Landrover curious...........

Blunderbuss

Landrover virgin here, but I've been thinking of getting one for a while. I'm thinking of spending up to about 5K, but less if I can. I'd really like a Defender but I'm shocked at how much people ask for 15/20 year old rust buckets with 200K miles on the clock! I don't fancy a Freelander but would consider a Disco, though I don't know much about them.

To be used as a second vehicle mainly for local run around and shooting trips with occasional longer trips up the motorway

So PW fountain of knowledge, what kind of Disco or Defender could I reasonably expect for up to 5K and what models should I seek out or avoid, and what pitfalls await me :good:

Edited by Blunderbuss

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're best off with a defender I think if it's not going to used that much. A disco will rot away before your eyes if not used a lot. Also Defender hold their value if looked after as you've discovered.

For £5,000 look for 90/100's or early Defenders that have been looked after. You could get an absolute minter C, D, E, F reg 90 for £4,000 - 5,000.

It varies massivley with a vehicle of that age in what's good about it and what isn't. For £3,000 expect very good chassis, bulkhead, gearbox and drivetrain generally, and engine should run well for it's age. You then have enough cash to send the engine off to turners for a rebuild or buy the bits and do it yourself and just send it off for a rebore and skim.

For £5,000 (I'd go for an older model just because I am like that) they will be in mega good condition and haven't got all those electronics everywhere which make it hard to repair yourself and expensive to get repaired.

Landrover virgin here, but I've been thinking of getting one for a while. I'm thinking of spending up to about 5K, but less if I can. I'd really like a Defender but I'm shocked at how much people ask for 15/20 year old rust buckets with 200K miles on the clock! I don't fancy a Freelander but would consider a Disco, though I don't know much about them.

To be used as a second vehicle mainly for local run around and shooting trips with occaisional longer trips up the motorway

So PW fountain of knowledge, what kind of Disco or Defender could I reasonably expect for up to 5K and what models should I seek out or avoid, and what pitfalls await me :good:

Hi

If you need any advice or what me to come along to view and talk about pitfalls etc just PM me.

5 K would buy a decent TD5 disco or a good 200/300TDI defender 90 or 110.

Cheers OTH

Another dumb question. How much of an issue is high mileage? I've seen nothing less than 100K in my price range and most are a lot more than that, up to over 200K! :good: I suppose it depends on how it's been used and serviced, but as a rule can LR engines take this in their stride?

Edited by Blunderbuss

200,000 miles would be tops I would think. They'd last much longer than that much would be burners and rattle around liek mad. A full rebuild will cost a lot. Not sure of exact price but I'd say £1,000 to £1,500. A rebore and skim a few hundred.

Looking at adverts in LRO now got a 1984 90, new 200 TDi, looks mint on the outside - £2,999

1988 200TDi, 95,000 miles, again looks good on the outside - £2,200

1989 200TDi, £4,750.

Very limited descriptions given but should be good underneath for that money - and outside appearance reflects care for the vehicle.

1986 ex mod 90 200TDi, good chassis and bulkhead, new gearbox, transfer box and clutch - £3,450.

Then you get a 2005 TD5 with 50,000 miles which is a fair bit when there's a 95,000 miler for £2,200. this one is £10,500.

All very variable - you just have to go and get a look at them :good:

Another dumb question. How much of an issue is high mileage? I've seen nothing less than 100K in my price range and most are a lot more than that, up to over 200K! :good: I suppose it depends on how it's been used and serviced, but as a rule can LR engines take this in their stride?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...age/6?logcode=p

My uncle has one a G Reg 2.5 Turbo (pre TDi) and its had a rebuild only done 60k, Also had new turbo and various other bits, but left standing does almost as much damage.

http://www.exmod.co.uk/index.html might be worth a call.

Edited by HDAV

I picked up my 2000 (X reg) Disco TD5 GS for around that price.

106K on the clock and no issues except that air suspension was gone on one side, but I got the cost of replacing both knocked off when I pointed it out to the garage ;)

Landies all have issues at some point, but this model was recommended to me as it is one of the last years that it is really practical to work on it yourself.

Have had a few issues (filters needed replacing, starter motor contacts replaced, 3 Amigo's due to brake shuttle valve), but I did all the work myself and would say that with the replacement suspension as well it has not cost me more than £300 since I've had it.

90's and 110's are all very well, but if you want some comfort, a working heater and a car that will do everything off-road that you are likely to need, go for a Disco :good:

Edited by 955i

200,000 miles would be tops I would think. They'd last much longer than that much would be burners and rattle around liek mad.

Not true, i have 209,000 on the clock of my 'M' reg 300tdi, still get about 28mpg, runs sweet and pulls better than the TD5 double cab!!! Do not milage put you off some great deals to be had with high milage defenders. ;)

200,000 miles would be tops I would think. They'd last much longer than that much would be burners and rattle around liek mad. A full rebuild will cost a lot. Not sure of exact price but I'd say £1,000 to £1,500. A rebore and skim a few hundred.

Looking at adverts in LRO now got a 1984 90, new 200 TDi, looks mint on the outside - £2,999

1988 200TDi, 95,000 miles, again looks good on the outside - £2,200

1989 200TDi, £4,750.

Very limited descriptions given but should be good underneath for that money - and outside appearance reflects care for the vehicle.

1986 ex mod 90 200TDi, good chassis and bulkhead, new gearbox, transfer box and clutch - £3,450.

Then you get a 2005 TD5 with 50,000 miles which is a fair bit when there's a 95,000 miler for £2,200. this one is £10,500.

All very variable - you just have to go and get a look at them :yes:

It might sound daft to asked but what does Ex Mod stand for? Ex military ??

To be used as a second vehicle mainly for local run around and shooting trips with occasional longer trips up the motorway

So PW fountain of knowledge, what kind of Disco or Defender could I reasonably expect for up to 5K and what models should I seek out or avoid, and what pitfalls await me :yes:

If i dont get work in next few weeks my 1990 G reg 90 in nato green with a warn winch will be up for sale pretty tidy with a 200tdi thats done 105 thou will be looking for 3,500

quite a funny topic this, basically 5K buys you a high mileage shed of a landrover,

compare that to my latest at under 6K, one owner 2005 L200 with 60K and a full history. Not a rattle in sight and 30mpg going shooting on friday up to cumbria in it not something you'd do in a 5k defender :good: funny sorts these landrover enthusiasts

quite a funny topic this, basically 5K buys you a high mileage shed of a landrover,

compare that to my latest at under 6K, one owner 2005 L200 with 60K and a full history. Not a rattle in sight and 30mpg going shooting on friday up to cumbria in it not something you'd do in a 5k defender :good: funny sorts these landrover enthusiasts

Yeah but the L200 will be gone in 3 or 4 years, the shed of a landy will still be driving round with an MOT....

L200 are disposable.. :yes:

compare that to my latest at under 6K, one owner 2005 L200 with 60K and a full history. Not a rattle in sight and 30mpg going shooting on friday up to cumbria in it not something you'd do in a 5k defender :yes: funny sorts these landrover enthusiasts

It's the premium you pay for not looking like a peg selling, drive mac'in, tree cutting gyppo.

:good: