Shortened barrel on Tikka T3 in .308

Raja Clavata

So, there's a second hand .308 available with the barrel cut down to 16" professionally by precision rifles in Bromsgrove. The crown has been properly finished off and all looks well.

I like the look of it as it's nice and compact (and I don't want to spend more on it than I did on my .243 set-up).

Anyone have any opinion on whether this is one to avoid or not?

Thanks in advance

Raja

yea same as above if its for hunting then dont worry about it like you said it short and compact ideal for hunting/stalking.

If it was for targets then you will loose FPS but then again speed isn't everything a lot of people have super accurate loads that aren't the fastest tho

A couple of my close shooting buddies know Richard Pope personally and have work done by him, i have been to his place and its all there and he knows his stuff so rest assured it will be a shooter

atb Richard

has snows said richard is a great guy. ive had work done by him and he is top notch i allways use him now as he is close to where i live. and prices seam very good

and the bonus is he will do most things well you wait depending on what it is of course.

Edited by jamie g

Don't be a in a major hurry to fill the slot.

If you sit tight a tidy .308 will crop up - best place to look is on here and the airgun BBS.

If you want a light short barrel stalking rifle then you should come and have a look at the Steyr Scout I got off the BBS about 5 months ago. I didn't want the Leupold scope that came on it and by the time I sold the scope the rifle stood me only about £200 and it's a minter.

Sit tight and be choosey - ask yourself why it's been hanging around a while and steer clear of anything being sold second hand from a home loader or range freak.

Alternatively look at a brand new CZ.

I've got an evenings wild boar shooting booked 27th of this month so can't sit too tight nor be too choosey (unfortunately)

I have a 16" .308 - although I had it built that way (ie the barrel started life at 16"......so, the taper is "right")

I've no knowledge of the smith you mention, but I'd ask how long was it originally?

You should get around 2,450-2,500fps with 150g's - so well deer legal and enough to bring home the bacon.

Are you planning to reload ?

I saw thsi in shooting times might be of some intrest.

I intend to go wild boar shooting soon. In your opinion, what calibre would you say is best for boar?

A:

First of all, before raising a rifle to a wild boar, you must ensure your firearms certificate specifies you are allowed to shoot these animals.

As far as rifle calibres are concerned, wild boar are powerful, strong and potentially dangerous animals that must be treated with respect.

A 200lb boar has an extremely tough, thick skin and powerful bones, and demands a calibre which will ensure a killing shot.

There have been reports of calibres as small as .22 centrefires being used against wild boar, but these, and even .243 Winchester calibre rifles, are inadequate and should never be contemplated.

The result will usually be a wounded animal which may die a lingering death or prove extremely dangerous.

The minimum calibre to be used against wild boar is the .270 Win, delivering a muzzle energy of 2,700ft/lb, but it is recommended that a calibre of no less than 7mm with a bullet of 160 grains-plus and muzzle energy of no less than 2,800ft/lb should be used.

I saw thsi in shooting times might be of some intrest.

I intend to go wild boar shooting soon. In your opinion, what calibre would you say is best for boar?

A:

First of all, before raising a rifle to a wild boar, you must ensure your firearms certificate specifies you are allowed to shoot these animals.

As far as rifle calibres are concerned, wild boar are powerful, strong and potentially dangerous animals that must be treated with respect.

A 200lb boar has an extremely tough, thick skin and powerful bones, and demands a calibre which will ensure a killing shot.

There have been reports of calibres as small as .22 centrefires being used against wild boar, but these, and even .243 Winchester calibre rifles, are inadequate and should never be contemplated.

The result will usually be a wounded animal which may die a lingering death or prove extremely dangerous.

The minimum calibre to be used against wild boar is the .270 Win, delivering a muzzle energy of 2,700ft/lb, but it is recommended that a calibre of no less than 7mm with a bullet of 160 grains-plus and muzzle energy of no less than 2,800ft/lb should be used.

2,800 !!!!!

Were they European boar (bigger) ?

Jeez what a load of old cobblers :blush:

You might well be right with this particular example, but surely as .308 is the fullbore calibre of choice for 1000's of target shooters the opposite is often true. :blush:

Whilst that maybe true, most sporting rifles I know are used solely for sporting pursuits!

I wouldnt want to shoot 20 rounds out of my lightweight 308 sporter on a range day.... :blush: