rape cut at last!!!

soreshoulder

getting everything sorted, gave the deeks a bit of a touch up paint and the battery a charge. Went to look today while they were still harvesting and there was alot of activity :good:

You lucky man ....one day...........one day :good::good:

I found a couple of hundred acres of rape cut on one of my farms yesterday, I managed 41 in the afternoon despite some desperately poor shooting.

about 2pm the farmer started to cut the next field of rape, and disturbed 5 roe deer which i saw running over the hill about 3/4 of a mile away, about 3pm i went to tidy my pattern up and was stood about 40yds out into the field with the dog running round picking up dead birds when i turned round and about 80yds away stood a roe buck, as the dog brought a bird back i grabbed him and we laid in a tractor wheeling, the buck never saw or winded us and walked to about 15 paces away and stood staring at the strange lump laying in the stubble, as he moved past us he winded us and just stood barking and stamping but didnt run away, superb beast with a fantastic head, probably the best one ive ever seen in this part of the world where good heads are very rare. seeing him that close up more than made up for the poor shooting display.

a bit of advise when shooting rape stubble, Dont wear shorts, its like death by a thousand cuts

mikee

went out on the cut rape today

it was overcast with a slight breeze, absolutely nothing about we didnt get there until 8am and stayed until 12ish fired two carts and got one :good:

looked like someone was there early as found three pigeons in a bush :good:

The majority of rape that I have permission to shoot over has been cut and ploughed in all within 3 days......didn't even get a chance to have look to see if there were any birds feeding on it!! Guess I will now have to wait for the wheat, but am very limited as where I can shoot as the new batch of pheasants have just gone in :good:

im exactly the same, thats why im kidding myself it would be best to let them settle for a few days ! its all lies to myself ! i should be there now ! with a thousand carts and empty sacks to fill with tasty meat ! my mate has even done a cartridge run to top up for me if i run out of homeloads, were even taking spare guns incase of any misfires etc !!! not exctied much honest :good:

just did around 65 and lost 8, been on the same field since it was swathed these are the first lot on stubble

shot nearly 200 in 12 days, never seen so many for a long time, set up at 3pm and they wouldnt come near,

around 4pm they flooded in, got deeks in and put dead birds out they was still coming in at 8pm.

hide set up in the middle of field made of rape farmer combined round it gud lad !!!

regards bob.

The majority of rape that I have permission to shoot over has been cut and ploughed in all within 3 days......didn't even get a chance to have look to see if there were any birds feeding on it!! Guess I will now have to wait for the wheat, but am very limited as where I can shoot as the new batch of pheasants have just gone in :good:

ive had the same with my rape batch, all rotovated in within a day of cutting,cut sunday turned in by tuesday,still i went today on it cos there were alot of woodies on it and i managed to smoke 69,so go and have alook tomorrow they could well be there!!

haha! the rapes getting cut today here , going to leave it for a few days so the birds can enmass on the area then its hot barrels time, they are already gathering in ever increasing numbers ! looks like a red letter day coming up here ...

yeah,turn up tomorrow and find the farmers turned it in!!!

ive had the same with my rape batch, all rotovated in within a day of cutting,cut sunday turned in by tuesday,still i went today on it cos there were alot of woodies on it and i managed to smoke 69,so go and have alook tomorrow they could well be there!!

Yeah I will give it a bash on Saturday afternoon. Will be the first chance in a while to get up there cos of work and not finishing at a reasonable time to get home, get gear and get up there!! But fingers crossed there will still be some pigs around?! :lol:

Our's cut on Tuesday and a few were looking yesterday. The farmer called round last night and asked me to go and have a look today, even gave me a box of cartridges to try. Starlight Victory, mnfg in Cyprus, has anybody heard of or used them?. Will post findings later.

same as last year farmer had turned the rape in i shot 58 one day went back the next day and shot 110;then the birds moved on to fresh stubble.