Tell us about your Series land rover.

Jim Sarakun

Having recently posted about my prized Landy, it got me wondering if any other members have a tale to tell about theirs.

I had a problem uploading a picture in the post, so tried here, and I think it has worked. Maybe the problem was because I was on a PC. that uses Linux, and the format is not recognised by this site. I will investigate later.

Well here is my little darling again, aint she a beaut?

post-10268-1284747787.jpg

I think though, it is a close call wether she is better looking than Kylies bum, don't you?

She failed the MOT today on tyres. I have some new ones that I bought 2 years ago nearly, after a cautionary on the test pass at that time. Tester rekons I need to fit them now.

Here is what I wanted to share with you. When I went to pick her up, there was another Series IIA parked outside the garage, a short wheelbase. The owner was admiring mine. So we had a chat, and he said that he had had his from new. It was a 1970 model, mine is a 71.

Incidentally, his had just passed the MOT.

I said that I'll bet he has some memories in that time.

He went on to tell me that he met his wife one summer whilst out in it, when he had just bought it. He had the top down and took her for a spin in it, one balmy hot summer evening, after meeting her in a local pub. He knew then that she was the woman for him.

He said that the following 2 years, whilst they did their courting, they went everywhere in that Series II. In the third year, they decided to go to Cornwall in it. He said in those days the roads were more suited for that type of vehicle, I knew what he meant.

A few days into the holiday, whilst sitting in the Series, watching the sun go down over the sea, he proposed to her. Now how romantic is that? My stomache was in knots the way he told it, AND she said yes. Only in a Landy eh? Bet none of those rice burner owners have had a similar experience.

And there's more.

On the last week end of the holiday, he told her that he had planned a special trip in the Landy, so no more swimming on that weekend, aparently she loved to swim there, and that she should have an open mind, 'cos anything could happen, and she had to wear her best frock.

Well, now get this............ he drove her, .........in the Landy, ...........top down, .........to the blooming Church, ........where all the family were waiting, ........and they got married. I could have used a tissue at this point.

That's what he told me, not 5 hours ago, and I thought it was great. I asked if the Landy was for sale. His answer........... NEVER. They still holiday in it now, on occasion.

That has got to be the best Land Rover related tale I have heard to date. But wait, have any Pigeon Watch members got one to top it.

I await your response, the tissue box is here ready...

Just been thinking..... maybe Kylies bum may be better looking... Nah!

Hiya,

10 years I stood aloft and proclaimed.never again will I own a series Landy............

Now the kids are older and the house is fairly sorted..................yep the garage once more smells of EP90.

dropped onto a solid '68 2a swb and got it for a dedicated shooting truck.

as my permissions are with in 5 miles I dont have to worry about creature comforts.

picked up a hardtop and rear door from a ebayer for the sum of ....................99p!

whole truck now NATO matt green.

pics to follow.

ATB

fudd

I managed to buy a series 1 safari and an L reg 110 for a grand about 5 years ago. I wish I wish I wish I held onto them, especially since they've gone up in price so much.

Sold the S1 the day I bought it on the doorstep of the person I bought it from for £300 more than I paid :good: but I insisted I wanted to drive it, so I got loads of pleasure from that.

The S1 had a direct driven winch on the front. I've never seen one again. Does anyone know what model it is or if it's a rare one. (big lump of metal which turns from the engine)

Hiya,

10 years I stood aloft and proclaimed.never again will I own a series Landy............

pics to follow.

ATB

fudd

Get under your skin don't they? Now hang on to it. Look forward to the pics..

I managed to buy a series 1 safari and an L reg 110 for a grand about 5 years ago. I wish I wish I wish I held onto them, especially since they've gone up in price so much.

Sold the S1 the day I bought it on the doorstep of the person I bought it from for £300 more than I paid :good: but I insisted I wanted to drive it, so I got loads of pleasure from that.

The S1 had a direct driven winch on the front. I've never seen one again. Does anyone know what model it is or if it's a rare one. (big lump of metal which turns from the engine)

Well Billy, I reckon you should take some of that money out from under your floor boards and get another. You will be able to shut those doors upstairs again, and have a classic at the same time too.

• 2 weeks later...

yep... it is a capstan winch, runs from a pto, can pull forwards or back... forwards you can use the normal gears to help pull you out.

for those that arnt in the know...

its a Land Rover 101 fc, built in 1976, one of 2500 made for the military, BAe systems & the sultan of Brunei

mine was a Rapier Tractor mainly served with 16 Regt RA Air Defence, but also with !2 regt, and 20 commando Regt,

there were 3 main Variants, GS, Ambulance, & Radio Body, the latter can be split into 3 more, Normal Rad Bod, Interceptor, & the Very rare Vampire..

they come in Right or Left Hand Drive, 12 Volt or 24 volt, 24v was FFR ( Fitted For Radio)

its a V8 permanent 4x4 and does about 12 mile to the gallon!!! but I am fitting a overdrive so should get 15 +

I can honestly say, it is a great pleaser to drive (hard work, as no power steering) but it makes me grin like a cat!!

thanks al.