young levert

cocker3

first time on in a while (holidays and a litter of cocker pups and time flys by )any way it was out lamping on saturday night for rabbits and hares useing a red filter .i saw a hare about 50 yards away and shot it (clean kill to the head )when it went to get it i found a tiny 8 week old levert at it side (sitting behind it when i shot the mother )to say it was gutted is an understatment at having to dispatch this young levert as i dont think it would have survived.in all my years i have never seen so small a levert at this time of year has any one else seen them this small before . just to add as i know some smat**** will say it if i had of seen it first i would not have shot her but with the red filter and the way it was sitting i could not see it

they cause little or no damage to crops-

all depends how many you have, the estate I go on the odd hare day on suffers a lot of damage. We shot 800 over two days this year and looking round now you wouldn't know it. The nice thing in a way is we will probably shoot the same number next year as well as it seems a roughly sustainable number.

With the leveret odd things do happen its a shame but pest control is exactly that

Under the Hares Act 1848, and Hares (Scotland) Act 1848 it is an offence for 'anyone to use any firearm or gun of any description at night for the purpose of killing game'. This is an additional offence to night poaching where game is being shot during the night which begins one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. The Ground Game Act (as amended) and The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948, appear to override the prohibition on night shooting of hares by occupiers or persons authorised under the Acts.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is now illegal to shoot Mountain Hares (Lepus timidus) at night with the aid of a lamp or image intensifier, or at any time using any semi-automatic weapon with a magazine capable of holding two or more rounds of ammunition. However, licences can be granted to allow night shooting under certain circumstances.

Under the Hares Act 1848, and Hares (Scotland) Act 1848 it is an offence for 'anyone to use any firearm or gun of any description at night for the purpose of killing game'. This is an additional offence to night poaching where game is being shot during the night which begins one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. The Ground Game Act (as amended) and The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948, appear to override the prohibition on night shooting of hares by occupiers or persons authorised under the Acts.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is now illegal to shoot Mountain Hares (Lepus timidus) at night with the aid of a lamp or image intensifier, or at any time using any semi-automatic weapon with a magazine capable of holding two or more rounds of ammunition. However, licences can be granted to allow night shooting under certain circumstances.

Erm....erm.....bit awkward that? :blink:

Glad to read Lez's sensible/humane statement. I'm surprised by the number of hares found and shot elsewhere. They are very far from numerous in the area where I shoot vermin and I would never classify them as such. I consider them rather special and an ornament to the countryside - unlike badgers, but of course I am not allowed to shoot them and don't.

Glad to read Lez's sensible/humane statement. I'm surprised by the number of hares found and shot elsewhere. They are very far from numerous in the area where I shoot vermin and I would never classify them as such. I consider them rather special and an ornament to the countryside - unlike badgers, but of course I am not allowed to shoot them and don't.
i hear what your saying but up here there are hundres and hundreds and farmers class them as vermin so i have to deal with them accordingly

Sorry, little niggle here, but it's a leveret.
ssssssssssssooooooooooooo sorry :hmm:

You did the right thing, how did it cook up?
tender realy tender :good: