advice please

pigeonstu

as a old traditionist,I said i would never own one.But just recently got to fancy a 3shot semi-auto,just for pigeons.I have seen a cheap breda(just to try out)in my local r.f.d,with 25"multi choke barrles. I would appreciate any opinions on the gun,what would the recoil be like?I have never fired a semi auto. thanks guys.

When I first fired a semi the biggest issue for me was the distraction of the shell being ejected!

After I got over that it was a pain in the *** to clean it 'properly'

All small issues though and other than these I love the easy light swing and very small recoil and they make excellent pigeon guns! My brother always makes the point that he shoot as well with his over and under clay gun and I almost never fire the 3rd shell but to be honest I like to own one of everything anyway as everything has its use!

only your prejudice will stop you buying a semi. they are great all rounder. They are pointable and great to swing, that's why the European's and USA love them. I have an O/U, SbyS and semi, but I have to admit that I love the semi, they are brill for pigeons, bolting rabbits and wildfowling.

only your prejudice will stop you buying a semi. they are great all rounder. They are pointable and great to swing, that's why the European's and USA love them. I have an O/U, SbyS and semi, but I have to admit that I love the semi, they are brill for pigeons, bolting rabbits and wildfowling.

thanks doc, whats your opinion on the 25" barrels?I would have preferred 28".

How much is "cheap"?

Remi 1100s / Berretta 301 / 303 / and can be readily found for £200 - £400 depending on age and condition.

Look around / try a few - don't jump in too soon and regret it.

£165 one month trial,not suit,money back.can,t go wrong.just concerned with 25" barrles.would have preferred 28". cheers mate.

£165 one month trial,not suit,money back.can,t go wrong.just concerned with 25" barrles.would have preferred 28". cheers mate.

Remember that 25" on a S-A is equivalent of 27-28" on a U/O -

The measure on a S-A is from the end of the bolt when in position up the chamber, but as the bolt needs to slide 2-3" to allow cartridge entry the action itself is longer than an U/O

You will find that if you measure the over-all gun length of a 25/26" S-A its similar to that of a 27/28" break action gun.

Rule of thumb is add 2" to a semi's barrel length specification to equate it with break opening guns.

Sounds a good deal, the new breed of Semi Auto are very fast older types as a generalisation are more bang clunk. I used an old type berretta and the cycle speed was slow and delibrate compared to the SX3 i have just aquired a Webley 810 off here and that is also slower but fast enough to do the job. With a fast semi you just don't seem to realise that it has cycled and you can fire them way faster than you would ever wish to.

Auto is the best gun IMO but they are simply not accepted for driven shooting. Daft realy when you consider there are guns out there with loaders and a pair of break action ejectors who have achieved 4 dead in the air simultaniously and how less sporting is the three shot limited semi? I think as more manufacturers build nice traditional wood semis thier day will come very soon even in the land of tweed and expensive wellies perhaps, maybee :good:

Sounds a good deal, the new breed of Semi Auto are very fast older types as a generalisation are more bang clunk. I used an old type berretta and the cycle speed was slow and delibrate compared to the SX3 i have just aquired a Webley 810 off here and that is also slower but fast enough to do the job. With a fast semi you just don't seem to realise that it has cycled and you can fire them way faster than you would ever wish to.

Auto is the best gun IMO but they are simply not accepted for driven shooting. Daft realy when you consider there are guns out there with loaders and a pair of break action ejectors who have achieved 4 dead in the air simultaniously and how less sporting is the three shot limited semi? I think as more manufacturers build nice traditional wood semis thier day will come very soon even in the land of tweed and expensive wellies perhaps, maybee :good:

spot on Lent,I've thought that they think semi's are unsporting but are quite happy to have 4 shots from 2 guns,I guess it makes them look good as they have "staff",semi's are becoming more popular,look how many new models are hitting the shops,a matter of time

The chap I usually shoot clays with on a Sunday morning was simply horrified when I said I was going to buy my Maxus - he is a traditional game shooter. His face was a oicture when he begrudgingly had a go and hit 3 consecutive pairs of tricky clays a couple of weeks later - something he'd failed to do a few minutes earler with with his OU. :good::P

For me personally and has been noted before the mechanical noises of the carts being cycled and ejected is a little disconcerting at first - but soon forgotten.

Cleaning wise it takes a little longer - I find that the Napier gun cleaner/solvent/lubricant spray works brilliantly - back to 'as new'.