Luigi Franchi 3 shot semi auto any good?

welsh warrior

Sorry mate, I bought it! :D

Nice gun, took it out today. One question though - is it possible to adjust the recoil weight for different cartridges? I used it on clays with 28g loads, and occasionally it wouldn't load the 3rd shell, the slide locked back as though the gun was empty with the 3rd shell still sitting on the lifter. I wondered if I could ajust this by loosening or tightening the screw cup on the end of the mag tube, that holds the compression spring...?

Cheers for any info.

Sorry mate, I bought it! :rolleyes:

Nice gun, took it out today. One question though - is it possible to adjust the recoil weight for different cartridges? I used it on clays with 28g loads, and occasionally it wouldn't load the 3rd shell, the slide locked back as though the gun was empty with the 3rd shell still sitting on the lifter. I wondered if I could ajust this by loosening or tightening the screw cup on the end of the mag tube, that holds the compression spring...?

Cheers for any info.

The cap on the end of the mag tube is just that. it is a cap, not an adjuster. If you're having trouble kicking out the third cartridge, first give the gun a good clean and make sure the friction ring is in the correct setting. Look at the A5 thread above as both the A5 and Al48 use the same long recoil design. The 48 is an aluminum frame, so even more important to have it properly adjusted. Contrary to the manual, if the mag tube and friction ring are perfectly clean and dry you might have problems with cycling. I prefer to put a couple drops of light oil on my mag tube. It will cycle any cartridge I put through it and recoil is as it should be.

If after cleaning and a light lube the third isn't coming up, then an internal clean of the action and bolt is necessary. Pull the buttstock off, take off the barrel, and soak the action in ethanol or IPA for a night. Sometimes the firing pin spring will gum up (if the gun has sat a long while) and restrict the travel of the bolt/barrel. A soaking in alcohol followed by a good wipe out will normally fix that too.

If after all of that it still won't do the third shell (and only the third) then it could be a weak spring in the mag tube. Pull it out and replace it (cheap).

Rick

Lol Edd - I just replied to your other topic too!

Rick - many thanks for that. I gave the gun a good clean after shooting yesterday, and I did indeed oil the mag tube and spring. (Not that it was dry, but hey). The stock was a bit loose by the end of my shooting session, so that probably didn't help - I've now tightened that too. Then again, by the end of the session, the gun was firing all three pretty reliably. I did start the session with Eley Firsts and Eley VIPs and finished up with Rio Target Loads (all 28g) - not a single jam with the Rios, so perhaps the gun had been sitting for a while and needed a few shots to loosen up. (I thought at the time that the gun just preferred Rios, but perhaps that's not the case).

I don't have and can't find a manual for the gun online, but I think I now have an idea where the fricttion ring is and what it should do. I'll go and fish the gun out and see what I actually have in the way of a friction ring - I thought I only had one single ring under the end cap, but maybe it was two stuck together. If you could tell me how the friction ring should be set for light loads and how it should be set for heavy loads, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Giles

OK, think I've sorted it. I ended up putting the bevelled steel washer against the receiver, flat side to the "back" of the recoil spring. This means that the "forward" end of the spring pushes over the bevel on the copper friction piece, but it seems to be looser than with the bevelled steel washer there too. I also read that I should put the flat side of the steel washer against the copper friction piece for lighter loads, but that would mean that the bevelled side of the steel washer would be against the spring, which is apparently not right. Well, I'll try it again and see how it goes. Cheers Rick.

Actually, one more thing I'm not quite sure of - should the bronze / copper friction ring be bevelled / tapered on both sides? Mine is, but I think it should only be bevelled on one side, so the flat side can go against the front of the recoil spring. I suspect that a friction ring bevelled on both sides might be the extra friction ring for the magnum version of the gun...

Does anyone know where in the UK I can get a normal friction ring, if I'm right and it should only be bevelled on one side? Cheers.

(Sorry to hijack your thread, WW!)

Edited by sandspider

Thank you Dave, that's perfect! It doesn't say or show if the friction ring should be bevelled on both sides, but it doesn't say that the friction ring should be put on a certain way, so I will assume it should be bevelled on both sides.

The manual recommends putting the bevelled steel ring on the "front" end of the recoil spring for both light loads and heavy loads - which seems a bit odd, as there's extra metal sliding up and down the magazine tube for no real reason, and as the bevelled side of the ring will then rest against the spring, which I thought was a no-no. Oh well, I suppose it's better to trust the manual.

Hi Dave

Yes, that's right. I wasn't sure if my gun had the right friction ring - I thought it might have the extra magnum friction ring rather than the standard friction ring (my gun's not a magnum), but now I don't think it does! The manual also answered my question about whether the steel ring should be placed against the receiver or against the friction ring for lighter loads. (Various sites on the net say each, but I think I'll go with the manual).

Cheers,

Giles

OK, think I've sorted it. I ended up putting the bevelled steel washer against the receiver, flat side to the "back" of the recoil spring. This means that the "forward" end of the spring pushes over the bevel on the copper friction piece, but it seems to be looser than with the bevelled steel washer there too. I also read that I should put the flat side of the steel washer against the copper friction piece for lighter loads, but that would mean that the bevelled side of the steel washer would be against the spring, which is apparently not right. Well, I'll try it again and see how it goes. Cheers Rick.

You change the ring depending on loads used.