Left and right, missed the first......

Cosd

I suppose this would apply for both live quarry and clay, here's the scenario....

You have a possible left and right presenting itself and decide which way you are going to take both birds, you take your first shot and miss!

Do you then continue with plan "A" and attempt the shot on the second bird, or do you take another shot at the missed one?

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but something I have been thinking about.

I was always told, one bird at a time, if you miss with 1st then you have the second barrel. but alas, i'm like Tom and i shoot at the 1st and then switch to 2nd bird, but the time i have swung to 2nd its often to late and i cock it up. sometime i do get all 3 with the semi but its a waiting game as i like to get the back bird as close as i can without the front bird spooking.

Hmmm interesting :)

I've not had the opportunity of a left and right with live quarry yet as they tend to come in as singles for me, but would I treat a pair differently to clays? Almost definitely!

On clays I give the same degree of commitment to both birds. If I miss the first one then as far as I am concerned I've screwed that shot up and another pop at the same one won't redeem it in my eyes - it needs to count first time, every time. I don't let a miss get to me and just swap my concentration to dusting the second bird which, quite infuriatingly, I often do.

Live birds - I will have two shots if necessary at the same. Better one dead than two making away! :good:

Good OP mate - made me think about it too!

Cheers

Paul

weather im clay shooting or live shooting i alwasy stick to the first bird, if you pull the trigger once and miss your still sett up on the first target for a 2nd attempt,

changing to the second targed leaves you setting up all over again and the possible target may have moved furter away out off range or gone compleetly

weather im clay shooting or live shooting i alwasy stick to the first bird, if you pull the trigger once and miss your still sett up on the first target for a 2nd attempt,

changing to the second targed leaves you setting up all over again and the possible target may have moved furter away out off range or gone compleetly

:good:

In competitive clay shooting you cannot shoot at the first bird twice unless you have full use of the gun on that bird.

With quarry you would generally stay locked on the first target as you are already tracking it, however if a better shot presents itself for whatever reason then it's safe to assume you would take it!

FM :good:

No its not, its the easiest way to empty a gun without dropping anything decoying except a b0ll0ck..

Mark your bird all the way in, and take him when he is perfect step forward and bring the gun up on the next, irrespective of what else happens infront of your hide, make sure you connect 9 times out of 10 on the first one and it aint a problem, the first one shouldnt even hear the shot that nails him never mind see you.

Edited by manxman2

If I plan for a left and right, after I pull the trigger on the first bird Im straight away looking for the second.

If Iv missed the first then tuff luck for me :good:

If a group of pigeons are comming in, and Iv not decided/planned on a left and right, I will concentrate on one bird at a time :)

I suppose this would apply for both live quarry and clay, here's the scenario....

You have a possible left and right presenting itself and decide which way you are going to take both birds, you take your first shot and miss!

Do you then continue with plan "A" and attempt the shot on the second bird, or do you take another shot at the missed one?

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but something I have been thinking about.

dosn;t really matter as long as you bring one of them down;but know what you mean when that happens with me i go for same bird again because your gun is already on that bird so a second shot at it is instant..but if you look for the other bird you have to mount the gun again and lock on to that bird;by the time you shoot it has made probably 20 yards after flaring to the first shot so makes it more difficult.

also agree with pro tom just concentrate on getting one of them..when or if you do then look for the second bird :good:

and ps.

You boys aiming a shotgun is where your going wrong, your gun either comes to your eye, and as it hits your shoulder is pointing where your eye is looking, or its time for a better fitting gun.

Ask any proficient skeet shooter does he aim a gun.

Edited by manxman2

and ps.

You boys aiming a shotgun is where your going wrong, your gun either comes to your eye, and as it hits your shoulder is pointing where your eye is looking, or its time for a better fitting gun.

Ask any proficient skeet shooter does he aim a gun.

Yes but we ain't not skeet shooters, we be pigeon shooters...............

....sometimes. the rest the time we be like rope bangers, all noise but nothing dies.haha.

Phil.

All you will achieve by aiming a shotgun is a miss below, as the muzzle dips as you pull he trigger.

shoulder cheek POP.

try that at a long crossing shot;or high driven shot when you have to measure; and judge how much forward allowance you need to make contact

Edited by yickdaz

try that at a long crossing shot;or high driven shot when you have to measure; and judge how much forward allowance you need to make contact

I am not looking for a debate on the matter, simply showing any greenhorns, one of many mistakes they will make.

As to your thoughts.

Never been on driven pheasant so i dont know, what i do know that i have taken many many screamers in my time, and the shooting action is the same

gun to shoulder cheek hits stock muzzle rammed up through and in front of the target and pop as the muzzle is still moving, theres only one way to shoot correctly, all other ways are just differing versions of it, with poorer results.

No use trying to advise on lead etc, until they can shoot straight, when they start missing behind rather than below or above they are on their way to being a half decent shot.

If when decoying they are winging or missing sitters it will be be they shoot low.

Get yourself 10 fertilizer bags, slit them up the seems.

Then attatch them one at a time to a stack or wheel of straw.

Draw a black spot dead centre, now aim at it and count to 5 simulating aiming at a landing bird then fire.

I will bet 2 out of 3 times you fire the majority of the pattern will hit below centre.

Its just advice from someone who hit more than he missed, take it or leave it.

Edited by manxman2

I will bet 2 out of 3 times you fire the majority of the pattern will hit below centre.

I was patterning some home loaded cartridges yesterday afternoon.

I aimed the gun, shot was dead center if not slightly high every time :good:

I am not looking for a debate on the matter, simply showing any greenhorns, one of many mistakes they will make.

As to your thoughts.

Never been on driven pheasant so i dont know, what i do know that i have taken many many screamers in my time, and the shooting action is the same

gun to shoulder cheek hits stock muzzle rammed up through and in front of the target and pop as the muzzle is still moving, theres only one way to shoot correctly, all other ways are just differing versions of it, with poorer results.

No use trying to advise on lead etc, until they can shoot straight, when they start missing behind rather than below or above they are on their way to being a half decent shot.

If when decoying they are winging or missing sitters it will be be they shoot low.

Get yourself 10 fertilizer bags, slit them up the seems.

Then attatch them one at a time to a stack or wheel of straw.

Draw a black spot dead centre, now aim at it and count to 5 simulating aiming at a landing bird then fire.

any advice is good advice if it works for ya ill try that next time im out cheers,being new i need advice as i miss on average 3 out of 5 on a good day :good:

Yorkshiremen dont like wasting cartridges anyway alledgedly.

Be lucky buddie.

PS

The essence of what i am trying to transmit is this, the longer the period between shoulder cheek and then firing is more missed below, due to over-balance{leaning forward} or stopping the smooth action of shoulder cheek pop by stopping the smooth barrel run thru of the target{miss behind and/or below}.

Your eye is on the target, swapping concentration to the bead is a no no, either the gun comes up to the eye correctly or it doesnt, if the later try and then buy another.

After your cheek hits the stock the gun should be pointing in the same place as if you had outstretched your arn and were pointing a finger at where you want the pattern to go..

Edited by manxman2

• 2 weeks later...

In competitive clay shooting you cannot shoot at the first bird twice unless you have full use of the gun on that bird.

That's ******** ! in competitive sporting or fitasc shooting you can double barrel the first bird if you want -- there is NO rule to say must shoot at the other target !

f3