Beaters/Pickers Up Required

Elby

Well I'm glad I live in the grim north, next thing you will be telling me is that you have to pay for pigeon shooting darn sarf !

Seriously I would, go beating for nowt, a: because I enjoy it, and b: because i can afford to,

just TBH not even a token tenner to cover fuel is a bit tight IMO.

Good luck to those of you who take up the offer, beating is a fantastic day out and a great way to network.

Ok I'll explain, at the end of every shoot the guns pay £20, that's a tenner for their meal and a tenner for the beaters meal.

It costs more than that so I already subsidise it a bit.

The only way I could give people a tenner is if they don't go for the meal, we like everybody at the meal though, it's a social thing and a chance to take the **** out the guns.

Anyway being from the grim north don't you have trouble beating in ya clogs?

:good:

• 2 weeks later...

well first of all what an offer . second they guy was offering an opportunity for anybody close by or anybody interested to go beating he wasn't asking for peoples advice or input sorry to sound grumpy but if your expecting money for beating and its not on offer then ask for the details on pm .i know that elby said he's enjoying the banter but not so many on here would be so calm . however as everyone else has suggested things i'm gunna contradict everything i just put and say elby you could offer pheasants to beaters if they aren't interested in money or the meal. anyway sorry about the rant but sometimes i just get the urge ;-) regards jimmy

well first of all what an offer . second they guy was offering an opportunity for anybody close by or anybody interested to go beating he wasn't asking for peoples advice or input sorry to sound grumpy but if your expecting money for beating and its not on offer then ask for the details on pm .i know that elby said he's enjoying the banter but not so many on here would be so calm . however as everyone else has suggested things i'm gunna contradict everything i just put and say elby you could offer pheasants to beaters if they aren't interested in money or the meal. anyway sorry about the rant but sometimes i just get the urge ;-) regards jimmy

I should have put that they can take as many birds as they like.

I'd rather give them away than sell them to the game dealer at 50p a brace

I know shoots that don't pay and it's almost impossible to get into the beating line, it's all down to the enjoyment of the day and the end of season perks. I equally know shoots that pay handsomely but struggle to find beaters due to the lack of bodies vs the number of large shoots in the locality.

the issue you have is there are shoots pay £50 a day in my area, I avoid like the plague as they are very commercial and treat the beaters like they are scum, ok occasionally you have to throw a few F's into beaters but it spoils the fun of the day if it is too regimented. Small syndicates are fun to beat on you see the sport and you get a day at the end where if you had to pay every bird you shoot would cost you £20-25 and it opens the way to meet loads of shooting people and opens doors on plenty of shooting so hard to put a value on it.

For my pheasant shoot near Leighton Buzzard.

It's a great place with some fantastic scenery and some stonking birds.

Unfortunately I can't afford to pay people but the guns pay for a very nice evening meal in the pub afterwards.

Also I put on as good a beaters day as poss at the end of the season.

Well behaved dogs are welcome.

The awkward thing is that we shoot once a fortnight on a Tues starting 12th Oct.

If interested please pm me and I'll supply a phone no.

Les

Elby, how come you always get so much stick when you put good things on pigeon watch :hmm: ?

You must have upset someone really badly sometime, but I like your style and love your replies ;) .

If you are ever short of beaters give me a call :) , I will send over by PM my contact details, I am retired but I am fit, safe and sensible :yes: .

I live in Stevenage and can be with you in an hour or so.

Cheers

Terry "bakerboy"

Elby, how come you always get so much stick when you put good things on pigeon watch :hmm: ?

You must have upset someone really badly sometime, but I like your style and love your replies ;) .

If you are ever short of beaters give me a call :) , I will send over by PM my contact details, I am retired but I am fit, safe and sensible :yes: .

I live in Stevenage and can be with you in an hour or so.

Cheers

Terry "bakerboy"

All part of the fun Terry

Be great if you want to come along, got your details, will give you a call.

Les