Making decoys?

brain dead

Guest flightline
My mum made me go to school  :thumbs:  I'll try as soon as i can, never made paper mashce before  :D  :(  :)

I can`t believe that! It was all we jolly did at skule up to age 11-papier ******** mache! :)  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/  :/

Remember to ask your ma before you borrow her liquidiser to make the papier maché!!

:laugh:  :laugh:

I am going to make some real bird shells this summer.  They are made by de-breasting and cleaning birds, then preserving them with formaldehyde (raid the biology lab!  lol).  Apparently they are the best deeks.  I will mail instructions if anyone is interested.

I have a good idea, get a pigeon gut it like a phesant or partrage. Fill the cavity with window sealer and then laminate it :thumbs:  :D  :(

No seriously we have a vat former at school, i'll carv a wooden pigeon, or a reverse plaster cast of whole decoy and vat form it into a shell. so i will have a plaster cast mould which i can reuse.

Hammergun - I read about this formaldehyde method in Archie Coats book. It looked straight forward enough, but I never got round to trying it on account of the fact that I couldn't get my mitts on any formaldehyde. Somebody told me to try the local undertaker, but I bottled out of that one. Let me know if you have any joy acquiring the stuff, I am convinced that decoys from dead birds are the most realistic and therefore the most productive. The only drawback may be transporting the things, I would imagine they would damage easily.

A short warning about formaldehyde: along with it being an unplesant substance, the fumes have a sensitising effect that after repeated exposure can cause a severe reaction in some people. ie when in the car keep them sealed in a box or bag, and have the window open.