feel mugged off

mattc83

bought a a browning medalist through someone on the shoot last weekend. only paid a tonne for it so i thought id take it in to get serviced and new chokes. came out of the shop seething. bascially whoever had the gun before tried cutting the chokes out and may have ****** up the thread on the barrel, also the catch under the forend has been welding back on themselves, over heated the barrel and i have been told that i may not be able to shoot steel through bottom barrel. they must have blatenly knew the problems. rest of the gun is in pretty good nick but wot i thought was gonna be a cheap starter gun is slowly startin to cost me a packet.

bought a a browning medalist through someone on the shoot last weekend. only paid a tonne for it so i thought id take it in to get serviced and new chokes. came out of the shop seething. bascially whoever had the gun before tried cutting the chokes out and may have ****** up the thread on the barrel, also the catch under the forend has been welding back on themselves, over heated the barrel and i have been told that i may not be able to shoot steel through bottom barrel. they must have blatenly knew the problems. rest of the gun is in pretty good nick but wot i thought was gonna be a cheap starter gun is slowly startin to cost me a packet.

nightmare mate hope it isnt too bad.......ps what gun shop did you take it to?

Seriously though, what do you expect from an U/O shotgun for £100?

I reckon you could strip it for bits and get more for it that £100.

Have a quick look on gun trader and see what you get for a oner.

EDIT:

I have had a look on GT and of the 4,000 plus O/U guns they have for sale, there are 5 that are £100 or less - and yes, I bet you they are 5 guns you really wouldn't want, hence the price tag.

Edited by Mungler

Seriously though, what do you expect from an U/O shotgun for £100?

I reckon you could strip it for bits and get more for it that £100.

Have a quick look on gun trader and see what you get for a oner.

wasnt hoping for much, just something that i could buy, and take straight out on the field

If the fore-end loop (the bit the fore-end clips onto) has been welded onto the barrels then its "out of proof" and you need to take it back and get your money back, was it a Dealer you brought it from ?

Barrels should Never be welded Anywhere! by Anybody except Bronze welded

Wb

If the fore-end loop (the bit the fore-end clips onto) has been welded onto the barrels then its "out of proof" and you need to take it back and get your money back, was it a Dealer you brought it from ?

Barrels should Never be welded Anywhere! by Anybody except Bronze welded

Wb

nah not from a dealer, bought through someone off the shoot. i dont think iv got any chanc eof getting my money back. am going to wait and see what the verdict is tomorrow

i knew i was gonna have to spend a 100 odd notes on it. if i can get it sorted within that then i'll be happy. its a nice tidy gun apart from the probelms iv got with it. i wouldnt have minded if they were honest with me when i bought it. i asked them if the chokes were stuck etc but said nothing. i undestand why now

If the fore-end loop (the bit the fore-end clips onto) has been welded onto the barrels then its "out of proof" and you need to take it back and get your money back

nah not from a dealer, bought through someone off the shoot. i dont think iv got any chanc eof getting my money back. am going to wait and see what the verdict is tomorrow

You need to reread what Wabbit is telling you, he knows his onions. If the foreend loop has been welded back on then the gun is out of proof and should not be fired.

As for getting your money back, selling or offering for sale an out of proof gun is a serious offence, which potentially carries prison time or a fine which runs into thousands. I'm sure the seller, once acquainted with the law (which he has broken) will stump up fast.

If an untrained person has welded anything onto the barrels, do not fire it. It is in a potentially dangerous condition.

Get your money back :blush:

You need to reread what Wabbit is telling you, he knows his onions. If the foreend loop has been welded back on then the gun is out of proof and should not be fired.

As for getting your money back, selling or offering for sale an out of proof gun is a serious offence, which potentially carries prison time or a fine which runs into thousands. I'm sure the seller, once acquainted with the law (which he has broken) will stump up fast.

If an untrained person has welded anything onto the barrels, do not fire it. It is in a potentially dangerous condition.

Get your money back :good:

cheers for that. if hes reluctant to cough up the money, is it the boys in blue i need to contact?

The Gun Barrel Proof Act of 1868 states, it an offence to sell, offer for sale, transfer, export or pawn an unproofed firearm, with certain exceptions for military organisations. Penalties for noncompliance with proof laws are severe; a fine of £5,000 may be levied for selling an unproofed or out-of proof firearm, more if a number of firearms are involved in a transaction. Tampering with, or forging a proof mark is regarded as even more serious.

Thats the official line!

Lets hope it dont come to this, but I would have been put off slightly by the original price tag. I do hope you get sorted out. You didnt say what marsh you was hoping to go on ??

The Gun Barrel Proof Act of 1868 states, it an offence to sell, offer for sale, transfer, export or pawn an unproofed firearm, with certain exceptions for military organisations. Penalties for noncompliance with proof laws are severe; a fine of £5,000 may be levied for selling an unproofed or out-of proof firearm, more if a number of firearms are involved in a transaction. Tampering with, or forging a proof mark is regarded as even more serious.

Thats the official line!

Lets hope it dont come to this, but I would have been put off slightly by the original price tag. I do hope you get sorted out. You didnt say what marsh you was hoping to go on ??

it will hopefully be sorted today. having a mate do it on my behalf as i (like most people) can have a firery temper which can get me in trouble. will be requesting my money back otherwise i will be taking things down the other route. hopefully he wont want to go down that way. the more and more i read and understand how severe this is, it makes me angrier that someone would sell a gun in this state. i was going to let some of my family try it but have now thought otherwise and dont feel comfortable shooting it myself. hopefully it'll get sorted and with then be heading to a dealer with a little bit more money. im just seeing this as a learning curve. will let you all know how i get on

it will hopefully be sorted today. having a mate do it on my behalf as i (like most people) can have a firery temper which can get me in trouble. will be requesting my money back otherwise i will be taking things down the other route. hopefully he wont want to go down that way. the more and more i read and understand how severe this is, it makes me angrier that someone would sell a gun in this state. i was going to let some of my family try it but have now thought otherwise and dont feel comfortable shooting it myself. hopefully it'll get sorted and with then be heading to a dealer with a little bit more money. im just seeing this as a learning curve. will let you all know how i get on

getting my money back. bloke who i bought it off wasnt aware of the issue and thinks this may have gone back a few owners. neither of the guys are happy as they have shot this and could have been seriously hurt. myself and the seller will be arranging for it to be destroyed :good::lol::lol::P

thanks all for ya input

matt