Target shooting 250yds

Gonna Shoot a Wabbit

Dear all.

Well dead eye duck and i have been waiting for a still day for weeks now, now our local farmer has combined our favourite field we use as a long range rifle range for the centrefire rifles where we can back off to 250yds.

Now Don and i have been known to engage in psychological warfare on occasion and the barracking can reach epic proportions :yes: which all has to taken into account when taking shots HA HA HA.

When shooting the rimfires on our 75yd range we shoot what we affectionately call the 5 shot challenge. 1 shot at 10yds standing, 20yds standing, 30yds kneeling, 50yds prone, 75yds prone all with a time limit of 5 seconds from when the stock is nestled into your shoulder. Hits are only recorded that are inside a 1 inch kill zone. We have done this for years as neither of us are dedicated range junkies but it is excellent practice for normal rimfire sporting targets where speed and accuracy are what count, don usually wins :good:

We have discussed a similar challenge for the centrefires out to 250yds something like. 1 shot 50yds off sticks, 75yds off sticks, 125yds prone and 2 shots from 250yds prone. However what would be the bullet drop at 250yds?:lol: a very good excuse to go shooting to find out.

So upon arrival we met up with a shooting buddy of ours myzeneye on here. who decided to go for a wander in pursuit of crows once safe lines of fire had been agreed. Don and i checked the zero on his .223 sako and my 243 CZ at 100yds and all was found in good order at 3/4 inch high so off we went to 250yds.

A little bit of technical stuff before we go any farther. My rifle is a CZ 550 in .243, fitted with a T8 moderator, with a swarovski 4-12 x 50 scope on top, hand loaded 75grain v max bullet, 45grains of vhita vouri powder, lapua cases and remington primer. The weather is bright and clear and according to the weather forcaster a 5mph wind blowing.

Well don and i arrived at our paced out firing point, bloody hell those targets are a long way away and after a restorative cup of tea we had a go. My targets have a heavily defined 1 1/2inch black 8 ring and even at 12 mag my crosshairs completely covered it. The wind is blowing from left to right and steadily. I decided not to try to allow for bullet drop or windage and shoot in the same place every time at the bullseye, the object of the exercise being to see what i am dealing with bulletdropwise at this range. So i placed 4 shots downrange taking my time, no time limit on practice sessions HA HA. Don shot his sako with his usual aplomb and shot very well too ( i do hate him HA HA). i couldnt see where my shots had gone at that range but they all felt good. With a sense of trepidation we gathered our gear and went to see how we had done.

At 50yds away i couldnt see any holes on the target face and thought holy **** i am never going to hear the last of this. However at 25yds i could see a cluster of holes lower than expected. Trepidation turned to triumph as i realised i had shot a cloverleaf from 250yds out. Without doubt the best 4 shots of my life, if i never live to do it again......... i did it once........in your face don!!!!! :lol: HA HA. The group is 1/2 inch right which accounts for the wind at that distance and that speed, and 2 inches low from bullseye. And measures 1/2 inch across the 4 shot string exactly.

P9260042.jpg

P9260044.jpg

I hope you will all forgive my excited blatherings, just got to do it again now :lol:

All the best, GSAW