woodcock

Dr D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was out for the first time this season with the dog for a few hours, 2 rabbits, 1 squirrel and 1 magpie but no woodcock. Hope to be out on Thurs for afew hours in a different area where htere should be woodcock, so will find out if there are any about in good numbers.

what sort of condition were the birds in ollie? did it look like they had been a while to get a bit of fat on them yet?

I haven't prepared them yet so I don't know the fat content but they are plump enough. The 2nd bird I shot in particular was a good going bird so there was nothing wrong with their energy levels. The other birds I didn't get shooting at flew well also. I personally wouldn't shoot a woodcock that didn't offer a sporting shot.

WAS out last Thurs with shooting buddy and his son. We managed 4 rabbits, 2 hen pheasants, 2 squirrels and 2 pigeons, and we also managed 2 woodcock and flushed another 3 which we had no shot at. Woodcock were in good condition, although not plentiful yet.Picture shows some of the bag, 1 woodcock and squirrels missing. Got out on saturday morn for a few hours on a new permission but did not flush one bird, although had a few pigeons feeding on acorns.

F3X3 where you out on a walked up day that you paid for, or was it just a few guys hunting an area? I am taking a walked up day next week in that area and am hoping that the woodcock will be in (full moon around the 21st)

post-2289-0-88749900-1289813520.jpg

Edited by Ballymac

i honestly cant remember the last time i went on my permission and didnt see atleast 1 woodcock!

They are plenty here all year round.

have only shot 2 so far this season

could easily go now and garantee flushing 10 or more

i love the taste of them but dont shoot many

90% of what i flush flys on without been shot at

Was beating yesterday on a shoot in Oxfordshire. 107 pheasant, 2 pigeons, 2 woodcock, 1 squirrel and a jay. Saw about 10 birds in total, all flew well apart from 1. That one looked really tired and although it flew along the line of guns, a gun wasn't even raised at it. The 2 that were shot were in very good condition and I have since heard from my friend who's dad shot one that it had a lot of fat on it as well so they are in good condition. Still a lack of them in our area but so far so good. I suppose they're flying in as we speak with this moon and the numbers will hopefully be higher come the next shoot.