distance from hide to magnet

I set mine maybe 10metres from my hide and to the side. The reason is that once pigeons get close to one they realise it is fake but if it is close to the hide they are still in killing range when they flare off from it.

Not that convinced about pigeon magnets myself though and don't use one that often to be honest.

There isn't an ideal distance. It depends on the circumtances. If you are using it to lure birds in to see your decoys then it doesn't matter how far the magnet is from the hide it is the distance from the hide to your decoys that matter. The magnet can be set to one side or in front of the pattern a distance away from it so it does not interfere with the birds coming to the deeks. The magnet is only there to get their attention and hopefully they then see the deeks.

If you are using a magnet to flight birds in then the position of the magnet relative to the flight line is more important. You need to get birds to pass your hide at a shootable distance. Your magnet could be 50yds away, but if it's pulling birds close enough to your hide then it is doing its job.

I only use a magnet on large open fields where there are flight lines in sight but at a distance. On smaller fields where the flight lines are closer I'll just rely on floaters and angels. If I do use the magnet I put it well away from the deeks and ususlly in a prominant position so it can be seen.

I set mine maybe 10metres from my hide and to the side. The reason is that once pigeons get close to one they realise it is fake but if it is close to the hide they are still in killing range when they flare off from it.

Not that convinced about pigeon magnets myself though and don't use one that often to be honest.

I'm very convinced that magnets work - i've shot several good bags this year with them and would never be without at least one. It's very seldom when i think that a magnet is putting birds off.

I would not have the magnet(s) any further out than about 25 yards, simply because pigeons home in on them a lot of the time and this is an ideal range to shoot them.

I'm doing it different to you guys. I use the magnet to attract attention, but rely on the deeks to bring them into range. I put the rotary well away from the pattern in a prominant position where it can best be seen and rarely have pigeons land near to it. They usually flare off and come into the deeks.