Flies

tungsten

Went out for a stroll round the shoot last evening. I rubbed Jungle Formula onto my hat to keep away the flies and gnats. While my friend walked around almost totally free of bother from the winged menace I had a cloud of flies following my hat. I even put my hat on the barrells of my gun and held it above my head (empty of course, of cartridges that is) and the flies swarmed aournd it.

Repllent!!! more like attractant any one know of a decent insect repellent??

Personally I find the cheap little bottles of "oil of citronella" from my local chemist as effective as anything:together with Avon "Skin so Soft" if the midges are really fierce. Some of the sprays with "deet" in them are effective but I have a couple of little bottles of Jungle Formula that I'll never use again.

Must admit that I wasn't really paying attention, but either on the TV or in the newspaper at the weekend I'm sure I saw a piece about taller people being more affected than shorter; something to do with the reason why these dashed things fly at a given height.

Cheers

as it happens I am about 6'2" and he is about 5'10"

My neighbour, an avid gardener, uses Anti Mate for cats. As ludicrous as it sounds, he swears it works, well for him anyway, and he recommends the lemon scented version.

So not only will you smell nice, you also wont get Cats trying to mount your leg. I wonder if this includes the Big Cats that are on the loose in the countryside.

Went out for a stroll round the shoot last evening. I rubbed Jungle Formula onto my hat to keep away the flies and gnats. While my friend walked around almost totally free of bother from the winged menace I had a cloud of flies following my hat. I even put my hat on the barrells of my gun and held it above my head (empty of course, of cartridges that is) and the flies swarmed aournd it.

Repllent!!! more like attractant any one know of a decent insect repellent??

I am a great believer and user of Holistic Therapies (I am a Reiki Master/Teacher as well as being fully trained in Indian Head Massage and Aromatherapy, amongst other things) and as such have a colleection of Pure Essential Oils that I use regularly for different purposes. I mix my own "Fly and Insect Repellent" which works quite well and does not smell overpowering like some can! I use a mixture of Oil of Citronella and Lemon Grass mixed with a Walnut Carrier Oil to dilute it! (You could use straight Oil of Citronella but be carefull how much you put on at any one time as it can have a strong and lingering aroma, if you do wish to use it neat try a small "test patch" first to make sure that there is no skin reaction first!)

The only thing that I would say is that you should think about using any of these insect repellents sparingly if you are going out foxing as the smell can carry an awful long way and put Charlie off!

Edited by Frenchieboy