Chipping a TD5

Mungler

I fancy getting the TD5 chipped but have no idea where the best place to start / look is.

I have had a look on the bay and there is a place in Colchester (RST Landrovers) - has anyone had any dealing with them and what are they like?

The chips seem to range from £50 through to £550.

I don't fancy doing anything DIY in case I break it and cause damage which goes beyond the chip, which in all probability I would.

Also, if I get it chipped is there anything else I need to do or watch out for? My Disco is an "02 plate manual TD5 which I bought off Harnser's mate Dave and which now has about 150k on the clock.

Strangely it is the car that I have had the longest, has the most miles and it is also the slowest. I don't quite know why I am so attached to it - I suspect that it's because I am sick of spending out on cars and this is the one I have had to spend the least money on. I must be getting old.

I fancy getting the TD5 chipped but have no idea where the best place to start / look is.

I have had a look on the bay and there is a place in Colchester (RST Landrovers) - has anyone had any dealing with them and what are they like?

The chips seem to range from £50 through to £550.

I don't fancy doing anything DIY in case I break it and cause damage which goes beyond the chip, which in all probability I would.

Also, if I get it chipped is there anything else I need to do or watch out for? My Disco is an "02 plate manual TD5 which I bought off Harnser's mate Dave and which now has about 150k on the clock.

Strangely it is the car that I have had the longest, has the most miles and it is also the slowest. I don't quite know why I am so attached to it - I suspect that it's because I am sick of spending out on cars and this is the one I have had to spend the least money on. I must be getting old.

The best guys I know to advise on this are Fortune 4x4 in Laindon (near Basildon). Speak to Tim - he understands all about the various chipping options and their pros/cons. See http://fortune4x4.com/

RST have a good name too - I think they're on Mersea Island actually?

Steve

I'm in the same boat as you Mung.

TD5 alive, Bellautoservices and Twistedperformace are supposed to be the ones to go for. 400 quid should be about right.

Oh and don't forget to ask for a guarantee which allows them to reinstall the remapped ECU for free, should your ECU decide to crash.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=126838

Have a read of this too. I'm in Essex and Jon Norman of Brunel Engineering in Tollesbury is also worth talking to.

With 150k on your clock I would be a little wary of cranking the performance up too much.

try amd tuning had mine done about 9 months ago cost£420 and was done on a rolling road before and after increase in torqe is fantastic your more than welcome to have a go if you like but it will show any weakness in your clutch if it is a manual regards forgot to say amd are in lakeside next to ikea pete

Edited by sticko

I went to the Land Rover Show at Stoneleigh last weekend and there were good deals to be had. Twisted were doing the ECU remap for £295 instead of the usual £400. Budget £40 for a decent air filter too.

Not sure if there are any more shows coming up but thats the best way to play them off against each other and get it done on the day.

Andy,

I live literally round the corner from RST, my Disco goes there whenever it needs servicing. They are a decent bunch of guys in a family run business that has been there for donkeys years.

They are very reasonably priced on their labour and parts. And customer service is good as well.

Had mine done around 3 years ago by JE Engineering in Coventry. Had my ECU and injectors done plus they polished the ports as well. It improved my fuel consumption and acceleration quite a bit on standard but the Disco is still a slow old beast.

A long stroke diesel, trying to push two tons of metal from a standing start is not going to match any normal car, but when it gets up to speed the torque is going to shove the thing up a vertical cliff face.

Just one thing I would check before you spend lots of money, the waste gate on the turbo seizes up regularly, you wouldn't normally notice too much, but have a look because that will shave some time off your acceleration.

Whatever you do make sure you go for a good reputable one, td5 alive, etc. The cheap ones are little more than just a resistor that ups the fuel across the board and neither increases economy nor is good for the engine.

If you are keeping the car for a long time and it is out of warrenty I think a chip is a reasonably sensible option for a diesel. you usually improve economy a bit (depending how you drive)

I went to RST once. The next time I trailered my Landy back to Wickford to Fred - say no more.

MC is probably used to their Mersea ways but prepare yourself for a proper talking down to and some very dry humour / sarcasm at best - think

but in a Mersea accent.