pigeon cartridge such as Hull Special Pigeon 30/32gm 6 is 1390 fps.

This is muzzle velocity and of course the smaller shot will slow down quicker than the larger shot.

There is an argument about denser shot pattern etc but they aren't going to be more "devasting" based on their speed.

HW682

I am not arguing whether they work well for you or not, but just be aware that according to Eley website the Eley First is 1350 fps whereas a typical pigeon cartridge such as Hull Special Pigeon 30/32gm 6 is 1390 fps.

This is muzzle velocity and of course the smaller shot will slow down quicker than the larger shot.

There is an argument about denser shot pattern etc but they aren't going to be more "devasting" based on their speed.

HW682

I'm not one for arguing mate but as i stated i only thought that was the speed, i wasn't certain... What about Eley HB Pigeon cartridges, does anybody use them? :yes:

gamecarts-hbpigeon_05.jpg

Guest topshot_2k
I'm not one for arguing mate but as i stated i only thought that was the speed, i wasn't certain... What about Eley HB Pigeon cartridges, does anybody use them? :sneaky2:

gamecarts-hbpigeon_05.jpg

Yes!, i used to use them, got a batch of them and the realtree pigeon #6.5 shot and they was great. Shot 54 from 3 boxes last outing. Going to buy a 1000 of them now :yes:

Yes!, i used to use them, got a batch of them and the realtree pigeon #6.5 shot and they was great. Shot 54 from 3 boxes last outing. Going to buy a 1000 of them now :yes:

Quality, are the realtree pigeon cartridges as good then? :sneaky2:

Guest topshot_2k
Quality, are the realtree pigeon cartridges as good then? :shifty:

near identical, they only come in 30g #6.5, HB are 32g #6.5

Only trouble is the realtree are dark green cases so a nightmare when using the auto :sneaky2:

Im going in for the heavier HB 32g Fibre as the price difference is minimal and they are bright red so easy to find in the grass/crops :yes:

edit: Also excellent on driven game

Edited by topshot_2k

near identical, they only come in 30g #6.5, HB are 32g #6.5

Only trouble is the realtree are dark green cases so a nightmare when using the auto :sneaky2:

Im going in for the heavier HB 32g Fibre as the price difference is minimal and they are bright red so easy to find in the grass/crops :yes:

edit: Also excellent on driven game

Despite what I've said about not going back to 6's these HB Pigeon cartridges are looking promising! :shifty:

Eley blues 28g 8s I took 100 cartridges all I had in the house and got 38 skemmys 4 crows came back with 43 cartridges

on saturday so not counting the doubles/cartridges with no shot in them etc :sneaky2: not bad odds in my book :yes: just use what your confident with.

Guest topshot_2k
Despite what I've said about not going back to 6's these HB Pigeon cartridges are looking promising! :sneaky2:

give them a go, you get more pellets in the pattern than sixes and they hit with more energy than 7's. I have used 28g 7s on game before and they was ok, just these are a great allrounder. Going to try them on rabbits when the harvest is over :yes:

I've found in the past that no 7 shot works well on pigeon, the problem is the discrepancy between manufactures, below are a few examples, so sometimes EU 7.5 can be English size 7

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

http://www.metal2models.btinternet.co.uk/shotsize.htm

http://www.jonathan-spencer.co.uk/Referenc.../Shotsize1a.htm

Im not going to get involved in an argument over this,,,, But.....

Last week i was asked to clear some Corvids from a game shoot down the road.......well long story short.....

over 220 crows and Jackdaws in 2 days........i used 28 gram 7 1/2 gamebore black gold almost exclusively.......opened a box of 36 gram Rio royal 6s half way through the first day and shot 20 at the Corvids.......well the Kills went down hill and the ones that did drop, there was a significant reduction in clean kills.....

I would stake my life that over the course of a years shooting, i would take out a significantly more birds with the 7 1/2s than my normal 6s....

I am a new convert to these, having used 6s for way more than 25 years......but i strongly believe with modern powders and wads and shot , that the pattern is the killer a long way before the penetration ever fails.....

the old saying of pattern deteriorates before penetration is even more true today with modern cartridges in my opinion....

Incidentally, over 220 birds killed in 2 days with 275 cartridges used....

Cheers...

Nik.. :yes:

I've found in the past that no 7 shot works well on pigeon, the problem is the discrepancy between manufactures, below are a few examples, so sometimes EU 7.5 can be English size 7

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

http://www.metal2models.btinternet.co.uk/shotsize.htm

http://www.jonathan-spencer.co.uk/Referenc.../Shotsize1a.htm

Totally agree we measured some rottweil 6s that were very similar shot as hull 7s

a couple of years ago due to nearly the same discussion as this and express shot in 7.5

measured the same as express 8s so its a funny old subject.