bens day on the stubbles

cocker3

well the time had come today to try my 18 mth old cocker ben at pigeon shooting in a hide .now this can be a mind field of problems for older dogs never mind a young keen cocker but i have to say he did me proud .

spoke to a keeper pal of mine and he let me use some stubbles that have had pigeons working them for the last few weeks .as they are on a bit of the estate that is not used for shooting now so we set up at 1330 pm with a strong wind the birds were shifting about in small groups but not very keen to come in (which suited me as it was more training than bag size i was after )ben sat in the hide for about an hour and ten birds shot he was as good as gold . then i sent him out for a retrieve on a bird 30 yards out and he picked it first time with out me guiding him .then i gave him some harder ones 100+and he passed them but only just . i left him in the hide while i picked a few birds and he sat there well and content and when birds came in to the pattern i let him see them coming in and he never took his eyes off them the whole time his marking is first class for a young dog and he never seems to forget where the bird fell so its looking good for ben fo further trips out to the pigeons

i do use him at the partridge on the same estate and he has done very well as some one told me on saturday at the shooting he,s got a nose like a **** house rat and he marks well but is a bit too keen at time (running in ??? )so i think a bit of hide work is going to do him the world of good on both steadyness and blind retrieves . we ended the day with 36 pigeons and one crow and hever lost any so all in all a good first day

Edited by cocker3

Good looking dog.

Shame you are so far away, will be needing a stud for mine soon

thanks lads and elby i have had a few people want to use him for stub both is parents have realy good lines with a lot of ftc in them but i think its his looks that draws people to him :yahoo::no::D

As said gorgeous looking dog, sounds like you've started off well, I'm really jealous.took my chokky lab out last week, took a shot at a pigeon, turned around, and all I could see was a brown dot running across the field for home, tail between her legs!! wanna swap???

BB. :yahoo:

eehhhh no

sounds like a bit gun shy i have a cocker who is the very same try taking him to the clays and staying quite far out and over a few days slowly walk him in till he is comftable to sit and watch some dogs just dont like the sound first time (there not expecting this big ******* bang next to there head)and it can be a real pain in the *** i know how you feel buddy good luck :no: