Beaters/Pickers Up Required

Elby

For my pheasant shoot near Leighton Buzzard.

It's a great place with some fantastic scenery and some stonking birds.

Unfortunately I can't afford to pay people but the guns pay for a very nice evening meal in the pub afterwards.

Also I put on as good a beaters day as poss at the end of the season.

Well behaved dogs are welcome.

The awkward thing is that we shoot once a fortnight on a Tues starting 12th Oct.

If interested please pm me and I'll supply a phone no.

Les

Most places, even small shoots, pay beaters and lay on an end of season day or two, plus pigeon shooting in February. I think you had better tap up your guns to pay the beaters, even a tenner to cover petrol would go someway. I do not know of any proper driven shoots that do not pay beaters.

Most places, even small shoots, pay beaters and lay on an end of season day or two, plus pigeon shooting in February. I think you had better tap up your guns to pay the beaters, even a tenner to cover petrol would go someway. I do not know of any proper driven shoots that do not pay beaters.

Mine can't be a proper shoot then.

At the end of every shoot the guns put their hands in their pockets and pay for the meal.

This shoot is £250 a day per gun to shoot.

its pretty much unknown to offer an evening meal though as that includes the beaters with the syndicate guns and makes it a more social / enjoyable day out. I get paid on one shoot and not on another and would still do it without payment simply because of the shooting it brings with it, one estate we get numerous pigeon and vermin days and a 300 bird beaters day along with a decent crack on the day. Your only issue is shooting midweek and trying to get beaters who aren't retired and able to walk well

Edited by al4x

Your only issue is shooting midweek and trying to get beaters who aren't retired and able to walk well

Hence the post on here, it's a hilly shoot so a level of fitness is needed, only so many can go on stop.

Very laid back though, no segregation between guns and beaters, if theguns get a good bird the beaters clap and if they miss one they expect the p**s taken.

No forelock touching on my shoot

This shoot is £250 a day per gun to shoot.

In that case they can afford to pay the beaters something then, I bet the beaters don't eat £30 worth of food on an evening. Like I said a tenner for fuel and the meal is a fair deal.

Have you thought of charging the pickers up for the pleasure of retrieving your pheasants, I've heard they do that down south aswell? Privilage to work yer dogs etc etc :good:

Edited by scolopax

In that case they can afford to pay the beaters something then, I bet the beaters don't they don't eat £30 worth of food on an evening.

Have you thought of charging the pickers up, I've heard they do that down south aswell? Privilage to work yer dogs etc etc

I really appreciate all your advice.

They can afford nice new Range rovers too, should they buy you one?

Take it you won't be coming then

Edited by Elby

I've been beating for four years without being paid. You get a good day out, the chance to work the dogs, see the countryside and have a good laugh. And at the end of the season you get a beaters day or two with all your mates. Couldn't ask for more. For anyone in the area this is a top opurtunity. An evening meal too is brilliant!

you'll get far more shooting and gain contacts to more by beating and its a good day out. I get as much pleasure from beating as shooting, ok us down south must be less tight than our northern comrades that we'll do it for free, but lets face it getting a beaters day and meal after each shoot has a value to it and usually it works out pretty ok. If its a commercial money making shoot then you expect to be paid and i could get £50 a day on a local shoot but I go to the one I'm not paid for simply because the crack is better and I'm not really into 800 plus days.

For my pheasant shoot near Leighton Buzzard.

It's a great place with some fantastic scenery and some stonking birds.

Unfortunately I can't afford to pay people but the guns pay for a very nice evening meal in the pub afterwards.

Also I put on as good a beaters day as poss at the end of the season.

Well behaved dogs are welcome.

The awkward thing is that we shoot once a fortnight on a Tues starting 12th Oct.

If interested please pm me and I'll supply a phone no.

Les

And you were bragging about your bank balance :good:

Still, for people who dont have any shooting, beating is a good way to get to know people who do :lol:

Down here, allot of the regular/reliable beaters get the pigeon shooting as payment :yes:

And you were bragging about your bank balance :good:

Still, for people who dont have any shooting, beating is a good way to get to know people who do :lol:

Down here, allot of the regular/reliable beaters get the pigeon shooting as payment :yes:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I should subsidise the shoot then?

Be a regular reliable beater and you'll get some shooting.

Actually don't bother

Hang on. Why is this lad getting a hard time for asking for beaters. A lot of shoots don't pay beaters and they get shooting in return. You aren't being forced into it so why the hassle. If you don't like it don't go. If this chap doesn't get any beaters he'll have to try something else but maybe give it a chance.

Elby - I would love to help put but I live just a bit far away.

Hang on. Why is this lad getting a hard time for asking for beaters. A lot of shoots don't pay beaters and they get shooting in return. You aren't being forced into it so why the hassle. If you don't like it don't go. If this chap doesn't get any beaters he'll have to try something else but maybe give it a chance.

Elby - I would love to help put but I live just a bit far away.

Only an hour from reading ;-)

As much as people would like to think I'm sat here with steam coming out my ears I actually really enjoy the banter :good:

good job too with the response so far on the SD and on here. Hell half the year people are looking for beating and when an opportunity which offers a feed and a days game shooting comes up everyone and their dog seems to want to be paid for it. If it wasn't a week day I'd do some though think I'm beating pretty much every weekend I'm not shooting but people need to work out this is what gets you shooting as well as gets you out to see bits of the countryside you wouldn't see otherwise. Good regular beaters round us get pretty well looked after shooting wise and the beaters usualy have access to an awful lot of vermin control as most I know shoot

Well I'm glad I live in the grim north, next thing you will be telling me is that you have to pay for pigeon shooting darn sarf !

Seriously I would, go beating for nowt, a: because I enjoy it, and b: because i can afford to,

just TBH not even a token tenner to cover fuel is a bit tight IMO.

Good luck to those of you who take up the offer, beating is a fantastic day out and a great way to network.