pigeon net poles

hi guys, i have 3 clothes line props which i intend to use to hang net on (£2.99 each) question is does anybody else use these? what are the pros and cons with them? i realise they are not spiked and have no kick plate,but was thinking of carrying a metal spike of some sorts to get them into ground. any other tips are very welcome. or should i splash out on a new set? (remember im a scotsman so wallet is hard to open :rolleyes: )

I use these too. I went to B&Q and bought some angled aluminium spikes from the fence department and bolted these to the pole instead of a spike. I sprayed the ali spike too. I also cut down both the inner and outer pole so that they are more manageable and similar in height to the expensive ones. All in all they cost £5 each to make and appart from not having a kick plate, are just as good as the real thing for less than half the price.

I've been using all sorts of improvised hide poles over the last couple of years, and have easily spent at least the £££s of a decent, purpose made set.

Recently purchased a set of 4 Deben extendable poles and fixed my clearview net to them - Sheer heaven! It's so nice to have hide poles that easily go into hard ground! And so easy to make the hide higher or lower. Compact too.

Like the others I to have used them only for a short time while looking about for a decent set at the right price and like you carried half a pool cue and mallet to drive a hole into the ground ! but the weight differance when the proper hide poles landed was dramatic ! so if you may need to carry a distance on ya back , buy proper ones you wont regret it . :rolleyes:

I made my own after work yesterday. 4 nice bits of hazel spiked at one end and i made a foot press out of metal which attaches to the side of each one. Cost me nowt as i used scrap out of the workshop, used them today and they were great.

I used similar ones once. What I did was to cut 3"x2" timber into wedges (approx 7" long) then drilled holes in them the same size as the poles. I just stamped the wedges into the ground, then fitted the poles into them. Worked everytime. :yes:

did someone trust you with a drill then Steve :yes::hmm::no:

Les :lol:

Guest gloker

2 x adjustable washing line poles from tesco (£2.99 each ) and they come in nato green already. 2 x fishing brolly spike from local angling shop. (£2.50 each.) Matt black and have 3 spikes. put tesco washing line prop in brolly spike. hey presto and bingo bob is your whatsit! hide poles. (I am a tight yorkshireman but they are great and more 'vertical' than my mates expensive hide poles.)

Check these out, once your cheap poles bend just replace the pole I have not tried them but it looks good.

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/F...olly-Spike.html

http://www.pauls-angling-supplies.co.uk/fi...ike-p-1080.html

Just ordered 4 of these looked a bit better got them for 17.50 delivered.

ebay item number 180530549370

Edited by gilo17

Like a lot of others I started off with cheap clothes props - then I bought 5 from shootwarehouse and not looked back since. Not only are they light, they are very strong (but not indestructable) and when pushed into the ground they really hold tight

Edited by big simmo999

I bought 4 of those Wilko type ones but they had sturdy spikes on the bottom. Been using them for about 2 years now and last week finally snapped. Why do I require poles that are 5ft long, extendable to 8? I used a pipe cutter on them, trimmed them by a couple of foot, cut off the black tensioners, reapplied them with araldite and hey presto - lightweight poles that'll fit in the boot of my car for a change.