New Pup

Ballymac

The OH has decided to get a few pet hens that will be free ranging around the house. Now I have two new pups that I intend to train over the coming months and years. Will this prove troublesome for the pups in that they will be told to leave the hens alone but flush other birds (when the time comes).

Will they become confused?. Are there any pitfalls in this or benefits of having hens regarding training issues?

Does anyone have or had the same experience and what are the things not to do and the things to do.

Besides not getting hens that is :hmm:

The OH has decided to get a few pet hens that will be free ranging around the house. Now I have two new pups that I intend to train over the coming months and years. Will this prove troublesome for the pups in that they will be told to leave the hens alone but flush other birds (when the time comes).

Will they become confused?. Are there any pitfalls in this or benefits of having hens regarding training issues?

Does anyone have or had the same experience and what are the things not to do and the things to do.

Besides not getting hens that is :hmm:

Ideal, a gun dog should be steady and you now have some good exposure for them. Hunting for you remember not for them

We have hens and a spaniel......... Dont turn your back on them for a second, although ours have been out together I wouldnt trust our spanner full stop.

Couple of times I've caught her on top of a chicken, although it seemed like a playfull act, if I'd left them alone I reckon I'd be a couple of chickens short :hmm:

I have chickens and my two dogs (one patterdale terrier and a whippet/lurcher) dont bother them at all, if anything are a little bit scared of them, but both are happy to get rabbits ( and next doors cats)

I made sure the dogs were introduced to the chickens when they were young and on a lead, and supervised them for a while until they didn't even notice them.

The general idea is to train your dog. Any gundog you can't train to ignore your chickens isn't going to make it as a gundog (Terriers are a different kettle of fish, though). I've got a GSP, a springer & a lab who completely ignore the hens in the garden & even with the GSP who was about 7 years old when the hens arrived, and a born hunter, learned very quickly that the hens were off limits. The GSP is now a retired old lady but the other two work all through the season, either, beating, picking up or sitting on a peg and they certainly know the difference between the boss's chickens & game.

Take it slowly at first - confine the chickens to a part of the garden & let the dog see them while on the lead. When they show real interest (which they will at first) pull them away with a firm "Leave that". Keep it up and within a surprisingly short time they'll get the message.

Cheers

TT

We have a 13 week old cocker and we are trying to get her used to the hens, she was fine but one day she got too close and they attacked her so now she runs and barks at them when they are in their run and when they are out they run at her and try to attack her again.

We've tried diverting her attention, and saying no and moving her away but as soon as she has the chance she's back at them barking. I'm hoping it's a puppy thing and she'll soon get bored.