4x4 and insurance help needed

derek.snr

as my boy is off to uni ,locally and still living at home ,he needs a runabout that could double as a shooting truck .with a budget of 1750.we are considering the following land rover 90 ,fourtrack ,terios ,jimney .purchase cost is not the big problem its insurance anybody got any tips for cheaper insurance ,he has had a licence for 12 months .as you know liverpool /merseyside is a deemed high risk.deredk

try a broker much better deals than price compare site. I am 17 and am insured on my dad suzuki vitara as a frequent user. Going through the brokers was half the price of the price comparsons sites. Stuart and co in cambridgeshire gave us a very good deal.

Edited by zipdog

Ashamed to say it but my old man helps me with my insurance.

Land Rover Defender with CIS, I get to build up no claims at the same time as the old boy. 3 yrs ncb on the policy and it's about 800 a year.

Oh and I'd literally just passed my test, so I was a big liabillity!

Edited by Billy.

TBH I dont think a 4X4 of any sorts be it landy or jap is going to be less that £1700 for such a driver with only having his/her licence for only 12 months .

My stepson who is 29 and just passed his test could not get insurance on a trooper for less than £1700 .

Get a cheap run around get a years NCB and that will make all the diffrents.

Regards OTH

I got a cheap deal on confused.com when I renewed my insurance or so I thought!

Avoid YES insurance, the hastle I have had with them was not worth the saving I made switching to them especially when they kept saying they had not had my no claims proof and tripled the policy to £1500!

Seb

As previously said for 1750 forget any defender, unless you want a large ongoing project. the Jimny / sj410 route would probably be the best route to take.

with regards to insurance, you must be extremely careful. If he is going to be the main driver the policy must be in his own name. limiting the milage can help if he won't be doing long runs. I'd also be aware that these policies that give named drivers ncb, usually are only recognised by the issuing insurer.

I was always under the impression that the liverpool area was pretty bad for car thefts but the insurance companies will have a detailed database, if you can make sure the vehicle is garaged then that will often help.

vitara is best for that sort of price if you want to drive predominantly on road, you might get a cheap jimny but older will be better for insurance. Don't make the poor little sod drive an SJ if he's not using it off road, if he is then definitely get an SJ413/Samurai, SJ410 is underpowered and if he wants to modify it later for off roading 413 engined version is far superior.

Try Andrew Pickles insurance. I run 4 off roaders and they were the cheaspest this year even for my boys heavily modified Jimny off roader.

vitara is best for that sort of price if you want to drive predominantly on road, you might get a cheap jimny but older will be better for insurance. Don't make the poor little sod drive an SJ if he's not using it off road, if he is then definitely get an SJ413/Samurai, SJ410 is underpowered and if he wants to modify it later for off roading 413 engined version is far superior.

Try Andrew Pickles insurance. I run 4 off roaders and they were the cheaspest this year even for my boys heavily modified Jimny off roader.

I am in the same position, and jimny's are insurance group 7 and vitaras insurance group 8 but would what they are, slow 4x4's nake them cheaper to insure or are the insurance groups set in stone ???