Cows, dogs and fox.

crosshair

We have all read about the danger of cattle in the countryside, in the last year four walkers were killed by cows, from memory every one killed had a dog with them.

A cow with a young calf at foot can be one of the most dangerous animals in the countryside and should be avoided, if by chance you accidently come too close to one and you have a dog with you then run and leave the dog, no cow is going to catch a dog, a dog chased by a cow will run back to you and usually try and hide behind you, leaving you to try and fend off a very dangerous animal.

A few years back foxes were taking lambs and snares were set, the snares were checked late evening and first thing in the morning, one morning on checking one snare, from a distance it was noticed a large brown area of what looked like freshly dug earth, in the snare was a fox that had been gored, trampled smashed into the ground and was very dead and mangled.

At the other end of the field standing quietly were the cows with their calves, most of them had muddied faces where they had attacked the fox, job done.

Always avoid cows if possible, especially old cows !!.

Of those 4 people, I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that they were all townies.

I've never had the misfortune of getting in a tussle with a fully grown cow/bullock/bull but I do know how strong a 10 week old calf is, picture it dragging 3 large guys around a shed (didn't like getting injections)

A word of warning to the townies out there

You cannot out run cattle, they are faster and stronger than you could possibly imagine

meddle at your own risk :yes:

Of those 4 people, I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that they were all townies.

I've never had the misfortune of getting in a tussle with a fully grown cow/bullock/bull but I do know how strong a 10 week old calf is, picture it dragging 3 large guys around a shed (didn't like getting injections)

A word of warning to the townies out there

You cannot out run cattle, they are faster and stronger than you could possibly imagine

meddle at your own risk :yes:

This is definitely not entirely true about being townies, every year a number of farmers get trampled by cattle, they are dangerous. Let the dog go it will outrun them then keep eye contact and back out slowly. A certain amount of noise and occasionally going forward will help but it does depend a bit whether its cows and calves or bullocks. Cows and calves will be ok once the threat from the dog has gone, bullocks may not be though they will trample ypu while playing.

This is definitely not entirely true about being townies, every year a number of farmers get trampled by cattle, they are dangerous. Let the dog go it will outrun them then keep eye contact and back out slowly. A certain amount of noise and occasionally going forward will help but it does depend a bit whether its cows and calves or bullocks. Cows and calves will be ok once the threat from the dog has gone, bullocks may not be though they will trample ypu while playing.

Don't believe that the cows will be ok once the threat from the dog has gone.

In instances where no dogs are present just a cow and a young calf, and you.

A protective cow has no fear of you and will not stop until you are no longer moving.

Believe me, I have been a cowboy all my life, and had some near misses, even with no

dogs present, one time a cow upended me and the horse I was riding, and still got the

scars to prove it.

The golden rule is, if you can avoid getting too close to any cattle, do so.

I must have been Doctor Doolittle in a previous life because whenever i walk my dog through fields with cows-i end up with the entire herd following me in crocodile fashion.Im always careful to keep my distance when they're got calves and especially so if theres a bullock,but normally they take one look and start following me.

Last week while working in Kettering,i pulled over into a field access to have a pee and all the lambs came trotting over to me. :good:

don't bank on it all the time, I worked for a fair few years on a dairy farm and no issues except from the Bull Beef unit which was lethal, however get on a footpath in the middle of a field with the same cows and a dog and they will occasionally go for the dog, where the problem usually comes is people pick the dog up and try and protect it