Where can I learn how to clean a shotgun?

RobbieJam

Hi everyone, just applied for my SGC so until it comes through I wanna read up on basic gun care & maintenance inc cleaning. Had a look around the net but can't seem to find any step by step instructions. Found a video of somebody cleaning the barrels but they were already off the gun, I need one that goes through the whole process from complete gun to stripping down then rebuilding. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Robbie , cleaning your shot gun is the very basics of gun ownerership .I am surprised that you havent seen it done by another gunowner . If you know that little about gun ownership then you are going to have a terrible time when it comes to choosing one . Before you even think about buying a gun please take advice from somebody who knows what they are talking about .

Cleaning your gun is very simple . You need a cleaning rod with a bronze brush for scrubbing the barrels out BRONZE JAG for pushing clean rag or tissue paper through the barrels to clean up after you have scrubbed them out . A good powder and lead solvent cleaner to aid the removal of the crud . Squirt the cleaner down the barrels and scrub out with the bronze brush . Then push clean tissue paper os rag through the barrels to remove all the cleaner and the crud . Wipe the outside of the barrels over with a lightly oiled rag to stop any corrosion forming whilst in storage . Ithink that is as far as you need to go at the moment . A complete strip down and clean is a little more complex than what I have described and you may well whant an experianced shooter to run you through this .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Or just get a bore snake and some spray gun oil....................loads of videos on youtube etc

or
or
Unless you buy a semi (probably not the best first gun) you really need to know little else, cleaning wise at least. While waiting for application to be priocessed I would get as many lessons/ time at a clay ground as possible I am sure they will let you clean the gun afterwards as well! Edited by HDAV

I think if you asked 100 shotgun owners how they cleaned their gun they would all have different methods and favourite products.

My advice would be to buy a kit, I had the Bisley one with the oil and solvent and the see through lid

43978518-item-main-g105bisley-gun-cleaning-kit.jpg

As times goes on you will add to it and try different products but it will do all you need.

I have a boresnake and they are OK for a quick clean, but you need a thorough scrub from time to time. I often use the boresnake to give a quick clean if I will need the gun the next day or even as the first step before a thorough clean to remove any loose fowling in the barrel.

I know it can be daunting when you spend all that money and you don't want to damage anything when you buy your new gun I'm sure the shop will take you through the basics then you can dersify if you are really worried I am just over the hill from you I will gladly pop over or if you can get to me you can come on my permission pm me

You are doing the right thing by asking advice,and keep doing it,at your gun club if you clay shoot they have to clean there guns after use if they do lessons ask them to show you how,ask at the gun shop they will sell you the products,there are many products ,when I was first started I had to much tetra gun grease in areas I did not need it and I was told why not to do it and where to put it and how much,a good gun smith will show you exactly what to do and what to buy,and you will learn more as you go along,ie I use different products on a semi than my ou,it is easier for some one to show you the right way ,gloustershire gun club used to have some good videos to watch have a look

Good luck keep asking

Regards

B

I know it can be daunting when you spend all that money and you don't want to damage anything when you buy your new gun I'm sure the shop will take you through the basics then you can dersify if you are really worried I am just over the hill from you I will gladly pop over or if you can get to me you can come on my permission pm me

Thats a nice offer :good:

Hi Mate,

I would recommed the BASC Handbook of the sporting shotgun, as well as learning how to clean you also need to know how to safely handle a shotgun and the fundamentals of them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BASC-Handbook-Shoo...n/dp/1904057209

As for cleaning most people have their own way of doing it but it's not as daunting as you first think, it was certainly one of the areas i worred about when i started out last year.

If you were closer i would happily show you, you have a kind offer form antuk99.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jon.

Get a proper kit. A bore snake is good if you get something in the barrels when out in the field or for a quick clean but it only cleans the barrels and you would risk getting a pitted action.

What i do is first of all phosphor bronze brush down the barrels to remove the crud. Then put the oiled jag on with a patch and some oil to remove finer stuff and oil the bore. The spray a small amount of oil on to the action (the breech around firing pins not the out side) and scrub with a tooth brush to remove the residue (i then wipe dry to prevent oil running in to the action). Then a small spray around the ejectors and scrub with the tooth brush. Some oil on to a cloth and rub on to the out side of the barrels and then every now and then a small amount of linseed oil on to the hands and rubbed in to the stock and fore end.

G

then just give it a good scrub every mow and again.

:good:

While cleaning is a religious experience for some it's not necessary with most modern guns, great people to buy a gun from tho, look at clay ground guns 1000's of rounds a week! and only every a quick clean. basic O/U are a very simple device. Modern ones with chrome barrels and new blacking don't need much maintenance, moisture is the main danger so as long as you don't take it swimming a wipe with some oil is all thats required, a bit of grease on the hinge pins and ejectors from time to time and don't over oil, more important to enjoy using it than cleaning it.....

reminds me i must clean mine at some point.... I honestly wouldn't go nuts buying lots of cleaning products

Edited by HDAV