Subsonic 22 Hornet

Would there be any point to reloading the 22 hornet so that it was subsonic?

If loaded with a 40 grain bullet would there be any advantage over the subsonic 22LR? would the trajectory be the same as that of a regukar 22lr, would you need to use a 45 or 50 grain bullet to see any difference.

I just wondered if you had both subsonic and regular loads (about 2600fps) for the same rifle you could adjust so that you didnt need to re zero when switching between rounds.

Jon

Would there be any point to reloading the 22 hornet so that it was subsonic?

If loaded with a 40 grain bullet would there be any advantage over the subsonic 22LR? would the trajectory be the same as that of a regukar 22lr, would you need to use a 45 or 50 grain bullet to see any difference.

I just wondered if you had both subsonic and regular loads (about 2600fps) for the same rifle you could adjust so that you didnt need to re zero when switching between rounds.

Jon

A sub sonic 40g Hornet would perform in a similar fashion to a sub sonic 40g .22lr.

A 45 or 50g sub sonic Hornet would have an arc like a rainbow.

I don't reload...can this even be done, no doubt someone will enlighten me.

For low pressure problems have a google for 'Secondary Explosion Effect'.

Several theories: a few myths and various articles.

Norma and Dupont have done a fair bit of research on it. Seems to link to wrong powder / airspace case volume etc

I think (but don't quote me on this) that the low charge problem comes from the left over space in the case. With a properly loaded round the powder doesn't have much free space to move, so when it burns the flame has to work its way through the mass of powder. That to me means it can't all be burning at once, rather from one end of the case to the other (kind of like a candle). When you have a lot of free space in the case though the charge from the primer can blow the powder granules around inside the case meaning that they can all catch at the same time. When the whole charge detonates you get a very high pressure spike rather than a more consistant push. That's what can make the gun burst.

If you look in the Lee reloading book there is actually a 45 grain load with a near full charge of powder that still gives sub 1100fps velocity. I think it may even be a compressed load. If you do decide to try it I suggest you follow this route as it will be much safer than a small charge of pistol powder.

There are always reasons to make these things. Say you have some ground where you go lamping Foxes and on that ground you have a couple of cage traps out right next to the chicken run back at the farm. You can't really take two guns, a .22lr doesn't have the poke for general Fox use with a lamp but if you happen to have caught a Fox in your trap next to the farmhouse when you pass it at 1am the farmer may not be too impressed with you dispatching it with a HV round. Accuracy isn't an issue at ranges that may not even be a yard.

Unusual maybe, but a good reason to carry a couple of subs. They can be made up in different cases or with the bases of the rounds coloured in with a marker pen so you know what they are and don't get them mixed up with your regular ammo. :cry1:

There are always reasons to make these things. Say you have some ground where you go lamping Foxes and on that ground you have a couple of cage traps out right next to the chicken run back at the farm. You can't really take two guns, a .22lr doesn't have the poke for general Fox use with a lamp but if you happen to have caught a Fox in your trap next to the farmhouse when you pass it at 1am the farmer may not be too impressed with you dispatching it with a HV round. Accuracy isn't an issue at ranges that may not even be a yard.

Unusual maybe, but a good reason to carry a couple of subs. They can be made up in different cases or with the bases of the rounds coloured in with a marker pen so you know what they are and don't get them mixed up with your regular ammo. :lol:

And neither would a subsonic .22 Hornet round. In fact it would be worse than a .22HV rimfire

And as for shooting at 1.00am near the farmers house………………

That’s why they invented those longy, roundy thingy’s called ………………

MODERATORS. :cry1::/:lol:

G.M.