If you were loking for..........

mayfly36

Either, I used to do a fair bit of off roading and some of the lads in auto's didn't seem to have any bother, you have more control with the manual though, but if it's only for use on your shooting land then either will be fine, unless you shoot on really rough terrain.

To be honest, you should go with what you prefer.

I use both, and my personal preference is for manuals, as I prefer to choose what I'm doing. For town work though autos are quite nice. If I was running a winch challenge truck then i'd have an auto that can lock up in all gears.

I think it depends on the distance you have to travel on the road versus the time you spend off it.

Originally had a manual defender, but for some of the longer distance shoots I had, its became super painful, doing 50miles felt like 150! Once off road though it was spanking

Now got an auto-disco much easier on the road and almost as capable off.

I use a 300TDI Disco Auto.

Road and off road , plus green laning.

Goes anywhere a manual will, I'd like to hear what's meant by "more control".

Economy is a little less than manual, 2/3 mpg doesn't off set the relaxing road driving though :lol:

I would imagine more control is meant by picking a gear and keeping it. For extremely steep decents, auto boxes really aren't as good as a manual which you can get a lot more engine braking from. He may also mean the inability for most autos to have a second gear start for icy conditions to reduce the torque so that you do not just spin the wheels up (saying that our landcruiser has second start which can be extremely useful) Finally the box downshifts when it likes and also upshifts when it likes if allowed. If it decides to do it at the wrong time on ice / slippery surfaces you can just break traction and lose it.

Saying that autos also have advantages off road, they shift a whole lot quicker and don't put nearly as much strain on the drivetrain. As well as slow speed control is pretty good and you can easily use a bit of cadence braking to get traction to non spinning wheels.

It is all down to personal preference

I would imagine more control is meant by picking a gear and keeping it. For extremely steep decents, auto boxes really aren't as good as a manual which you can get a lot more engine braking from. He may also mean the inability for most autos to have a second gear start for icy conditions to reduce the torque so that you do not just spin the wheels up (saying that our landcruiser has second start which can be extremely useful) Finally the box downshifts when it likes and also upshifts when it likes if allowed. If it decides to do it at the wrong time on ice / slippery surfaces you can just break traction and lose it.

Saying that autos also have advantages off road, they shift a whole lot quicker and don't put nearly as much strain on the drivetrain. As well as slow speed control is pretty good and you can easily use a bit of cadence braking to get traction to non spinning wheels.

It is all down to personal preference

So with my autobox selecter having the 1 2 3 D option, I couldn't leave in 1 for a down hill decent and use engine braking like a manual ?

So with my autobox selecter having the 1 2 3 D option, I couldn't leave in 1 for a down hill decent and use engine braking like a manual ?

Yes you can.

It has generally been my experience that the more serious the off roading a machine is expected to do, the more likely it is to be equipped with an auto or semi-auto transmission (think Pinzgauer, Unimog, Hagglund, Dump trucks, tractors, JCB's etc.).

An auto takes the guess work out of which gear to choose for a given situation (descents excepted) and you can stop & start going up inclines you wouldn't have a hope of doing with a manual.

With HDC on newer land rover products you don't even need to be in gear to go down hill under control. With terrain response an auto makes even more sense.

And me, I've got a............

Manual D3!!!! :unsure: :hmm::welcomeani:

For shallow declines, yes you could. For really steep stuff it would just run away. The torque convertor is a fluid coupling between the engine and the wheels, and thus can slip and allow the vehicle to gain speed rapidly (without correcting with some cadence braking of course)

and has been said modern cars have hdc, which takes away any requirement for skill in operation.

Auto lets you drive with one arm on the window ledge holding the rifle in the mirror gap ready for the quick aim and fire that often occurs if your in the right place at the right time. The "ready" position and some of my shots here as the vehicle comes to a halt can be seen in this clip:

• 3 weeks later...