camou or not to camou

deadshot123

Hello all

Right went decoying pigeons the other day with one of my friends.

one thing tho when he turned up he looks like a walking tree.

he has a camou trousers and jacket gloves plus a face veil thing as well and not to forget the gun is also camou.

is this really nesacery or just a new phase what people are doing this day.

after all you are sat in a hide with only your eyes showing over the top at the most

I have a dark brown sherwood jacket and a cap thats about as far as my camou goes and it still does the job.

So just wanted to here other peoples point of view.

cheers deadshot

I think it helps - however i think movement/big white face are the biggest giveaway!. Me and a pal were decoying last summer, got to the field and unpacked - no net!. popped down to the farm to see what they had laying around, used a bright green tarp and still went on to bag 40 pigeons (granted it might have been more with a net!)

Hello all

Right went decoying pigeons the other day with one of my friends.

one thing tho when he turned up he looks like a walking tree.

he has a camou trousers and jacket gloves plus a face veil thing as well and not to forget the gun is also camou.

is this really nesacery or just a new phase what people are doing this day.

after all you are sat in a hide with only your eyes showing over the top at the most

I have a dark brown sherwood jacket and a cap thats about as far as my camou goes and it still does the job.

So just wanted to here other peoples point of view.

cheers deadshot

Archie coates ,check jacket ,flat cap ,no cammy ,shot more than his share of pigeons,..ps camouflaged fishermen ,whats that all about!

I usually use a net and wear green combats, a khaki t-shirt and a brown cap, works for me :shoot:

Sometimes had just as much luck with no netting tucking in close to a tree trunk.

Movement is definately the key to scaring pigeons off in my opinion, even a white face can near enough blend into the background if it doesn't keep bobbing around!!

Have to agree with the movement comments;we don't get camo'd up but neither do we wear bright clothing.

A survey was done some time ago on this very subject(can't remember where I read it now)and surprisingly movement of bare hands came out top for being noticed,followed by big white faces looking up!

We stay still 'til the last moment,and then move.One thing we have noticed(more with pigeons than corvids)is that once the bird has committed to the deeks youy cav step out right in front and it rarely sees you 'til it's too late.Tunnel vision prior to landing?

I don't necessarily wear cammo, but I do wear drab clothing, a hat, face veil and gloves when shooting from a hide.

None of this may be necessary, but it makes me feel more confident and if you have ever seen a big white face looming over a hide from 100 yards away, you would know what I mean.

Keeping still until you are going to take the shot is also important.

i rock dpm or olive drap but i walk i dont hide to much.. one night i was walking down the lane in dpm and there 20ft in front of me a wickle bunny wabbit i rased my gun he still didnt see me i shot the **** and it few in the air legged it one way then came back as it didnt dnow where i was. it was only because i was legging towards it cockin the rifle to finnish it off did it see me an ****** off :yes:

In a hide camo clothing is not required, country colours preferred but not essential, it is movement, THE SLIGHTEST OF MOVEMENT, that the birds see.

Position your hide to give you an advantage over the pigeons, if your decoys are placed right they won't see you when you mount the gun once they are committed to joining them.

I bet cranfield is generally a drab person ? :good: