`Fowlers wet dream

henry d

I always plan my trips to Scotland when there is a full moon. I have only ever had 1 pinkfoot under it tho. All the conditions were right, cloud was nice and fluffy and there was a bit of a breeze. I missed an easy bunch early on but managed to call and polax a single bird. I will always remember that shot, my first moon flighted goose.

A few hours past and things were looking really good, untill the cloud disapeered and all you could see were stars and the big full moon. Those geese knew when to lift that night! They all waited untill the cloud had gone and up they went. I couldnt see a single bird, but the noise was amazing. It sounded like every goose was flying over me. Not sure how high they were but i couldnt see one! One of the best nights of my goose flighting experience tho.

The next night was the complete opposite. Alot of fog and there was not a murmor from out on the sands. Where as the previous night it was alive with all wildlife.

Pete

I have not done it for a while, normally we arrange to go out and it clouds over and you can't see anything.

It is great fun decoying wigeon under the moon. It makes for very fast shooting.

I may have to set aside a few nights this year.

It sounded like every goose was flying over me. Not sure how high they were but i couldnt see one! One of the best nights of my goose flighting experience tho.

Yeah, isn`t it just.

All you get is a star or two winking out as the geese fly past.

I have seen many 000`s of geese when I`ve been out stalking on ground I haven`t been on since last year and also heard that there were 67k of pinks counted on Montrose a week or so ago and I would hazard a guess they are starting to move about the country now. If we get a good moon this week then I may just have a go myself :good:

also heard that there were 67k of pinks counted on Montrose a week or so ago and I would hazard a guess they are starting to move about the country now. If we get a good moon this week then I may just have a go myself :good:

Still an awful lot of geese at the basin and vast numbers on the stubbles a field or two away from my house. The noise when they all get up is incredible, and it's like a cartoon bee swarm to start with, and that's just the few that decide to come over my house.

Had a couple of pinks under the moon on successive nights, this time last year. If the full moon had been about 10 days ago then i think i may have had a few. Most of the pinks seem to be flying over next door's marsh just at the moment.

Hopefully a load of the geese from montrose will make their way to the wash. :yes:

The pinks hardly ever move under the moon on my marsh. Spend dozens of fruitless flights for just a hand full of pinks. Had perfect skys when the geese just sat out on the sands until dawn, nights when the sky cleared of cloud and the geese have streamed over head and you can't see them and nights when the cloud has remained too thick for the geese to move. I much prefer a normal dawn flight. You know no matter what the geese will flight rather than 8 freezing hours out under the moon without a sign of a goose.

Edited by anser2

The pinks hardly ever move under the moon on my marsh. Spend dozens of fruitless flights for just a hand full of pinks. Had perfect skys when the geese just sat out on the sands until dawn, nights when the sky cleared of cloud and the geese have streamed over head and you can't see them and nights when the cloud has remained too thick for the geese to move. I much prefer a normal dawn flight. You know no matter what the geese will flight rather than 8 freezing hours out under the moon without a sign of a goose.

the moon flight gives me a good reason to leave the house at dinner time and not come back till next day dinertime.

spend a long time on the marsh..evening flight, moonflight and morning flight in 1

i dont mind if i dont get a shot or even see a duck or goose!

i just love to be out there!