"Chopped" CZ 452

Frenchieboy

I have just had my CZ 452 Varmint (Heavy Barrelled 17HMR) shortened in an attempt to cut down on the weight. The work was done by David Mercer of Bolton (RFD 249 GMP) who makes the DM80 Moderators. I have to say right from the start that David is one of the most helpful and polite RFDs that I have ever come across. He charged £35.00 for Shortening the barrel from 20 inches down to 16 inches and for the re-crowning and re-threading of the barrel - The standard of his work can only be described as excellent and he had the work done in no time at all, in fact the rifle was ready for my collection earlier than had been agreed!

I am so pleased with the price and the quality of work that I am now going to have him do exactly the same to my Bruno Fox .222 (Taking the barrel from 23.5 inches down to 19 inches, Re-Crowning and Threading the barrel) and to design a bespoke (Over The Barrel) moderator for it as soon as I have the pennies available for the work for which a very reasonable price has already been agreed.

OK, now for how the rifle feels and handles with the shortened barrel:

Even though the weight difference is only around 7 ounces the most noticable thing is the balance of the rifle, it feels so much better and lighter to hold and move around. The shortening of the barrel has (I suspect) caused a loss of velocity but this is so minimal that I honestly do not think it is worth even trying to calculate. The main thing that I have noticed after firing the rifle (With the SAK moderator fitted) is that it seems to have a slightly improved accuracy (Which was extremely good anyway). Because of the weather we have had all week I haven't had enough time to get fully conclusive results but from zeroing the rifle back up when I got it back I do believe that after firing about 25 shots through it that it is "slightly" more accurate than before, so much so that I managed to shoot my first ever sub quarter of an inch group - admittedly this was only from about 75 yards but this is an improvement on what I have ever managed before. I will be going out for a "Plinking and Target Shooting Session" as soon as I get a bit of descent weather when I can lie out in the "Prone Position" with the rifle on the bipod without getting soaked and ending up whit pheumonia (Sp).

Right, now that is all said and done here are the "Before" (First) and "After" (Second) photos of the rifle with the SAK moderator fitted:

post-17172-1281782465.jpg

post-17172-1281782490.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

DM does have a reputation...I'm pleased it's worked out.

I am very fortunate that I am very close to Neil Mckillop, he is excellent and does all my work now, only problem is he insists on proof as well, nothing to do with the law, it's all down to his insurers!

Uk Custom Shop, Andrew B, chopped my CZ WMR, I had to take it into Neil to sort out the thread and put a decent crown on it!

Such is life.

ATB!! :blush:

Doesn't it look better now? Not all lanky like the original but short and compact and just as deadly as it ever was. Loss of velocity? So minor as to make no odds, don't even think about it.

You are quite right Mick! It looks so much better now. You could even describe it as looking more "Butch" - then again maybe not, that makes it sound rather camp, doesn't it! It also feels much better to handle and it shoots even better than it did before. :lol::lol::lol:

I have been out a few times with it now and not had a single rabbit, crow or magpie complain about the very minimal loss of velocity! :good::lol::good:

It looks very good at that length,my Ruger 77/22 has a 14" barrel, great for shooting out of the Shogun, with no loss of accuracy. Talking to Chris Orasinski the other day,and he said that for every inch cut off a barrel you lose 30fps,not sure if that applies to both r/f and c/f. :good:

Alan :good:

Damn, I've been quoted upto £120 for shortening screw cutting! Although I have found somewhere more reasonable now.

Heck mate, that's a bit over the top! For just £160 I am getting my Bruno Fox .222 shortened, Re-Crowned, Threaded and a bespoke Moderator made!

nice when you got a good smith close by. i use richard pope. top guy, good prices and does it well you wait.

i have friends who have rifles built by dasherman deker and his work is superb. i would use him to if he was closer.

he willl defo get some rebarrel work in the future. as his prices are soem of the best